Your Least Favorite Airport.....

Jason

As a compliment to the other thread let's hear about everbody's least favorite airport.

My vote goes to Philly International(KPHL)! During winter deicing and/or eastbound operations that place sucks goat &#@@s.

Jason

Lambert-St Louis.

I have never had an enjoyable flight there.

Don't know if it is the lack of adequate air conditioning in the summer, proper snow removal in the winter, a decent engineered layout, or the worst, most obnoxious security guards ever, but I really can't stand STL.

Plus, I have NEVER had an on-time flight through there. The closest was only 45 minutes late on take-off, and that was couple of weeks after September 11th when all the airlines were running on-time.

MIA, dont ever go there in a ga plane. NIGHTMARE!
frown.gif

STL is a very poorly designed airport(in my opinion). Even if they are conducting simultaneous ops on parallel runways there is no way to get from the airline terminals to the far parallel(or vice versa) without crossing an active runway. Add to the fact that the space between the airline ramps and the close parallel is fairly limited - that airport can get backed up in a hurry.

Jason

Wow I have a lot of those:

La Verne; Redlands; Riverside; Chino; Long Beach (where I fly
crazy.gif
); Torrance (though I've never been there!).

I'd have to say Chino where the controllers think theyre running a Class Bravo airport and yet the biggest thing they have coming in there are maggets with wings attached.
Sorry guys, I'm coming down off my 2 whopping drinks tonight.
confused.gif

Oh yeah - I'm going to add KBOS to the list - not because I have anything against the airport but because I hear the exact same thing EVERY single time I go in there - "(callsign) you're 5 in trail behind a 757, caution wake turbulence, maintain visual seperation with the 75, cleared the visual..."

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
I'd have to say Chino where the controllers think theyre running a Class Bravo airport and yet the biggest thing they have coming in there are maggets with wings attached.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL seriously! I went around once there as a student and got bitched at by the controller!!!! Well I'll tell you that my go around made her job a LOT easier than the alternative (scrapping plane parts off the runway).

Speaking of bitchy controllers LGB's got one guy who goes off on everyone during the weekends. It's hallerious unless the victim is you.

Quick side note: Got an FSS brief tonight; man that briefer had a stick up her you know what.
Her: 'any questions?'
Me: 'Yeah, how about radar returns'
Her (sarcastic): Weeeeeelllll as I aready said blah blah blah. (Oh funny I don't remember hearing you saying ANYTHING about returns)'
Me: 'Oh yeah? What levels are they'
Her: (goes off on some BS about how non convective returns don't have leveled returns... UM who trained you!?)

Being stuck here in the ocean...I give my vote to Maui (OGG). The normal wind tunnel reading shows something like 05022G30. Try to keep your needles crossed in that!

I've dealt with alot of airports and can't say that I truly hate any but here goes:

PHL - I would have to agree that PHL can be quite a pain in the butt if there's anything other than sunny skies.

BTL - Battle Creek, MI - just because WMU's flight school is based there and if the weather is nice there are tons of student pilots in the air and the ATC can be down right mean.

AZO - Kalamazoo, MI - I actually love this airport. I just used to hate it when I worked for an airline there. Something about having to be at the airport at 5am in the middle of a snow storm, deal with 32 angry passengers who can't get to their destinations, have the snow finally give way, load all their 90 lb bags into the plane, board the aircraft, marshall it out, then go sit in the de-ice bucket and get sprayed with gallons of glycol backwash. Then to do that for the rest of the flights all day. Oh well, those days are done (and quite honestly they weren't that bad because I was working at an airport and not much can beat that)
grin.gif

STL - yeah that airport has a weird design. I can remember being on SW one time watching the line of aircraft coming in to land and having our jet taxi across the active. Kind of scary, just hoping the pilots saw all the needed traffic. I saw at least one plane go around due to improper spacing.

I guess that's about it.

Happy Flying!
grin.gif

Yeah Chino is an odd airport, I have to agree. I also do not like Bakersfield, the runway was narrow and it was just an odd airport.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh the cow smell is to Chino like the gas price is to LAS!

[/ QUOTE ]

…a practice analogy for those SAT test takers tomorrow.
tongue.gif

Ill have to go with Atlantic City, Bader Field. Home of my one and only really close call. All I have to say is, damn that runway is short!
crazy.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Being stuck here in the ocean...I give my vote to Maui (OGG). The normal wind tunnel reading shows something like 05022G30. Try to keep your needles crossed in that!

[/ QUOTE ]
I was just there. I had planned to rent a 172, but after I realized that the winds were what they were, I thought I'd at least wait until I have my PPL!

San Antonio International. it's a nice city and all but the airport is just the pits IMO. All the facilities are dated and the controllers are quite rude and unprofessional in my experiences there so far. Just tonight I was at the end of runway 12R and told tower I was ready for takeoff to which they just replied "roger". Is it just me or shouldn't they either tell you "hold short", "clear for takeoff", or "taxi into position and hold"? What is this "roger" BS. So I waited about a minute (no one was talking on freq in the meantime and asked, "so am I cleared for takeoff"? To which they replied in an annoyed tone "no, hold short." Maybe it's stupid but it really annoyed me. Plus you could barely hear the guy, sounded like he was 5 feet away from the mic.

You are correct. That is one of my pet peeves - the word 'roger' is NOT in the pilot/controller glossary and I don't believe you'll find it anywhere in the AIM or FAR's. Not that I use 100% correct phraseology all of the time but he should have responded with either a hold short, position and hold, or takeoff clearance.

Jason

Ed, what's wrong with Torrance? I'm not too fond of South Lake Tahoe. There's a great restaurant, but those aholes sent me a noise abatement reprimand. I followed their procedure to a T in a 172, and it was about 3:00 in the afternoon. Give me a freakin' break.

Back