Your thoughts on EFB's?

I do object to how difficult it is to scribble things like "OPS - 129.67" on the Jepp app. I have a handful of notes on many of my frequently used 10-7 (tailored) and 10-9 pages that don't nicely translate to the electronic format. Guess I'll keep a little black book instead. ;)
Scribbling notes on a chart is probably the last remaining area where paper has more functionality than the iPad. But it's starting to happen.

Other than that, the little notebook or a sticky pad is the only paper I'm still carrying although it's really for emergencies since I take note in my iPad using the FF scratchpad for short items and Notability for everything else.

As an aside to note-taking, I wen back and forth on the use of stylus for a while but after learning on a particularly hot, humid day that sweaty fingers don't glide very well on the iPad, I'm a confirmed stylus user.

Scribbling notes on a chart is probably the last remaining area where paper has more functionality than the iPad. But it's starting to happen.

Other than that, the little notebook or a sticky pad is the only paper I'm still carrying although it's really for emergencies since I take note in my iPad using the FF scratchpad for short items and Notability for everything else.

As an aside to note-taking, I wen back and forth on the use of stylus for a while but after learning on a particularly hot, humid day that sweaty fingers don't glide very well on the iPad, I'm a confirmed stylus user.

Well then, all you need is an APU and a pair of PACK's and you should be well on your way to not having THAT problem again :)

What companies authorize iPads for EFBs currently? Are there places that allow privately-owned iPads to be used on the job as EFBs?

Is this pretty widespread across 121 operations?

MidlifeFlyer said:
It's not going to be for everyone. Some are highly resistant to the technology. But I've been flying with an iPad more than 2 years now. I can't imagine going back to paper.

I started with an iPAQ and anywhere map years ago for inflight sat weather. Actually continued to use that setup in the Cirrus when the company got it. On a iPad 1 at the moment, looking to get the mini. Couldn't imagine going back to paper.

Depends on the airline.

A nasty schoolhouse rumor is that the shiny-jet-with-slats kids are going to get the EFBs first, but I dunno. I'd really rather have something mounted in the aircraft than something I can drop/otherwise shatter. Being somewhat clumsy and already done one displace replacement on an iPad...yeah.
We use a couple guys from flexjet as contractors from time to time. They were issued them along with the otterbox case. They seemed to like the set up.

I've used one in the cockpit since ipad 1, now on the mini. For what it's worth you just don't need the extra size of a full size ipad. The mini is the perfect size. Never had it over heat, it's a little slow but I'm sure there's a refresh in the fall that'll speed it up and give it a retina display. When work bought me the mini, I liked it so much I sold my brand new ipad four, I just never used it. Since the one for work stays with me, I don't have to worry about others using it.

Or they just attach a chain to them and leave them in the cockpit. ;)

And the day after the chain was observed cut and missing said ipad. Last seen on eBay next to the David Clark's that have a weird mark were the "property of company" placard was. :)

We use a couple guys from flexjet as contractors from time to time. They were issued them along with the otterbox case. They seemed to like the set up.

I've used one in the cockpit since ipad 1, now on the mini. For what it's worth you just don't need the extra size of a full size ipad. The mini is the perfect size. Never had it over heat, it's a little slow but I'm sure there's a refresh in the fall that'll speed it up and give it a retina display. When work bought me the mini, I liked it so much I sold my brand new ipad four, I just never used it. Since the one for work stays with me, I don't have to worry about others using it.

I have the Otterbox Defender case for my iPad; it's awesome. If I can attach it to the Embraer mount then it's all downhill from there.

We use Ipads as EFBs.

Jepp and Foreflight software. Each airplane gets two.

Generally excellent stuff, I like them a great deal.

ownsides are the Ipad's interface which isn't great. We also complete flight manifests through online software which is a total disaster, especially combined with that interface. I often use paper and then transpose it later.

I used an IPad 1 with Foreflight when I instructed, it was great. Sometimes I think that our airplane mounted EFB ( has all the manuals except charts) with some ship sets would be more than enough because someone else would have to do the revisions and my chart bag would be non- existent... Then I realize It still kind of sucks having paper jepp charts but if that's all we got I would be more than happy.

I will say though for studying purposes I do like old school manuals of our own, which we don't get. O well.

My company uses them for everything. I have an iPad mini which has the QRH, Pilot Manual, checklist, Jepps, Foreflight, OpSpecs, GOM, other training materials etc. We use an internal app that pushes GOM and OpSpec updates automatically, sends us training documents and schedules etc. I LOVE it!

... We use an internal app that pushes GOM and OpSpec updates automatically, sends us training documents and schedules etc. I LOVE it!
Do you have any information on that app? If it's commercially available I'd like to check it out.

Back