United Hiring (again!)

Wear the suit.
164241814_109630397880550_5887187310717387071_n.jpg

With that being said. For future reference, if anyone ever needs a decent suit for cheap. I recommend Alain Dupetit’s website. I always order a few sizes too big and then bring em to a tailor after the fact. All in (even with next day shipping) you can have a decent suit for less than $250.

Here is some crazy crap. A few mentioned that the UA exam was straight out of the ADX book. So, I tried to purchase the Sheppard Air study tool for the ADX. Uh...NOPE!
You have to call them to sign up. They must check FAA records, but they new I already have my DX cert. and they REFUSED to sell to me
the ADX or ATP study material!!! WWWWHHHHAAAATTT? The very sweet lady told me,"their study guide is ONLY for those taking the actual FAA written exam". I explained the sitch and she just kep repeating the same line like a f-ing robot.
She gave me the email for the Big Boss and so I sent them a request to allow others who still need to study/practice/refresh to buy the study guide.

Here is some crazy crap. A few mentioned that the UA exam was straight out of the ADX book. So, I tried to purchase the Sheppard Air study tool for the ADX. Uh...NOPE!
You have to call them to sign up. They must check FAA records, but they new I already have my DX cert. and they REFUSED to sell to me
the ADX or ATP study material!!! WWWWHHHHAAAATTT? The very sweet lady told me,"their study guide is ONLY for those taking the actual FAA written exam". I explained the sitch and she just kep repeating the same line like a f-ing robot.
She gave me the email for the Big Boss and so I sent them a request to allow others who still need to study/practice/refresh to buy the study guide.
You will not need Sheppard Air to study for the assessment. That course is based strictly on memorizing answers to questions that I quite frankly have never been asked since getting my cert.

It will be helpful to review your materials/notes from dx school if you still have them as the assessment focuses mostly on the basics. Such as knowing enroute/approach charts thoroughly (MOCAs, MEAs, FAF, DH, Missed Approach procedures, etc) Refreshing on the weather and decoding metars, tafs, thunderstorm hazards/development etc. And knowing basic aircraft systems such as flight controls, apu, hydraulics and so on.

United wants to make sure you know the basics and the assessment is formatted much like your final eval from back in dx school.

Last edited:

I’ve heard it was similar to the ADX as well. So some coworkers and I copped the Sheffield app. It was like $50. But so far it’s helped me jog my memory. THAT BEING SAID…..

You will not need Sheppard Air to study for the assessment. That course is based strictly on memorizing answers to questions that I quite frankly have never been asked since getting my cert.

It will be helpful to review your materials/notes from dx school if you still have them as the assessment focuses mostly on the basics. Such as knowing enroute/approach charts thoroughly (such as MOCAs, MEAs, FAF, DH, Missed Approach procedures, etc) Refreshing on the weather and decoding metars, tafs, thunderstorm hazards/development etc. And knowing basic aircraft systems such as flight controls, apu, hydraulics and so on.

United wants to make sure you know the basics and their test is formatted much like your final eval was in dx school.
See I’ve heard friends say they’ve had no weather questions. Definitely some enroute chart and approach plate questions. A few basic aircraft questions. You need to score at least a 70 percent to move on to the panel interview. Which as it stands right now, of those that I’ve known that have taken it, about %50 of them have made it that far.

Dress professionally, act professionally. You never know who's on that airplane on your way to(AND FROM) the interview.

Don't whinge about another shop, at a shop.

Good luck to everyone.

So how is everyone making out wrt the testing and in person panel? Success? No Pass? You can tell us. We're here to listen and help.
You know....,all for one, one for all...rising tide lifts all boats. That sort of thing...

So how is everyone making out wrt the testing and in person panel? Success? No Pass? You can tell us. We're here to listen and help.
You know....,all for one, one for all...rising tide lifts all boats. That sort of thing...
roughly half of those that I know that have taken the test have done well enough to move onto the panel interview. The ones that went through the panel have had mixed reviews. One felt good about it. The other not so well. I think there are at least a few others (myself included) that are still going out there from my shop in the coming weeks. I just got my suit in. That next day shipping ain't no joke.

Wow...just 50%?? Someone posted that we shouldn't worry too much about the test. But maybe we should.
Thanks BustaCrop.

I'll also throw this out. That the smartest people I know (that have also gone on to work there or are actively trying to) have "only" scored in the low to mid 80's. but those same people have done over 90 or better on the WN exam. There isn't one person I know that has taken that test and thought it was particularly easy.

Just study that green ADX book you got during dispatch school and you will be fine.
Know your primary and secondary flight controls and what they do/ Learn how to read high altitude charts.

A 50% pass rate for the test seems about right from what I've heard of candidates progressing or not. I know everyone at my shop has passed so far, but a few got in the low 70's. The best was an 83 or so and he was very nervous hitting submit. It's not a breezy test, but it is very passable.

Most everyone has felt pretty good coming out of the panel. They want you to do well and do a very good job of trying to help you relax, at least my panel did.

Also, wear the suit.

NAILED IT! I think. :cool:
I had a nice time at Willis Twr. The computer test was NOT easy. Many ATP type questions. Had to guess, but still go 75%. Good thing I stayed at that Holiday Inn and read all my old F-16 manuals. Know the airspeeds associated with approach catagories. (A,,B,C,D speeds).

In person panel was standard stuff. some HR TMAAT.... Then some major deep dives into scenarios. Others have mentioned this. Not too difficult.
I was there 3 hrs and then shadowed a dxer for an hour up on the floor. Not sure if they offer the shadow phase to everyone. Seemed impromtu.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!! 6 CLASSES FOR 2024 = 120 newbies!! You can do it! :):cool::p:p

NAILED IT! I think. :cool:
I had a nice time at Willis Twr. The computer test was NOT easy. Many ATP type questions. Had to guess, but still go 75%. Good thing I stayed at that Holiday Inn and read all my old F-16 manuals. Know the airspeeds associated with approach catagories. (A,,B,C,D speeds).

In person panel was standard stuff. some HR TMAAT.... Then some major deep dives into scenarios. Others have mentioned this. Not too difficult.
I was there 3 hrs and then shadowed a dxer for an hour up on the floor. Not sure if they offer the shadow phase to everyone. Seemed impromtu.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!! 6 CLASSES FOR 2024 = 120 newbies!! You can do it! :):cool::p:p

Good to hear!

Back