You're on the approach when there's a deer!

Maybe it's a turboprop. I'm sure someone has them/can post them...there are pics floating around of a King Air and a deer encounter. It wasn't good for either party, but the deer definitely got the short end of the stick.

-mini
I think I have those on my hard drive...

Directly from Ch.5 of the instrument flying procedures handbook:

Once descent below the DA, DH, or MDA is begun, a
missed approach must be executed if the required visibility
is lost or the runway environment is no longer
visible, unless the loss of sight of the runway is a result
of normal banking of the aircraft during a circling
approach. A missed approach procedure is also
required upon the execution of a rejected landing for
any reason, such as men and equipment or animals on
the runway, or if the approach becomes unstabilized
and a normal landing cannot be performed. After the
MAP in the visual segment of a nonprecision approach
there may be hazards when executing a missed
approach below the MDA. Any missed approach after a
DA, DH, or MAP below the DA, DH, or MDA involves
additional risk until established on the published
missed approach procedure course and altitude.

Aim for the dear, that way I'll miss it. And if I do hit it, at least my family will have something to eat for a few weeks.:crazy:

It depends on where the dear is (distance down the runway), CIG's/etc don't matter otherwise. I'd go missed if I wasn't able to land (i.e. circle back around etc.). Safety is paramount. If I were low on fuel, and didn't have a choice but to land, well, sorry mr./ms. dear, but I am gonna try and hit you with a part of the plane that will a) take the hit well, and plow through you or b) hit you with a part of the plane that you will go right through, and not affect the stuff inside too much. Anyone ever seen the video of a tigermoth hitting a cow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCk4ywD_yyM

A dear would be no sweat:D

mshunter said:
Aim for the dear, that way I'll miss it. And if I do hit it, at least my family will have something to eat for a few weeks.:crazy:

It depends on where the dear is (distance down the runway), CIG's/etc don't matter otherwise. I'd go missed if I wasn't able to land (i.e. circle back around etc.). Safety is paramount. If I were low on fuel, and didn't have a choice but to land, well, sorry mr./ms. dear, but I am gonna try and hit you with a part of the plane that will a) take the hit well, and plow through you or b) hit you with a part of the plane that you will go right through, and not affect the stuff inside too much. Anyone ever seen the video of a tigermoth hitting a cow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCk4ywD_yyM

A dear would be no sweat:D

I don't think I've ever seen someone misspell "deer" so much in my life. Unless, of course, you're talking about your wife/girlfriend. In that case, carry on. :D

"Dear's on the runway! Oh hon, get off the tarmac and fetch me a red koolaid!"

P10100511.jpg
flychicaga

Go missed. Hitting a deer would not be fun... Perhaps additional risk from going missed past the MAP but hitting a deer would be additional risk too. A transport aircraft is going to climb better than the lowest common denominator the TERPS were designed for. Just my opinion.

That poor deer has a leash stuck around its neck.

I think executing the missed would be a good choice as long as you are familiar with the procedures (reviewed in the briefing) and know that there are no major obstacles that might be a factor after passing the MAP.

Go missed. Hitting a deer would not be fun... Perhaps additional risk from going missed past the MAP but hitting a deer would be additional risk too. A transport aircraft is going to climb better than the lowest common denominator the TERPS were designed for. Just my opinion.
Whoops. You just tossed a motor on the miss below/beyond the MAP at ASE.

Have fun with that.

-mini

flat terrain- missed. aspen- kill the deer.

i've hit a deer before in a navajo, it wasn't as much fun as it seems.

So would we fly the published missed approach or the obstacle departure procedure? And why or why not? :)

Beyond the MAP (and below MDA), I would consider it a "rejected landing," not a missed approach. Therefore, should we have any special departure procedures/single-engine departure procedures, I would follow that. In our briefings for an approach, we do brief the special departure procedure.

If there was no special departure procedure, I would climb to MDA, then initiate the missed approach procedure, as appropriate.

I'll add to the complexity of this situation, however. What would you do if your missed approach point was a VOR located at midfield, and you were rejecting the landing for a deer on the runway?

Let's say there isn't a deer on the runway. Instead, it's a contaminated (7000 x 100 ft) runway with 1/2 inch of wet snow, braking action reported fair to poor by a vehicle. You float 3500 feet down the runway, and you elect to go-around (at least I hope so!). Do you fly the missed approach procedure? If so, when do you commence it?

Really? You guys brief the ODP off of the back of the 10-9 chart for the runway you are shooting the approach to?

Back