Midwest’s remaining 717s could be grounded

DPApilot

GUYSH! GUYSH! GUYSH!
Midwest Airlines plans to eventually ground the nine remaining Boeing 717s in its fleet in 2009, according to a Midwest pilot.
Greg Uselmann, who has worked as a pilot for 25 years, including the past 10 at Midwest Airlines, said he believes it is Midwest’s intent to take the remaining 717s in its fleet out of service in 2009, a move he claimed could lead to even more layoffs at the airline.
Uselmann, who is set to be laid off from Midwest by mid-November, claimed that Midwest entered into short-term leases for the remaining 717s, which he said shows Midwest’s intent to remove the aircraft from the fleet in quick order.
Midwest Air Group Inc., Oak Creek, which operates Midwest Airlines, recently entered into an agreement with Indianapolis-based Republic Airways Holdings Inc. that eventually will result in Midwest replacing all but nine of the 25 Boeing 717s it had in its fleet with smaller Embraer E170 regional jets that it is leasing from Republic.
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2008/10/27/story5.html

Midwest: ALPA
Republic: IBT

Midwest Capt. rate: $153 (16 yr)
Republic Capt. rate: $98 (16 yr)

Draw your own conclusions.

When you where at XJT merit did you volunteer for any ALPA positions?

If you did great! If not you shouldn't be asking questions.

So when are the Midwest guys going on strike? If I thought my airline was itching to give away my job I would burn the place to the ground before they got the chance. (figuratively of course)

That just says what the payrates are. A Republic captain flies a 78-86 seat aircraft, depending on the configuration and a Midwest Captain flies a 99-117 seat aircraft, depending on configuration.

So when are the Midwest guys going on strike? If I thought my airline was itching to give away my job I would burn the place to the ground before they got the chance. (figuratively of course)

Hell yeah!

But i thought i read somewhere that it'd be illegal for them to strike (something about their contract terms?).

But i sure as hell would be striking if i was in there shoes (per se). Its terrible what's going on with them!:banghead:

Think about it. Your airline wants to fly different aircraft and they want you to take a paycut. They have another airline ready to fly the routes and your airline says you and your fellow pilots can fly these aircraft when the transition is complete. Do you think going on strike is going to help your cause?

Word in our "A-line" company newsletter at AirTran the other day mentioned the possibility of leasing 5 ex-Midwest 717's starting early next year to fill in some gaps of 737's we've been/are selling....

Hope Midwest makes it though:whatever:

Ok, since it's clear you have no intention of explaining what's going on, I'll explain for the people that read this and have no idea what you mean:

Midwest wants it's pilots to take a large paycut to help the airline out of trouble and the pilots are not willing to just give up wages just like that. So, the airline is in the process of laying off 75% of the pilot group and grounding all but 9 "mainline" aircraft. Meanwhile, Midwest has made an agreement with Republic Airways to fly at least 12 E-170s. Republic crews are currently crewing the aircraft and Midwest says they plan on crewing those aircraft with Midwest crews within a year and a half. This will likely be hung like a carrot for the Midwest pilot group, because Midwest can just save money with the Republic crews if the Midwest pilot group does not concede.

The Republic pilot group's contract says that any Republic owned aircraft need to be crewed by Republic pilots and they don't just want to lose aircraft to another airline anyway. This is not a good situation for either pilot group and Republic pilots have picketed with Midwest pilots about this. Republic pilots are, from what I understand, frustrated with their MEC for allowing this flying to be thrust in their face. Just the fact that there likely are pilots at Republic bidding this flying does not mean that the pilot group as a whole is completely happy about this. Just as much, I'm sure there are Midwest pilots that are fine with concessions. Both pilot groups need to figure out how to stop this madness. Velo wants everyone to believe that the Republic pilot group is to blame and the Midwest pilot group could do no wrong. The last thing Midwest's pilot group would want to believe is that and they generally don't. If the Midwest pilot group just walked off and basically muttered "undercut" to Midwest's management would probably tell them that they can have their jobs or they can leave.

Truth is, neither pilot group is in a good spot.

My question is, would it be different if Midwest tried to bring in another 717 operator? I'd say that'd be something more along the lines of Velo's talk and just might be a violation of contract. The current situation is not, unfortunately and THAT is why this is a little more complicated than undercutting, seat for seat.

When you where at XJT merit did you volunteer for any ALPA positions?

If you did great! If not you shouldn't be asking questions.

Wasn't that ALPA's position? Didn't you sport that saying time and time again?

Has ALPA done anything for job security lately for anyone other than continue to offer concessions and now, this?

That just says what the payrates are. A Republic captain flies a 78-86 seat aircraft, depending on the configuration and a Midwest Captain flies a 99-117 seat aircraft, depending on configuration.

So what's your point. The RAH pilots are flying Midwest's routes, undercutting Midwest's pilots. And now Midwest management wants them to take another significant pay cut or they'll contract out ALL the flying.

Good thing Regional pilots are getting rid of all the good paying airline jobs by flying another Company's work.

The giant sucking sound of this profession going down the tubes continues. And when you young guys can't make a living wage in 20 years, you'll know who to thank...the guy in the mirror with SJS.

The irony here is that Midwest fought off an attempted takeover by Air Tran, then basically turns around and hands everything to Republic. If they wanted to get out of the flying business, why didn't they just give it to Air Tran?

Back