YIKES (at first) - B757 across the North Atlantic

Ramsey

I just flew on DL106 from JFK to FRA and the rumors (and my itinerary) were true! DL is using a 757 across the North Atlantic.

At first I was appalled that I'd have to fly on such a "small" airplane but after arriving yesterday morning I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised.

Service was fast and there was never a line for the lav. Even the bags came off the plane a lot faster. Less PAX seems to have made the difference on this particular flight/route.

Seems like the 757 makes sense on the route opposed to canceling service altogether.

I believe swiss air flies from Newark to Geneva in a 737. I could be wrong but I think I was taxiing behind them a few weeks ago.

A coach seat is a coach seat whether it's a E145 (same size seat and pitch as a 737) or a 747. Granted you may not have the "walk around room".

I guess it's no worse than riding coach from MCO-LAX sitting next to a POS that didn't get the 2nd ticket. In an exit row. God forbid a ride on an AS 737 from SEA-MIA. That'd possibly cause Hari Kari.

2 years ago I flew on a CO 75 from EWR to MAN and it was one of the worst flights I have ever been on. Mainly due to the seat configuration. The TVs where almost impossible to see. On the way back I had a middle seat and it was horrible.

I beleive in England there are a ton of charter/travel companies that use a 75 to go to Florida.

I've been on 757 several times traveling to Norway. I think the first time was about 4 years ago on continental. I got stuck in a middle seat way in the back between an older couple who refused to sit next to each other. Luckily I was wearing a hooded sweater so I tied that really tight around my face and left small opening for my mouth. Lucky for me I have racked up enough miles to become an elite member so I have been upgraded the last few times.

Lets hope UAL doest start lobbing their 757s across the pond. Those are by far the worst coach seats on the planet. I couldnt imagine 8 hours on one let alone 2 hours.

I particularly like the Dutch roll yaw feeling the 757 gives you when you're seated very far aft, once every few minutes for thousands of miles.

:sarcasm:

Re: 757

ok, what i wanna know is if the 757's have that middle crowding seat or did they refurb the coach section such that there's some room to move?

HNL

I believe it's been happening for a while. Doesn't some other carrier operate 757's to PHNL from the US west coast?

Yes, Northwest flies the 757-300 to HNL from various west coast cities. American and United fly the 757-200 in a similar manner, and ATA used to do lots of Hawaii with the 757.

Aloha flew the 737-700s between Hawaii and the mainland, and Alaska still does that.

I "jumpseated' on a NWA flight to AMS on a 757 out of BDL and was actually very surprised at how much room there was in economy. In fact, I'm considering heading out there in August and I'm probably going to take the same flight if there's room.

Re: 757

ok, what i wanna know is if the 757's have that middle crowding seat or did they refurb the coach section such that there's some room to move?

Three left and three right.

I had, what I thought was going to be an exit seat but got 19D - an isle that I was told would be an exit but there were two seats in front on row 19 on my side. It was still technically an exit according to the crew when I got the briefing. The only row that has two seats is 18D/E there are no seats in row 18 A/B/C so the first row with loads of leg room is 19 A/B/C and 18D/E.

The inside was new. Monitors in every seat with on demand video, leather (or leather like) seats in the whole cabin. The BusElite seats were the same as they are on all DL flights except there were very few of them. Around 16 less one or two for crew rest - I'd guess. My understanding is that is was an ex TWA 757...

I "jumpseated' on a NWA flight to AMS on a 757 out of BDL and was actually very surprised at how much room there was in economy. In fact, I'm considering heading out there in August and I'm probably going to take the same flight if there's room.

NWAs 75s that jump across the pond have winglets and only seat 140, as opposed to the normal 182. So i assume its a lot roomier.

I'm actually flying a 757 to EDI tomorrow evening with a two-man crew.

I've done the trans-Atlantic 757 twice, one it was a pain, the other time it was alright, I guess it just depends on the length of the flight and the crews involved.

Back