Would think it's common sense but...

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
If you need a special speed on final or inside the marker, please don't wait til you're actually on the final to mention it. It can really screw things up for everyone behind you.

If you need a special speed on final or inside the marker, please don't wait til you're actually on the final to mention it. It can really screw things up for everyone behind you.

I’m assuming you mean flying slower than normal.

What specifically do they do?
I really feel for international crews coming to the US. Nothing is standardized. Nothing is ICAO. We're almost as bad as China.

They hear me say "maintain 180kts til BUZZD contact tower" to every single person in front of them. I clear them for approach, give them 180 to the marker and tower, and they come back with "oh btw we can only do 160 to the marker/we are going to be at 105kts inside the marker" or some such. All I ask, is that if you can't do the speed to the marker or you'll be extra slow inside the marker, just give us a heads up before you're actually at the final so we can give some extra space behind you. Especially if you're a heavy jet, that's when it can really screw us and the guy behind you.

They hear me say "maintain 180kts til BUZZD contact tower" to every single person in front of them. I clear them for approach, give them 180 to the marker and tower, and they come back with "oh btw we can only do 160 to the marker/we are going to be at 105kts inside the marker" or some such. All I ask, is that if you can't do the speed to the marker or you'll be extra slow inside the marker, just give us a heads up before you're actually at the final so we can give some extra space behind you. Especially if you're a heavy jet, that's when it can really screw us and the guy behind you.

Not really sure what type of heavy jet has a 105kt final approach speed. I can’t even get that slow in a light 88.

Not really sure what type of heavy jet has a 105kt final approach speed. I can’t even get that slow in a light 88.

I just threw that number out there but I've seen some heavily loaded FedEx and UPS 777/767/757who go super slow inside the marker.

BA is the only airline who ALWAYS asks for a different assigned speed. Seems like anytime I try to give them 210 they always come back with a super specific speed like “we’d like to do 225 knots please” yeah Ok. I guess they don’t know they can do +-10 knots of an assigned speed

BA is the only airline who ALWAYS asks for a different assigned speed. Seems like anytime I try to give them 210 they always come back with a super specific speed like “we’d like to do 225 knots please” yeah Ok. I guess they don’t know they can do +-10 knots of an assigned speed

And 90% of them have attitude about it to!

That's interesting. Of all the places in the world I've flown, LHR is the most sensitive about speed control on final and has VERY prescribed speeds that you can't really deviate from. Maybe they're tired of doing it at home!

I just threw that number out there but I've seen some heavily loaded FedEx and UPS 777/767/757who go super slow inside the marker.
How do you know how heavy they are? I know for the 757 guys it's hard for them to be stable at a 1000 if they have to slow a ton. You really really need to ride the jumpseat and see how it's not as easy at it may seem.

How do you know how heavy they are? I know for the 757 guys it's hard for them to be stable at a 1000 if they have to slow a ton. You really really need to ride the jumpseat and see how it's not as easy at it may seem.
I’ve rode jumpseat a few times and the pilots always to be doing things so fast that it’s hard to know what’s exactly is going on. It’s like if you’d come watch us work you wouldn’t have the same appreciation as if you got to go in the sims and do a few scenarios (basically working fake airplanes on your own)

Yes. FedEx/UPS and BA are the most notorious for this.

I've had the opposite happen a few times with a reduced or no flap landing. Last time it happened captain didn't think it was important to let approach know we'd be hauling balls down final. "Uhhhh yeah, I'd better double check with them..."

I was assuming heavy, but as z988k pointed out they're probably light. But that's my point, I don't know how heavy or light they are, so if they need a special speed on final due to being heavy or light, it's a lot more convenient for everyone involved if you tell me sooner rather than later.

I’ve rode jumpseat a few times and the pilots always to be doing things so fast that it’s hard to know what’s exactly is going on. It’s like if you’d come watch us work you wouldn’t have the same appreciation as if you got to go in the sims and do a few scenarios (basically working fake airplanes on your own)
I've done that and do appreciate what you guys do. I guess what I'm getting at is the attitude of "What are these clowns doing", it's really out of our hand. The approach speed is dictated and if we aren't stable it's a required go around.

I was assuming heavy, but as z988k pointed out they're probably light. But that's my point, I don't know how heavy or light they are, so if they need a special speed on final due to being heavy or light, it's a lot more convenient for everyone involved if you tell me sooner rather than later.
Next time you get something from amazon look at how much of that package is air. FDX/UPS planes are usually pretty light on approach compared to the pax carriers flying the same types.

Back