Would everyone be kind enough to...

Louie1975

To all:
I love this board, the information is absolutley incredible. One thing I do sometimes find myself slightly frustrated at is as follows: when people post about places they've flown to, only the airport identifier is given. Then I am left wondering where in the country, or world, that is. I live in New York City, and fly out of ISP about 50 miles east. So all the identifiers I know are basically in and around NYC, like LGA(LaGuardia) and ISP(Islip, NY). But sometimes, an airline pilot will post his/her schedule up and its like this: MON: CVG-DFW, ATL-FRS, PCR-HJY, DRV-JYI. Some of these I can figure out, but others could be in Kazakstan for all I know(especially without the K in front to identify it as a US airport). I've always meant to post about this, finally today one user's post about 767 sim takeoffs at ??? prompted me to write. Has anyone else been curious about this? Thanks!

Louie

Yeah, I run into the same delimma myself, but if it's somewhere that I just cannot figure out where it is, I go look it up.

It's actually a good learning tool.

Have fun!

R2F

The Airliners.net forums have this neat feature where if you move your mouse pointer over an airport identifier or airline code, a little "ALT text" box shows the name of the airport or airline. I think it does it automatically. I know how to do something similar in HTML, but it's manual and slightly different.

Sure I don't mind typing in the airport names.

Not everyone knows every airport out there, and it's a hassle to go to airnav and look everything up. If someone writes that they went, say:

"SNA-SAN-MYF-SEE-F70-SBA-SNA"

and I have no idea where those places are, I read it as:

"LOT-SOF-FLY-ING"

I just use one of my many flight books, but a lot of the time I just know the North American codes
wink.gif
some are pretty east like ATL (ATLanta)

[ QUOTE ]
If someone writes that they went, say:

"SNA-SAN-MYF-SEE-F70-SBA-SNA"

[/ QUOTE ]For the So. Cal-impaired, thats:

Orange County - San Diego/Lindbergh - San Diego/Montgomery - San Diego/Gillespie - French Valley - Santa Barbara (Long leg there, Ed...hope you topped off someplace along the way) - Orange County
grin.gif

Back