Is it really as grim as they say?

I was in in nyc area recently, a 12 pack can of soda was more than 10 dollars.

I’m guessing the B6 people are from that area or living very frugal lol , I might need a roommate if I live in NYC area lol

I was in in nyc area recently, a 12 pack can of soda was more than 10 dollars.

I’m guessing the B6 people are from that area or living very frugal lol , I might need a roommate if I live in NYC area lol

Yeah NYC is overpriced. I’d say the super majority of dispatchers live in the suburbs of LI, NJ, CT. Much better COL/QOL. With that said, there are plenty of decent apartments within train distance of the SOC that are in the $1000-2000/m for a 1 bedroom but the problem is those apartments are hard to get. I have read several articles recently that rent prices are going down in NYC, though. YMMV.

With that said, I’d still rather live in the tri state area than most of the other SOC locations in the US. But that’s me.

It's worth noting that subreddit in particular is populated by a lot of people who seem to have been told that dispatch was an easy way to make $100k without a college degree and are now extremely salty that they missed the brief wave where that was true. Everything I heard and read made sure to clarify that the post-Covid situation was unique historically, and likely would end soon... but some people didn't get the message, it seems.

And let's remember that the current abrupt slowdown is primarily due to both major aircraft manufacturers having significant issues; Boeing with... well, everything, but especially the 737 MAX program; and Airbus with the A320neo's P&W engines. When those start getting fixed, and planes start coming online en masse again, there will be another wave of hiring (provided we don't hit a recession, which none of us here are qualified to predict). There is still travel demand that the industry isn't able to fill. When the planes arrive to fill it, more bodies will be needed to make those planes fly.

Getting into a regional isn't sunshine and rainbows right now like it was even 12 months ago, and from what I'm hearing, you might have to wait a couple hiring cycles (applying to the same places, which shows you want to be there) if you don't have previous aviation experience and don't stand out in some other way. So long as you are accepting of that, and accepting of the risk that predicting the future is very imperfect, right now the long-term forecast is actually quite good for our industry, despite the current slowdown.
if I may piggyback on this reply...I listened to a podcast very recently and an airline economist had very good things to say about demand for the foreseeable future for all airlines. The issue will be Mx related for alot of airlines. This was stated above but hearing a few things from people working at different airlines that some are hitting pause on hiring some headquarter positions, but for the most part alot of areas in all organizations will be backfilling positions in needed areas, but not overstaffing for the summer schedule. So yeah its good, but not great! Still jobs worth getting just need some patience and an open mind.

if I may piggyback on this reply...I listened to a podcast very recently and an airline economist had very good things to say about demand for the foreseeable future for all airlines. The issue will be Mx related for alot of airlines. This was stated above but hearing a few things from people working at different airlines that some are hitting pause on hiring some headquarter positions, but for the most part alot of areas in all organizations will be backfilling positions in needed areas, but not overstaffing for the summer schedule. So yeah its good, but not great! Still jobs worth getting just need some patience and an open mind.
Airlines will always be hiring. Barring an unforeseen major global crisis, hiring will continue as it always has. The demand is there and profits are still there. Every quarter, my carrier touts record # of passengers this holiday...record broken for this...record for that...so profitability and demand has been back. The problem is the misconception that the hiring of the past few years was normal. It wasn't, and we are simply getting back to the point that hiring will once again be competitive and require hard work. The vibe (especially on reddit) has been this career field is the equivalent of getting a golden ticket from Willy Wonka to quickly get handed a six figure career. That is not the case, without hard work, a little patience, and the right timing. Stay positive and it WILL pay off. Just don't expect it to be an easy ride to the top.

I was just in Anaheim at the beginning of March.
Gas: $4.28 a gallon.

A 2 bedroom, one bath in the Valley...North Hollywood...is going to be about $1750 a month.
Airlines will always be hiring. Barring an unforeseen major global crisis, hiring will continue as it always has. The demand is there and profits are still there. Every quarter, my carrier touts record # of passengers this holiday...record broken for this...record for that...so profitability and demand has been back. The problem is the misconception that the hiring of the past few years was normal. It wasn't, and we are simply getting back to the point that hiring will once again be competitive and require hard work. The vibe (especially on reddit) has been this career field is the equivalent of getting a golden ticket from Willy Wonka to quickly get handed a six figure career. That is not the case, without hard work, a little patience, and the right timing. Stay positive and it WILL pay off. Just don't expect it to be an easy ride to the top.
Or an easy takeoff and climb, either...

I was just in Anaheim at the beginning of March.
Gas: $4.28 a gallon.

A 2 bedroom, one bath in the Valley...North Hollywood...is going to be about $1750 a month.

Or an easy takeoff and climb, either...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240406_213105_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240406_213105_Chrome.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20240406_213202_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240406_213202_Chrome.jpg
    802.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20240406_213214_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240406_213214_Chrome.jpg
    850 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20240406_213225_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240406_213225_Chrome.jpg
    927.6 KB · Views: 61
IMG_0038.jpeg
IMG_0040.png
IMG_0042.png
IMG_0041.png
IMG_0039.png

Thank you for demonstrating my point.
Google...is deceptive...and it's not your friend when it comes to looking at things like rent prices or fuel prices.

Gas going up from beginning of March to April 1...is natural for the price cycle.

same with aviation fuel.

Besides there's a reason those places are cheaper. Saw the nice window accessories! One doesn't even have a photo of the listing...I wonder why?

Back