Your Least Favorite Airport.....

All airports are cool, but charlotte (clt) is always interesting. Some airports that I don't care to go to if im travalling would be the SMALL midwest cities. Some that stick out would be Columbus, Louisville, Dayton and Ft. Wayne. Anyone in the midwest would understand why I don't like these cities. There's nothing wrong with the airports, they just imitate places like CVG, ORD, DTW, MSP, PIT or MEM.

[ QUOTE ]
Ed, what's wrong with Torrance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where should I start?

For starters you pretty much can't go there because they don't allow any noise whatsoever.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ed, what's wrong with Torrance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where should I start?

For starters you pretty much can't go there because they don't allow any noise whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, it is the most noise sensetive airport around, you cannot land and taxiback, you have to taxi through this certain area before taking off, departing is a hassle as other airports, airspace close by, etc.

JD - you got busted in Tahoe in a Skyhawk???? Wow. They must have been bored or pi$$ed at the world that day or something. We go into Tahoe in the Challenger at all times of the day(well daylight hours) and I didn't even know that they had a noise abatement procedure!!! We've never once gotten a letter.

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
the word 'roger' is NOT in the pilot/controller glossary and I don't believe you'll find it anywhere in the AIM or FAR's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's in the Pilot/Contoller Glossary: ROGER- I have received all of your last transmission. It should not be used to answer a question requiring a yes or no answer.

As a pilot, I don't really use "Roger" as a response. Any time I don't have to repeat what a controller said (like a hand off from center with the altimeter setting) I just reply with my callsign.

I'll get back on topic. My least favorite airport has to be CLE. Like many other airports, and depending on the wind, they run arrivals into the runway closest to the terminal, so it must be crossed on departure. I think I sat there once for an hour at the gate waiting for the bottleneck behind us to clear out. (We couldn't push off because there were about 10 planes behind us waiting to taxi) Whoever designed that airport wasn't thinking of high traffic volume.

Torrence, is always a b@$*% ! Long Beach is another one on my list. One time, the ground controller pretty much took me on a tour of the airport. I think I taxied on almost every runway that day. As far as travelling, I hate, and I stress hate, CLT! Man the terminals are like one big ash tray. Everybody and their brother smokes there! There is no designated smoking area, so everybody lights up where ever, and you smell like you smoked a carton of cigarettes after you leave. I usually didn't have aproblem with it before, until I had my 4 month old son with us last summer on our trip to Nashville and back. I also hate going through Detroit.

You beat me to it - I was sitting in my office studying the AIM for something I have coming up and saw that 'roger' is in deed in there. When did that get in there? That used to be one of my teaching points back in the day when I was teaching private students and we got to the radio communications blocks.

Oh well - guess I should read the AIM more than once every 5 years
cool.gif

Jason

Yeah, they posted it on the flight desk at school and underlined my and my instructor's names in red ink. Everybody had a good laugh. I was in shock when I saw it.

[ QUOTE ]
CLT! Man the terminals are like one big ash tray. Everybody and their brother smokes there! There is no designated smoking area, so everybody lights up where ever, and you smell like you smoked a carton of cigarettes after you leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH? You can't smoke in the terminals in CLT.

Yeah that's what I thought! If you pay enought attention you'll see em light up a cancer stick! It might be only in one terminal. It's the "C" concourse.

Airport's I can't stand(from the viewpoint of a Customer Service Goon)

STL: Endless,endless groundstops for weather.....one drop of water hits the runway in St Louie and you are screwed for the rest of the day

SAN: Gotta love those foggy San Diego morning,more so when the Captain is not CATIII qualified

BWI: I like the airport itself,just not the endless northbound delays because of enroute weather....although that was more of a SW problem beacause we can't fly off shore.

TUL: When you get stuck there for 6 hours,you'll understand

LGB: It's like flying into some Third World country, no jetways,antiquated terminal.....we really gotta pump some money into this place

OAK: Nothing says Welcome to Oakland like then this crappy ass airport.

ATL: I'm gonna enjoy watching a line of 25 departures with 24 Delta jets and our one lone little blue 320....the delays are gonna boggle the mind.

[ QUOTE ]
LGB: It's like flying into some Third World country, no jetways,antiquated terminal.....we really gotta pump some money into this place

[/ QUOTE ]

No way that airport is awesome, classic old airport with the parking lot right outside, not miles away like other airports.

Why can't LGB just put in jetway's? Is there lack of space, or are they just too expensive? I know as a passenger, I hate it when I have to walk from the plane into the building, especially in bad weather!

It is an old airport, it is not just a simple case of putting in jetways, it would require a redesign. Also we very seldomly have bad weather, maybe 2 weeks a year.

I heard that back in the old days, "ROGER" was the ICAO way of saying "R" (before it became "ROMEO") .. which was radio abbreviation/lingo for "received"

I had a captain named "Roger" few weeks ago. He asked me if I had gotten a clearance yet and I responded, "Don't make me say it, man".

"Say what?"

"Roger...uhh... Roger."

I dunno, maybe you just had to be there.
smile.gif

That's an easy one. LGA, LaGuardia, LaGarbage.

On a good day, you can expect delays at LGA. The airport is so compact and congested that even a short taxi can take forever.

On a bad day, when the weather gets marginal, it's common to get ground stopped and delayed before you ever leave the gate.

On the bright, when they use the Hudson River visual, you get an awesome tour of NYC.

Actually SAN's not a cat-III airport as far as I know and even shooting the ILS only brings you down to 350 HAT or something like that.

My least favorite airports... Hmm...Probably anything on the east coast of Florida, but just because I've had most of my "people problems" in the terminals of those airports.

As far as commuting goes, CVG is one of my least favorites. The Comair terminal has all the warmth and comfort of a cattle pen. It's basically one giant holding area surrounded by gates on the outer perimeter.

And yeah, I'd have to agree that PHL is not great either.

Back