Your thoughts on EFB's?

atracnitrix

PODUNK
I've searched around and have found some threads concerning EFB's and their use in the cockpit (primarily iPads). However, some of the threads are a bit dated so I was hoping to get some current opinions from fellow JCers. Right now I'm looking to use it as a CFI and it seems like a pretty legit piece of equipment. What do you have? Do you like it? Was it worth the money? Etc...

Also, if there are any examiners lurking in this thread, what is your opinion of a CFI initial candidate using an iPad as their primary instructional tool during their checkride?

Thanks everyone!!!

One of my most useful tools... carry a full set of charts, plates, diagrams, current FAR/AIM, library full of reference books, advisory circulars, illustrations and images, I use a paint app to sketch out diagrams as I teach, I track all student progress on it, track endorsements on it, keep lesson plans on it, pull weather, TFR, Notams via 4G.

Frankly, I'd be a disorganized mess without it.

It was really helpful for my CFI to reference different publications and data straight from his IPad sometimes in flight when I and questions or when we were talking about different subjects. I'm not an instructor but from my experience with my CFI, it helped him stay organize, have information on hand and ready to go and saved a little time. However he always had paper versions of everything with him anyways. Paper never fails

Highly recommend iPad mini with foreflight. It's everything you need and you won't find a more user-friendly and useful setup.

I regarded ipads as silly toy for people with too much money until a company I used to fly for bought a bunch for EFBs. Easily one of the most cost effective tools you can carry in the cockpit even if you're just a casual flyer.

My current employer has not [yet] received certification for ipad EFBs, though they assure us that it's only a matter of time. Going back to paper charts is a right pain in the ass. Updating Jepps every 2 weeks and having the flimsy paper tear constantly is getting old. That and the 10lb brick of a binder I have to carry in my flight bag.

EFBs are the future for all levels of flying and I say it's worth the cost to get on board with it now.

Let's see. Every required and desired aviation chart. Always up-to-date. Ability to keyword search in POH and other documents. Ability to include weather and (to some degree) traffic. Enhanced situational awareness.

For a CFI, all the official FAA publications (free) and quite a few others (paid). Maintain student records. Track flight lessons for post-lesson ground review.

It's not going to be for everyone. Some are highly resistant to the technology. But I've been flying with an iPad more than 2 years now. I can't imagine going back to paper.

Are the airlines actually going to buy iPads and distribute them to the pilots eventually? If so, will it be payroll deducted? Just curious how it will work.

Are the airlines actually going to buy iPads and distribute them to the pilots eventually? If so, will it be payroll deducted? Just curious how it will work.

That issue is still being debated in the industry, I believe. They payroll deduct some of our uniform items, so why not the ipad? 0% financing! :D

And besides, who DOESN'T have an ipad already?

Communists and terrorists, that's who.

That issue is still being debated in the industry, I believe. They payroll deduct some of our uniform items, so why not the ipad? 0% financing! :D

And besides, who DOESN'T have an ipad already?

Communists and terrorists, that's who.

Or they just attach a chain to them and leave them in the cockpit. ;)

I was an early adopter of the iPad 1 with Foreflight when I was still working on private. At the time Nobody I knew had one, most looked at it with a raised eyebrow and a joke about flying the magenta line. Now just a few years later everybody has one. Foreflight has added so many features that it can substitute for a G1000 in flight and on the ground it saves so much time and effort.

Planning a VFR cross country takes about an hour on paper. Less than 5 minutes with foreflight.
Full weather briefings take about 15 minutes if you call Flight Service. File and brief on the iPad in under 5 minutes.
So much weather information that there is never any excuse to be surprised ithe air.

If you combine a $500 iPad with an $800 Stratus 2 you can add airborne ADSB weather, traffic, and a backup AHRS.

There's also a loy of benefit to having the PHAK, Airplane Flying Handbook and FARAIM in searchable form all for free.

Depends on the airline.

I regarded ipads as silly toy for people with too much money until a company I used to fly for bought a bunch for EFBs. Easily one of the most cost effective tools you can carry in the cockpit even if you're just a casual flyer.

My current employer has not [yet] received certification for ipad EFBs, though they assure us that it's only a matter of time. Going back to paper charts is a right pain in the ass. Updating Jepps every 2 weeks and having the flimsy paper tear constantly is getting old. That and the 10lb brick of a binder I have to carry in my flight bag.

EFBs are the future for all levels of flying and I say it's worth the cost to get on board with it now.

A nasty schoolhouse rumor is that the shiny-jet-with-slats kids are going to get the EFBs first, but I dunno. I'd really rather have something mounted in the aircraft than something I can drop/otherwise shatter. Being somewhat clumsy and already done one displace replacement on an iPad...yeah.

It's not going to be for everyone. Some are highly resistant to the technology. But I've been flying with an iPad more than 2 years now. I can't imagine going back to paper.

I do object to how difficult it is to scribble things like "OPS - 129.67" on the Jepp app. I have a handful of notes on many of my frequently used 10-7 (tailored) and 10-9 pages that don't nicely translate to the electronic format. Guess I'll keep a little black book instead. ;)

American Airlines is using the iPad. Have a friend that is a check airman there. If everyone doesn't already have them they will soon. Also the USAF have ordered them as well for their heavy pilots.

I have one that I've been using for the last 2 year and like was already started I'd be lost without it.

We just started the 6 month probation/testing period for the iPads at my company. Its the best and most useful tool we have available to us by far.

Only 6 more months till we can throw out our paper jepps, not going to come fast enough.

What about the heating issue causing them to shut down if they are getting too much direct sunlight. Ours did that once and it took an hour to get thing back up an running.

Never had that happen. I just keep it on my lap or beside the seat. Also put it in sleep when you are not using it. One button push and its right back on.

A nasty schoolhouse rumor is that the shiny-jet-with-slats kids are going to get the EFBs first, but I dunno. I'd really rather have something mounted in the aircraft than something I can drop/otherwise shatter. Being somewhat clumsy and already done one displace replacement on an iPad...yeah.

I've heard the same thing, and it seems to revolve around the concept that there needs to be a charging system in the cockpit. Allegedly that's much easier to rig up on the jet than the old burrito bomber.

I do object to how difficult it is to scribble things like "OPS - 129.67" on the Jepp app. I have a handful of notes on many of my frequently used 10-7 (tailored) and 10-9 pages that don't nicely translate to the electronic format. Guess I'll keep a little black book instead. ;)

I know a lot of people who do that, but I've never been a notes-on-charts guy. I was scribbling the ops freqs on the electronic 10-9s (and yes, it looked like crap) until they tailored the subscription service to include 10-7s. Now all the relevant info is there for me.

We use them at our company. Both ipad and toughbooks. I love the EFBs. All the charts (except en route and sectionals)company manuals plus more. What's not to love about an EFB?

Never had that happen. I just keep it on my lap or beside the seat. Also put it in sleep when you are not using it. One button push and its right back on.

Yep. Just like you shouldn't spill water or coffee on the paper charts (or the EFB for that matter), a minor precaution.

So I just bought an international 7" Galaxy Tab 2 with sim card slot. It is unique, as it also is a fully functional phone. I will be ditching my phone, as I am tired of carrying 2 or 3 devices. Granted, I will look like a moron talking on it, but I don't talk that much.

Back