You know what Buddy Pass means?

Trip7

You watch all your buddies pass you by on to the plane:D

Has every summer usually been like this or is it just a really bad summer for standby travel? I've heard of people being stuck places like DFW for days. My Aunt spent a night in CVG and my cousin had to buy a ticket out of Ghana. My dad got to DFW at 6:30am to get to DCA and didn't get there til 10pm.

Me, I haven't had any problems, thanks to the jumpseat. That privilege is a lifesaver:)

Continental just upped the price for buddy passes so bad that your buddy might as well just buy a ticket. It would cost $502.50 to bring a buddy pass rider with you to Europe. $402.50 for Mexico. $205 for domestic. Paying that much for the lowest priority of stand-by travel is just outrageous, especially considering the departure taxes you'll have to pay returning home from international.

Continental just upped the price for buddy passes so bad that your buddy might as well just buy a ticket. It would cost $502.50 to bring a buddy pass rider with you to Europe. $402.50 for Mexico. $205 for domestic. Paying that much for the lowest priority of stand-by travel is just outrageous, especially considering the departure taxes you'll have to pay returning home from international.

Are those one way prices?

If those are RT cost then they are about the same here at AMR.

Times now are pretty hard riding on buddy passes. I've had a few friends ride on buddy passes and they have had long waits at airports like ATL & MSP. Riding on Buddy Passes Sucks.

I find it funny that all these flights are being overbooked and oversold, not to mention all the fees that are being charged, and this industry is hurtung because the high fuel prices. Standby travel is nearly impossible due to the number of revenue passengers traveling. I never thought I'd see the day when driving across the country is more expensive than flying. RAISE THE FREAKING TICKET PRICES!!!!!

According to the USAtoday article couple days ago prices are over 100% higher this summer than last...

I don't bother giving them out. Growing up in the Delta standby system is a badge of honor around this region.

Buddy Passes are the second closest thing to hell, the first is the lack of customer service in our airline industry.

JMHO of course. ;)

I've given them to some relatives, and they've had decent luck. You just need to plan it out right ahead of time, and they need to be flexible in what days and times they want to travel. I've been complaining about our buddy pass prices, but they actually seem good compares to what you guys are paying. $65 round-trip for us.

Success

I've given out 8 and not one leg got bumped. Florida was involved heavily, too.

Our buddy passes are free but I only give them to one person in the family who is a seasoned traveler (oh and to someone also here who asked last year).

Has every summer usually been like this or is it just a really bad summer for standby travel? I've heard of people being stuck places like DFW for days.

Reductions in capacity + constant demand = oversold flights = sucky time to be non-revving. It took my gf an extra day to get home from New Orleans in March and from San Francisco last month. ("Conjugal visits", as we call them in aerial mapping! :D) The fact that she could ride only on SkyWest flights compounded the problem.

I've used them before I got with a company that has jumpseat and it worked out just fine for what I needed... United treated me well.

Back