You're the Front Desk Staff (similar to "You're the Captain")

sorrygottarunway

You\'re the Front Desk Staff (similar to \"You\'re the Captain\")

So, my saturday working the front desk at my flight school was crappy anyway, with people wanting fuel, complaining about not getting it "RIGHT NOW" and bitching to me for their plane not starting when they didn't pre-heat and cranked the battery to death.

But nothing compares to about an hour before my shift ended:

In walks a good-looking, about my age (22) kid with a shirt and tie and a folder. He tells me he's a flight instructor, freshly graduated from (famous aviation college)* with about 259 TT, 29 multi, 19 actual IFR, half of TT as PIC, looking for a position, would there be anyone around who he could talk to? I told him our manager is out on the weekends, but I would gladly take his resume and have him fill out an application. After the necessaries were filled out, I put the app on the manager's desk, reminded him to "follow up" with a call in a week, and that was it.

No more than 10 minutes later I get a call asking for the former name of our flight school, it was the same kid. I explained how we were the same place, and I was the one he just gave his resume too. I also used the opportunity to tell him I was an instrument student, also just graduated, and that I understood how the industry is very tough now, many are in the same boat, I hope it gets better soon, we all just have to work through it, yadda yadda.

Then the kicker: He responds quite arrogantly, "Listen, this is not a job search. I'm past that stuff, I have my ratings, I'm a professional in a career. I've paid my dues to 'this industry' so that I don't have to work a desk job." (or something to that effect) And that was it. Insulted, I just said "sure ok, sorry," and hung up. I couldn't believe someone could be that arrogant.

I guess bad days are to be expected in an FBO, but I was appalled at this. Everyone has to go through the dirt before getting the "dues paid." I just don't understand. What the heck does this "paying of the dues" mean. How much dues?

*not displayed, I dont want to pick on any place.

Re: You\'re the Front Desk Staff (similar to \"You\'re the Captain\")

I voted for leaving the resume...but telling the boss. But that depends. Did this guy get your name???

nope, no clue. I was just the "desk boy" from 7:30am to 2pm.

I am thinking that this kid also needs a job, he probably has to pay off loans. Heck, if he does have an attitude, then it will maybe not be so good when he "pays his dues" at the regionals or something. But why make trouble when most of the CFIs go gaga when a half-eaten pizza is thrown on our "crew-mess" table.

If he thinks he knows it all, he should have Misty tear him apart....see how he likes that!
grin.gif

Yea I would just tell the manager here is his app then tell him what he said and how he acted.. Not too good of an idea to rip up the app and resume since it could come back and bite ya later. Id just leave it on his desk and tell him how he had a poor attitude. That would be incentive enough not to hire the guy most likely. At the place I work since we were an equal oppertunity employer and blah blah we were required to keep all apps on file for at least 6 months. Even if there was no way we would hire the person. I remember one fellow came in and said look ive got the ratings, I went through your program, im qualified with a degree so should I come in tuesday to start the new hire paperwork? When he was told that we werent hiring at the time he said so does this mean that I start next month then, I expect a job within a month since I went through the program. This was what he said when he dropped his resume off. Needless to say his app immediately went to the bottom of the pile and he was never given the time of day again.

What a loser, I would give the resume in but tell the manager. You cant let that get under your skin, I hope he would never treat students this way.

[ QUOTE ]
What a loser, I would give the resume in but tell the manager. You cant let that get under your skin, I hope he would never treat students this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Write something on his resume....like he is part of some anti-danbury hate group!
cool.gif

I wouldn't rip it up, but it would mysteriously disappear from sight!!!
grin.gif

You should share what flight school he was from. I am sure everyone wants to know, even if he is from a school some guys/gals go to.

Boy, that guy has some lessons to learn! If you're job hunting, you kiss the butt of every employee you see at an outfit you want to work for.

If you were going to be around when the boss sees the resume, I'd tell him in person your experience. If not, then write a short note, but be sure to let the boss know what you saw!

I wanted to say to rip it up, but I voted for taking the high road and telling the manager that the guy is a •.

I would definately leave the resume but be sure to tell the manager how the individual reacted. It would be unprofessional on your part to rip the resume up. I feel for you, I also work the desk at the local FBO and deal with a lot of the same stuff. Just recently I had two flight students in from the local university. They were buying sectionals for their upcoming checkrides and were acting very rude and cocky. They walked around like they were the only ones in the world that could fly planes. I hate to see people act like that in this industry, I personally believe that professoinalism is someting that needs to be instilled early in their careers but often is not. Those people usually end up learning a lesson later in life.

Ha, this guy has 259TT time, mostly single engine, and he thinks he's paid his dues!
grin.gif
If I was working the desk and he said that to me, I would have told him that we had a bathroom that needed cleaning! His resume has a destination to the trash can! How arrogant! That guy has a lot to learn!

Just because someone is unprofessional doesn't mean that you have to be. Forward the resume to your manager, and tell him that you think the guy has a real attitude.

You know what they tell you when you go for any interview? Don't piss off the receptionist, the admin, or anyone. Be just as polite to them as you are to the guy you interview with because you can be sure that if you cop an attitude with those people, the guy making the hiring decision will hear about it.

So guess what? They're right.

Throw the resume away. You don't owe him anything. If he thinks his dues have been paid he's got another thing comming. He's just beginning to pay his dues. He obviously has a very distorted reality of how this industry works any you aren't doing him any favors by handing him a job he thinks he deserves, when that may not be the case. He needs to learn such displays of arrogance will get him nowhere. If he shows this attitude to potential regional or major airlines, he will never, ever, be offered a job. There are just too many qualified pilots out there with good positive attitudes.

[ QUOTE ]
I would definately leave the resume but be sure to tell the manager how the individual reacted. It would be unprofessional on your part to rip the resume up. I feel for you, I also work the desk at the local FBO and deal with a lot of the same stuff. Just recently I had two flight students in from the local university. They were buying sectionals for their upcoming checkrides and were acting very rude and cocky. They walked around like they were the only ones in the world that could fly planes. I hate to see people act like that in this industry, I personally believe that professoinalism is someting that needs to be instilled early in their careers but often is not. Those people usually end up learning a lesson later in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

(off topic) It wasn't me!!! Do you work at Centennial?

a) Don't throw out the resume...
b) Speak highly about him with your Boss
c) When he gets hired, make his existence MISERABLE!!!!

Just kidding......
wink.gif

"The toes you step on today might be attached to the a-- you have to kiss tomorrow."

He'll eventually learn the hard way that having all of your ratings from a "Big Name" school doesn't mean you've paid your dues, it just means that you've just started!
smile.gif

Believe me, I've been there. I spent my first few weeks of my job search with the attitude that "Hey, I'm a ERAU graduate! You should be happy I'm giving you a resume because I would so smoke anyone else you've hired!"

Then reality struck.

Back