Your thoughts on EFB's?

ANG is flying with EFB's now, thank god. It's a locked USAF iPad, so no cool stuff, but having all your reference material at your fingertips (and searchable) is amazing.

I guess the only "good" thing about my company going all "Mavericky" and choosing the Surface is that they're going to provide them to each user free.

So basically, they can do whatever they want, I'll keep my own private stuff I don't want the company having access to on my iPad and I'll treat it solely as another manual.

I guess the only "good" thing about my company going all "Mavericky" and choosing the Surface is that they're going to provide them to each user free.

So basically, they can do whatever they want, I'll keep my own private stuff I don't want the company having access to on my iPad and I'll treat it solely as another manual.

My niece has a surface. I was messing around with it the other day. Its actually kind of neat. A lot bigger than the iPad and seems like it might be a little more durable.

My niece has a surface. I was messing around with it the other day. Its actually kind of neat. A lot bigger than the iPad and seems like it might be a little more durable.

My beef is that we don't have a single piece of software, not even in alpha testing yet and a deployment date of "pretty soon".

So we'll be Alpha AND Beta testing the software and the unit.

Salsa with no chips.

My beef is that we don't have a single piece of software, not even in alpha testing yet and a deployment date of "pretty soon".

So we'll be Alpha AND Beta testing the software and the unit.

Salsa with no chips.

"Hey Derg you have that website, come here show me how this thing works.."

Let me know how that works out for you.

So I got my phablet in today.
41ZpZ-uBB9L.jpg

It's the international version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. It is different than the normal one, as it has a phone built it. ryanmickG says I look like a jackass talking on it.

My old 135 was considering EFB's for all aircraft and not just the Gulfstream fleet. The few times I used my iPad mini with even Fltplan.com free software was great. No Jepps to rip or lose, searchable with just some finger taps and all of it in one convenient package. The mini was fine in the CE-550/560 that I flew.

One big gripe: For me, the screen was much much too bright at night, even with the auto-brightness turned off and adjusted all the way down. But I loved having it as a back-up for information.

One big gripe: For me, the screen was much much too bright at night, even with the auto-brightness turned off and adjusted all the way down. But I loved having it as a back-up for information.

One of the coolest features of Avilution Aviation Maps on Android is night mode. It inverts most of the app, including plates and enroutes.

2013-08-16 21.24.09.png

"Hey Derg you have that website, come here show me how this thing works.."

Let me know how that works out for you.

And now you know the reason I hit the lounge, find a quiet corner, change into civvies and hide out.

"HAY MAN! You're that website guy! I use my kids LeapFrog as a netbook and I can't seem to get Candy Crush working, it's (SO/WICKED/HELLA/AW'FULLY) SLOW! Ken-ya help?"

Welp, had my iPad mini for a couple of days and WOW! It's really like night and day having everything there at your finger tips. Went flying and played around with Foreflight and Cloud Ahoy for a bit. What have I been missing out on?! :cool:

Which IPad Mini are you folks talking about?

Which do you recommend? WiFi or the Wifi+Cellular (4G)?

How is performance w/o external GPS on the Wifi+Cellular version?

Are the EFB's being used by the airlines IPad Mini's or regular IPads w/ cellular ???

Stratus + Foreflight FTW. Of course I only use it on my part 91 adventures though.

This post brought to you by beta from my iPhone.

Which IPad Mini are you folks talking about?

Which do you recommend? WiFi or the Wifi+Cellular (4G)?

How is performance w/o external GPS on the Wifi+Cellular version?

Are the EFB's being used by the airlines IPad Mini's or regular IPads w/ cellular ???
I picked up the 32GB mini with WiFi and Cellular. GPS seems very solid and I can't complain. I get pretty good service in the sky while it's sitting on my lap so the cockpit doesn't seem to interfere with the signal at all.

I had heard -- thirdhand, of course -- that there might be regionals that have iPads authorized by the Ops Spec, but don't provide them. Thus, if you own a personal one, you can load whatever the software is and use them, but otherwise you get to lug around the big oxford case of pubs.

Oh ok I misunderstood your original question. I don't know which regionals are using EFBs. The only ones I know of are Mesa and Eagle and in both cases I believe the pilot has to provide the iPad under the guise that the EFB is an optional program. The iPad has to be a specific model (no iPad 1s or iPad minis).

It's kinda looking like the "I love flying so much I'll do it for free" kind of thing, pilots want to get rid of the 50lb kitbag so much they'll agree to buy all the equipment in order to do so, instead of making the airline provide them.

Oh ok I misunderstood your original question. I don't know which regionals are using EFBs. The only ones I know of are Mesa and Eagle and in both cases I believe the pilot has to provide the iPad under the guise that the EFB is an optional program. The iPad has to be a specific model (no iPad 1s or iPad minis).

It's kinda looking like the "I love flying so much I'll do it for free" kind of thing, pilots want to get rid of the 50lb kitbag so much they'll agree to buy all the equipment in order to do so, instead of making the airline provide them.
Disgusting as it may be...I believe in picking my battles. lol this is not a battle I would choose to fight. I would gladly buy an ipad if I can lose the kit and not do another revision. Gladly.

Back