Youtuber Fatal Crash

Go Pro’s are amazing tools … that are being misused, for the most part.

I don’t think I’ve heard of an inexperienced pilot paying their CFI to review every solo takeoff and landing, as well as other procedures. That kinda review is a lot of bang for the buck.

They can be used as effective learning tool, however they are usually a vehicle for attention seeking behavior.

None of that is new, though.

I can tell you that I have had to say "you're other up" to a student more than once over the years. Same as "your other left!"

I can tell you that I have had to say "you're other up" to a student more than once over the years. Same as "your other left!"

Or my briefings to engage FOs:

“ since we are using the 34s make sure I turn left not right out of the alley. Because you know expectation bias…”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never a fan of “watch me fly” videos. I don’t need to see the pilot as it just leads to dumb behavior.

Sorry

Also about the least interesting thing to watch, ever. WE all know that interesting stuff is happening all the way through the video, but for the uninitiated it's astonishingly yawn-inducing. There's a reason pilot-nerds have to speed the video up to x20 just to hold their heads up high and post, and the things still never get any "likes". Yo, gang, you're just going to have to live with the approbation of your peers and the knowledge of a job well-done.

Also about the least interesting thing to watch, ever. WE all know that interesting stuff is happening all the way through the video, but for the uninitiated it's astonishingly yawn-inducing. There's a reason pilot-nerds have to speed the video up to x20 just to hold their heads up high and post, and the things still never get any "likes". Yo, gang, you're just going to have to live with the approbation of your peers and the knowledge of a job well-done.

This is going to be my post flight debrief from now on:

View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0ux6uPLBpN/?igshid=ZDE1MWVjZGVmZQ==

Two things in aviation media that absolutely grind my gears - CGI which is Satan. And Go Pro cameras. Do you know how many videos I've eagerly clicked titled "Watch new built Pitts Model 12/Stearman C3B/Waco Xyz" or something and I click the video and all the Go Pro shows is some doofus in the rear cockpit and a shot of the tail? More that 10. Pisses me off every time. I'm pissed now just typing it.

Two things in aviation media that absolutely grind my gears - CGI which is Satan. And Go Pro cameras. Do you know how many videos I've eagerly clicked titled "Watch new built Pitts Model 12/Stearman C3B/Waco Xyz" or something and I click the video and all the Go Pro shows is some doofus in the rear cockpit and a shot of the tail? More that 10. Pisses me off every time. I'm pissed now just typing it.

There are so many good memes about horrible GoPro FPV in the mountain bike community.

It’s clearly time to up your game…

So I looked her up on the tube. As one might expect plenty of vultures, including Gryder, have posted about her death.

Something about social media, YouTube, Tik tok, etc & aviation just makes the nastiest combination sometimes, maybe most times…

RIP

I'd agree. And blancorillo has got a video about her accident already. After giving his opinion on the Alaska-Hawaiian merger as, I quote, "someone who's gone through this rodeo before."

Here's a novel idea. How about these look-at-me filming types lay off youtube and let the family grieve for a bit before giving their worthless two cents on the demise of these people.

blancorillo and Gryder should be ashamed of themselves. Sometimes, just sometimes, you don't have to be the first to something about someone's crash. Or merger.

Yep, that's the one. I haven't spent much time watching her videos, and perhaps her content is good, it just gives me an unprofessional vibe. And I think it's worth noting that her gender has nothing to do with that - I get the same sense from the guys I see doing it.

If that's the one I'm thinking of, she's a SW FO. Capt was previous gig.

I get her in my youtube shorts for some reason. I think cause I watched a short by mylayoverlife guy, so now the algorithm learned. I don't think I've seen her film anything during takeoff/landing/flight itself. She seems overly optimistic, bubbly, but I don't know if unprofessional is the right word. She seems ok.

The British guy at your shop is one of the maybe two influencers that doesn't make me cringe, seems like he just enjoys his job.

The ex-bush and ferry pilot?

One of the best CAs I flew with. Awesome guy!

I'll give her credit, she at least realized when she was deficient. Unfortunately, she failed to really do anything about it to address it with remedial instruction and it came back to bite her. She also had no business being in something with the performance of a Bonanza. You could just tell things were happening too quickly for her. This video is a great example of that:

View: https://youtu.be/uoUVXkS8Pro?si=28YtDVC8q73FRoG8

I feel like the aviation here augmented the Youtubing instead of it being the other way around like it should be. Looking at her Youtube channel, she was already selling "pilot girl" merchandise. She wanted to be a star and she did become one, for the wrong reasons.

Is that a CFI with her? Did he literally reach across her arms to re-latch a small ass window WHILE she is attempting to rotate? And then decides to have a conversation about said window at 20-30 ft off the ground? While they are getting rocked by gusty winds, gear still down, because no one has called for it?

Pulling out a cellphone and browsing it during instruction, on vectors to join an ILS?

And he's over-doing things that she should be doing. Why not let her do it? If she missed it, call it out to her, and let her do it. Masking it isn't going to help her.

I question the quality of CFI(s) she has had.

Yeah, this wouldn't be my instructor for long. Reminds me of youtuber CFI Mr. tapping-his-fingers-on-a-plane while his "slow" student does the walkaround.

If that's the one I'm thinking of, she's a SW FO. Capt was previous gig.

I get her in my youtube shorts for some reason. I think cause I watched a short by mylayoverlife guy, so now the algorithm learned. I don't think I've seen her film anything during takeoff/landing/flight itself. She seems overly optimistic, bubbly, but I don't know if unprofessional is the right word. She seems ok.

The ex-bush and ferry pilot?

One of the best CAs I flew with. Awesome guy!

Some people are optimistic and bubbly.

Nowhere in the FOM does it say miserable sad sack is part of the uniform.

Plus it's rarely the view of what they're doing. It generally an angled-shot of some kid with sunglasses on making a basic visual approach act like they've just split the atom or something.

When I retire, I'm totally becoming an internet troll to the ones that survive.

Ok, I watched a couple of the videos.

It feels like the confluence of too many non-operational distractions, versus poor flight instruction, versus the complexity of the aircraft.

The CFI is playing with his telephone, the pilot has very student-pilot level control of the aircraft, misunderstood technology in the aircraft, poor systems knowledge (why the crap is she even messing with the autopilot?) PLUS trying to be an amateur film producer all at the same time.

Six-pack 172 for basic attitude instrument and instrument instruction. No autopilot, no constant speed prop, no landing gear to worry about no GPS, just the plain unglamorous basics. Get those down SOLID, and then start introducing complexity, gradually, in layers.

Trying to get the aircraft to climb, with the power back, untrimmed and it stalls ON AUTOPILOT with the casual indifference of "oh it stalled"... What?!

As long as we keep clicking Jerry's videos, or Blanco or even Daily Mail (which still sucks), they're going to keep producing content. Sure I'll watch social media videos, but very skeptical on how I spend my "clicks". Will I watch Rob Holland's latest maneuver - hell yes but will I click on some other influencer's new video about their journey through a 141 program or making shrimp gumbo in a lavatory sink? Nope.

Keep asking for garbage, and they'll keep producing garbage.

Back