Trying to fly for the military

Hey hacker15 are you at RAF Lakenheath,

a.k.a. General Mathews now Gen. Steels LAKENHEAVEN?

and where you there during Gen. Fogelson's reign on USAFE?

View Post
post_old.gif
Today, 08:49 Remove user from ignore list
pilotben1986 This message is hidden because pilotben1986 is on your ignore list.

pilotben1986 This message is hidden because pilotben1986 is on your ignore list.​

pilotben1986 This message is hidden because pilotben1986 is on your ignore list.​

Kinda says it all, doesn't it? :D

Did MDPilot say something?

HA! It's a joke man, it's a joke. Don't poop in my v-file bro! ;)

I figure it was like this.

I really wanted to fly in the military when I was in high school. I lived, ate, breathed, thought about and secreted from my skin military aviation. I'd have slapped a nun in order to even have a five minute conversation with a military aviator because where I grew up, you farmed, worked at a dairy or worked at a creamery and there wasn't the series of tubes which is the internet.

It turns out that I didn't meet the physical requirements and from what I learned during college, not a whole heck of a lot of your overall duties in the military revolves around flying and you need a thirst to be an officer first, and then an aviator second. Kind of like the point that every Marine, whether he be an officer or enlisted, O-1 to O-Whatever is a Rifleman first and everything else second.

So when I see a thread where present and former military aviators are calmly and patiently giving out insight and information on their first hand experiences and there's a couple of us that are doing the "Yeah, but" dance and attempting to debate with the way things ought to work in their eyes, it's good to see that we have military aviators that are here answering questions. I'd have KILLED for an opportunity like this while I was in high school and college. But then it's sad because some on the other side of the thread don't have a grasp of who (and what) they're trying to debate.

I see reservists, current military aviators, IP's, folks who've been shot at, folks who have done the shooting, pilots that have put and ARE putting their butts on the line for our country, their fellow airmen and their mission. Me? I've been a civilian professional pilot for almost 16 or so years and I'm all ears man. I don't have a lick of experience in the military.... so me? Personally? I'm doing waaaaaaaaaaaay more listening in the thread than even attempting to counter the argument.

Hell, there's no argument to be made because they're telling it like it is.

Speaking of that, here's a little public service announcement. I sat down for a nice turkey dinner with my family out here in California on thursday, in safety, whereas the world was falling apart in India... on television. Thank you for your service to our nation. I could have easily been nibbling on a can of spam in the smoldering wreckage of my hometown as MiGs and Sukhois flew sorties overhead or hiding from some crazed jihadist without the ability to empathize with those that don't share his worldview lobs grenades at innocent people... But it's folks like you that keep the bad guys thousands of miles away on the cable news, rather than my mom's front yard. Thanks! I mean it too.

ok jeez Oh and if you know or even think you know something more than another person try not being jerks when correcting them especially when you are representing you, your unit, your branch, or the military... c'mon I know we all learned that one, just be cool about situation and this kind of stuff wont go on for ever. I'll try not being so bad either.

Or try not be so sensitive when the info you provide is not accurate and called on it. Nothing wrong with not being in the military and being a military pilot. The military is not for everyone and even not meant for some of us in it. However, the experience is second to none, the training, missions, flying is something that will not ever be experienced on the civilian side....thus that's why it's called the military.

View Post
post_old.gif
Today, 08:49 Remove user from ignore list
pilotben1986 This message is hidden because pilotben1986 is on your ignore list.

Kinda says it all, doesn't it? :D

yeah I suppose...They are a little upset. oh well I wanted to make amends. Fixing the situation is a lot better than ignoring it.
that's too bad.

pilotben1986,

BS, you didn't want to make amends. You were trolling for others to make amends to you.

I am a retired Naval Flight Officer and currently I'm currently a B-767 FO at a major airline. I have a experience in corporate, fractional and general aviation too.

Everything you have posted is absolutely and totally f'ing wrong. You need to learn to keep your mouth shut and to listen more. Giving advise when you have neither the knowledge or experience in the relevant arena does no one any good and makes you seem like an idiot.

It's time for you to quit trying to dig your way out of the bottomless pit you have thrown yourself.

pilotben1986,

BS, you didn't want to make amends. You were trolling for others to make amends to you.

I am a retired Naval Flight Officer and currently I'm currently a B-767 FO at a major airline. I have a experience in corporate, fractional and general aviation too.

Everything you have posted is absolutely and totally f'ing wrong. You need to learn to keep your mouth shut and to listen more. Giving advise when you have neither the knowledge or experience in the relevant arena does no one any good and makes you seem like an idiot.

It's time for you to quit trying to dig your way out of the bottomless pit you have thrown yourself.

:yeahthat:That's gotta hurt...the truth that is.

Hey hacker15 are you at RAF Lakenheath,

a.k.a. General Mathews now Gen. Steels LAKENHEAVEN?

and where you there during Gen. Fogelson's reign on USAFE?

Fortunately, I missed both Doc Foglesong and Mathews. There have been two Wing CCs since Steel, and fortunately both of them guys that I respect and went to great lengths to reduce the 'Lakenpain'.

You know pilotben1986 was onto something about Warrant Officers in the Army Aviation branch being somewhat their own bosses. This place seems to be dominated by jet jockeys though. Where are my rotary winged brethren?!
If I had a penny for each time my ears were nearly blown out by full-afterburner'd F-15's taking off out of Bagram, I'd be a rich man. Silly fixed wings.
Being above 10,000AGL is cool and all, but being 50AGL dodging tracer fire and RPG's... that's where the true action lives.

You know pilotben1986 was onto something about Warrant Officers in the Army Aviation branch being somewhat their own bosses.

That's funny... I seem to remember being the boss to quite a few warrant officers. That they might have thought they were their own bosses is probably true, though. ;)

pilotben1986,

Nice point. I flew for 15 years in the Navy, and now fly civilian in a world completely different than almost any civilian operation out there. Of my 25 pilots only 3 have any military pilot experience. Everything Hacker, Ian, and bunk have been saying is 100% true. Frankly IMHO the poster sounds like he's a little bitter at the AF and has got a bit of a chip.

You know pilotben1986 was onto something about Warrant Officers in the Army Aviation branch being somewhat their own bosses.
Even in TF Shadow, ALL WO's work for Commissioned Officers. If in doubt, go to the TOC and ask Big John or Ron who they work for. The same goes for the W-5's in the "tool shed" who work for D6. :D

This place seems to be dominated by jet jockeys though. Where are my rotary winged brethren?!
Last time I checked, this website is called "jetcarreers.com", although I could be mistaken.

If I had a penny for each time my ears were nearly blown out by full-afterburner'd F-15's taking off out of Bagram, I'd be a rich man. Silly fixed wings.
Yes I agree, but according to the F-15 pilots, afterburner TO's are req'd for their gross weights and current density altitudes. Try hearing protection on the flight line, it works.

Being above 10,000AGL is cool and all, but being 50AGL dodging tracer fire and RPG's... that's where the true action lives.
I agree on this as well. But after a long exciting career, I'd trade places with them in a heart beat.

Don't you lift guy's usually stay above 500' and out of SA lethal range until RP inbound? :confused:

FYI to all you current/ex-military pilots who think your posts are going in one ear and out other, they're not. Thanks for the perspectives.

Yes I agree, but according to the F-15 pilots, afterburner TO's are req'd for their gross weights and current density altitudes.

Burner takeoffs are the norm for the F-15E at Bagram or anywhere else. The jets over there are taking off at bamn near 80,000# and the field elevation is 4500'-ish. That means there is a pretty tight window between decision speed and refusal speed. In that respect, it's about safety, not showing off. You'd be surprised at the stopping distances required for the jet at that weight. Although there's a cable there and we can use the hook for an aborted takeoff, with a bunch of bombs on board it's not a safe bet to take a departure end barrier -- the F-15 has a tendency to tip over sometimes if you don't take the cable just right.

Second, in an area where Hadji can be sitting 2 miles off the end of the runway with an SA-7 (or worse), we need AIRSPEED and QUICK in order to be able to do anything in case of a launch. The faster we get fast, the faster we climb out of that MANPAD WEZ.

Fortunately, I missed both Doc Foglesong and Mathews. There have been two Wing CCs since Steel, and fortunately both of them guys that I respect and went to great lengths to reduce the 'Lakenpain'.

but Steel is still there?

ha ha lakenpain why not call it Lakengrief!

do you guys have to pay to use the U.K.s controlling agencies... I mean as the military? I know I did when I flew there Civ. They would ask me if I wanted to accept more radar and controller services??? well what the heck am I going to say no! please sir dont provide me any separation or services of any kind because I dont have cash or credit on hand? not that I wouldnt have any just that it is BS to have to pay every time I land and BS that I have to pay to file IFR and use there services...just wondering if you guys had to do the same?

you know the U.S. is talking about doing the same crap! that will kill GA.

Good ol doc Fulgesong - "Me and ole tripple seven are here at team Aviano (or where ever it was that day) to remind you that FOD is...or to remind you to wear a helmet while on a bike..." or something like that I always enjoyed those AFN commercials... The new guy I call him "Where's Waldo" because he is always hidding behind some Airman in a different spot every commercial and is really hard to find:laff:..."Flying and fighting and winning!"

pilotben1986,

OMG! what is wrong with you?

you on drugs?

Back