Your thoughts on EFB's?

Everyone, thank you very much for the opinions! Seems like I'll probably be picking up a Mini here in the next couple of days. In the meantime, can anyone recommend worthwhile apps? It seems Foreflight is a must have...anything else? Thanks!

Everyone, thank you very much for the opinions! Seems like I'll probably be picking up a Mini here in the next couple of days. In the meantime, can anyone recommend worthwhile apps? It seems Foreflight is a must have...anything else? Thanks!

Flightplan has a free app

Between Foreflight and iBooks I have everything I need. There are lots of flight planning and weather apps but it's all self contained in FF.

Are the airlines actually going to buy iPads and distribute them to the pilots eventually? If so, will it be payroll deducted? Just curious how it will work.

My airline is going to be mailing the Microsoft Surface RT to our homes in the next few months.

Let's just say that there's a collective "Meh...." being uttered around the country.

My airline is going to be mailing the Microsoft Surface RT to our homes in the next few months.

Let's just say that there's a collect "Meh...." being uttered around the country.
Man how'd Balmer swing that??? Southernjets for all the lemmings leaving SEA?

Man how'd Balmer swing that??? Southernjets for all the lemmings leaving SEA?

Well, they have a 'private security' line at SEA, special treatment and pretty much they've giving corporate a huge discount and promised to do whatever they asked.

So we're largely creating "our own", just like VPN (which wasn't VPN and really didn't work as advertised) and our sweetheart deal with PeoplePC (remember them?) :)

Let's just say that there's a collective "Meh...." being uttered around the country.

Sorry to hear that. I would probably rather just do paper.

Here's what I use most (in addition to ForeFlight and the usual group of browser, email and social networking apps):

Notability. it an app that allows you to write using your finger or a stylus (you can also type, but lots of apps let you do that). One of the many nice features is that you can import a graphic or pdf and write on it as though it were paper. I attached a sample of a filled out (and redacted) copy of the lesson form I use - it was filled out on my iPad.

GoodReader. I think it's document reading, storage, annotation and manipulation features are far superior to the iBooks.

For flying itself, I also like Chronology, a timer app I use to set a looping "switch tanks" notification in aircraft that don't have systems with that functionality.

Those three (well, Chronology only if I need it) and ForeFlight are loaded up and ready to go on every flight.

The hell? Really? Do they give you the option to use your own iPad?

Got to say that as much as I am digging the Samsung Galaxytab 7 II, but the Garmin Pilot app is crap. Some plates open in the app, some open in the PDF viewer, annoying. Too clunky. I don't like Avilution much either. Kind of wish that I had the iPad so that I could use Foreflight. Or an Android version of Foreflight.

EDIT: Just took a look at the Jeppesen Android TC app, it actually works and is pretty slick. At $950/year, I think that I'll pass though. And it doesn't have enroute charts.

EDIT: Just took a look at the Jeppesen Android TC app, it actually works and is pretty slick. At $950/year, I think that I'll pass though. And it doesn't have enroute charts.

You're saying for the price of a one year Jepp subscription, you could buy an iPad and 3 years of Foreflight Pro?

What companies authorize iPads for EFBs currently? Are there places that allow privately-owned iPads to be used on the job as EFBs?

Is this pretty widespread across 121 operations?

As far as 121 goes, I'm pretty sure privately owned iPads are a no-no if there is no OpSpecs approvals for a EFB at a company. You can still bring your iPad on trips and all - for personal use, and what happens up front stays up front between crewmembers, but don't let any check airmen or FAA reps catch you using it during a flight when you should be referring to a company manual/approach chart.

It is so nice to pull up dispatch releases, find out if there's jumpseaters waiting to get on the flight that we need to be holding for, and as well as getting rid of 30lbs of paper.

As far as 121 goes, I'm pretty sure privately owned iPads are a no-no if there is no OpSpecs approvals for a EFB at a company. You can still bring your iPad on trips and all - for personal use, and what happens up front stays up front between crewmembers, but don't let any check airmen or FAA reps catch you using it during a flight when you should be referring to a company manual/approach chart.

It is so nice to pull up dispatch releases, find out if there's jumpseaters waiting to get on the flight that we need to be holding for, and as well as getting rid of 30lbs of paper.

I had heard -- thirdhand, of course -- that there might be regionals that have iPads authorized by the Ops Spec, but don't provide them. Thus, if you own a personal one, you can load whatever the software is and use them, but otherwise you get to lug around the big oxford case of pubs.

I had heard -- thirdhand, of course -- that there might be regionals that have iPads authorized by the Ops Spec, but don't provide them. Thus, if you own a personal one, you can load whatever the software is and use them, but otherwise you get to lug around the big oxford case of pubs.

I think Eagle is one of them.

Back