Would you PT here? Should you PT here?

No, that's silly. The protected area for the PT is based on the fix designated for the PT, which is the NDB in this case. The purpose of the protected area is to allow for the maneuvering to get yourself turned around and this includes the entry. The PT is protected on all sides of the NDB. You can find diagrams of the protected area in the Instrument Procedures Handbook.

He's right about that. That does not depict the protected area for the PT. (It isn't circular.)

That sentence comes from TERPS, which are instructions towards the approach designer, not the pilot. The designer determines when it's necessary to reverse direction.

Understood, but if you learn the proper methodology of determining the truth, you can run rings around these guys who pick up info sitting around the pilot lounge, know what I mean? You made a good start by referring to the AIM, rather than taking what the DPE said at face value. Keep it up.

Here, read this and you'll know more about the subject than any pilot you'll ever fly with:

http://www.terps.com/ifrr/jul96.pdf

This is a great thread! I'm a green instrument pilot turned even greener CFII and like the original poster cannot take a persons word at face value based on their status alone. I've got all of the common text and refference books but would like to find something else to take me to a higher level of understanding instrument procedures. Recomendations (other than the TERPS manual)?

Whew, I've read a number of posts on JC, but the info I've received from this is awesome. tgrayson, obviously you've done a TON of homework on this. Is that primarily because of your issue with the approach into OLV, or did you find the issue so gray in the FAR/AIM that you just decided to take a look into this? Or are you workin' for the man? Just curious, but thanks again for the helpful links and info!

done a TON of homework on this. Is that primarily because of your issue with the approach into OLV

Nah, I had to start work before that. As an engineer, I know that if I don't fully understand how all the parts interconnect, whatever I'm building will not work. You cannot trick nature into accepting that you know what you are doing, when you truly don't.

As an instrument student, no one could explain to me how all the parts of the system interconnected, which led me to believe that my instructors really didn't know either.

That changed when I discovered the articles that I referred to you. They turned my whole instrument world upside down. ;) The author of the articles was in another online forum that I belonged to and, over the years, I learned a lot from him. I also learned of primary sources, such as the TERPS Manual and talking with the Flight Procedures Offices directly, which is what I took advantage of when the OLV issue came up.

All-in-all, it's an interesting subject.

Agreed. Must be an engineering thing... that's what I did before all this flying business came up. I'm still trying to convince some instructors that using the law of sines is perfectly legit in flying direct without GPS... cheap RNAV. Still unsuccessful.

Let me give you an example of how our assumptions can be dangerous. I've posted the attached approach before, but it was a year or so ago and you might not have seen it. This approach was at my home airport, and the final approach course crossed underneath the approach to 27 at Memphis. The clearance we'd get when shooting the approach was typically:
Turn left heading 210, maintain 2,500 until established on the localizer, cleared localizer 18 Olive Branch.

The question is, when can I descend down to 2,000 feet? Here's the approach:
olv%20loc%2018.jpg

After passing mandd I would say, because you're not even really on the approach until then. But correct me if I'm wrong.

After passing mandd I would say, because you're not even really on the approach until then. But correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right, but most people miss that. Part of the problem is that ATC tends to use "until established on the localizer", which *seems* to contain implicit permission to step down once the needle centers. However, ATC is not supposed to use that language when the vector will not, in fact, establish the aircraft on a published segment. They should have been saying something like "cross MANDD at or above 2,500, cleared localizer 18". I rarely got that, however.

I went all through my instrument training without seeing the significance of it, until I saw a discussion by Wally Roberts, chairman of the ALPA TERPS committee, saying they had convinced the FAA to get rid of this type of approach.

You're right, but most people miss that. Part of the problem is that ATC tends to use "until established on the localizer", which *seems* to contain implicit permission to step down once the needle centers. However, ATC is not supposed to use that language when the vector will not, in fact, establish the aircraft on a published segment. They should have been saying something like "cross MANDD at or above 2,500, cleared localizer 18". I rarely got that, however.

I went all through my instrument training without seeing the significance of it, until I saw a discussion by Wally Roberts, chairman of the ALPA TERPS committee, saying they had convinced the FAA to get rid of this type of approach.

Good to know, a similar scenario comes up when you're flying a DME arc to an approach. For example:

AceAir 22, you're cleared to kuskm via the 12DME arc, descend and maintain 7000.

here's the plate http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0810/05001ID18.PDF

Anyway, people would come bombing out of the flight levels, hit the 12DME arc and start around for Kuskm and begin a descent to 1800, you had to watch out for that.

Agreed. Must be an engineering thing... that's what I did before all this flying business came up. I'm still trying to convince some instructors that using the law of sines is perfectly legit in flying direct without GPS... cheap RNAV. Still unsuccessful.

Technically dead reckoning is legit for IFR, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use the law of sines off VORs if you could actually get a good fix, remember, VORs aren't really that accurate.

Technically dead reckoning is legit for IFR

Often debated, but there's no evidence this is true. I suspect you could get dinged by 91.13, if nothing else. It also defies logic when a plain ole GPS isn't good enough for sole means of navigation.

TERPS keeps dead reckoning segments very short, under very specific circumstances.

You mean prior to reaching *published* DME arc?

No, they wouldn't be cleared for the approach, but they'd start down anyway, well, yes, they'd do that too, but only in some strange circumstances where we were approaching from the south.

No, they wouldn't be cleared for the approach, but they'd start down anyway, well, yes, they'd do that too, but only in some strange circumstances where we were approaching from the south.

Oh, gotcha. People hear what they expect to hear. I'm not sure what I would have thought had I heard something like that unprepared.

Irrelevant. Prudent (though unnecessary) to tell them you're doing the PT, though, since they have clueless pilots turning directly in.

The details are fuzzy for me as this was over a year ago, but when I did my Instrument long cross country, my cfii and I were doing the VOR to PSP. ATC told me to report crossing the TRM VOR, and when I did, perhaps my phraseology was wrong, but I said something to the affect of "Cessna 320ME, 4,000 at TRM, entering the hold." Since noPT is on the chart, and I think I was coming from the East spot on. ATC never cleared me for the approach, just told me to expect it, so we entered the hold. Approach then went into a rant about other airplanes in the airspace and not clearing us to enter the hold...

I've just learned to take an extra transmission and verify everyone's intentions / expectations.

ATC never cleared me for the approach, just told me to expect it, so we entered the hold. Approach then went into a rant about other airplanes in the airspace and not clearing us to enter the hold...I've just learned to take an extra transmission and verify everyone's intentions / expectations.

This the VOR-B? I don't see a NoPT route here, so I'm not sure what you mean. But as described, not being cleared for the approach was the sin, not doing the Hold-in-Lieu. Still, coming in from the East, ATC probably wouldn't have expected you to do the HIL, even if they had cleared you for the approach. However, it's legally required, and if your performing it had caused them a separation problem, it would have been the controller's fault. But I agree that it's desirable to avoid situations where people are looking for someone to blame.

I had something like this before on an ILS in the G1000. When you activate Vectors to Final, it throws out the IAF and just shows your distance from the FAF. We got a clearance exactly like what you described, with "until established" but were outside of a fix like MANDD. We got yelled at and when I questioned the clearance, he just got snuffy with me.

tgrayson, does FAA have electronic copy of TERP? :confused: I promised my DPE to read this and would like to keep my words. ;)

Back