Working pilots: sunscreen?

Straight from the head of ALPA's Aeromedical Department a number of years ago: every transport category aircraft windshield shields UV rays just as effectively as a very strong sunscreen. You're getting yourselves all greasy for nothing.

The FAA and DOD did a study a few years ago. About 50% of UV-A gets through most glass windshields. UV-B is much less. I think I'll keep putting on sunscreen.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA471609

I know that nobody at present employer gives a poop how we did things at previous employer, but on the EM4 we had sunshades that were carried in the coat closet for ground use. That plus the roll-up sunshades over the DV windows (added cost option) really, really cut down on the heat on the avionics on the ground (and consequently on the guys sitting behind the avionics, of course). It makes a BIG difference on the ground on heat, which makes them worth it even ignoring the whole "I will probably get cancer" thing.

A quick trip to the National Airplane Automotive Parts Association would probably sort you right out.
There was a thread a while back about sun shades. I'll reiterate what I said in that thread.

You need some of this. Take a piece of cardboard and cut a template the shape you want the tint. 16"x16" or so is a good start. Place it on the sheet of tint and cut around it with a razor blade. Repeat as needed until you achieve the desired number of pieces. It works great. We use them every flight in the 45. They'll fold up small enough to easily fit in a flight case. And if you accidently leave them during an aircraft swap their cheap enough to replace even on a regional salary. :)

Here's an amazon link but you can also pick it up at the local auto parts store.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Magic-Insta-Cling-Jumbo/dp/B000EBKG9A

I fly at night. Or this :
13806710.jpg

there are many non-greasy options even with high SPF (generally the highest the SPF the greasier it gets). I use to hate it too, especially because I have a buzzed head so I need to rub it all over. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer is pretty amazing, it does need to work well with your skin type, it works for me...

I wear sunscreen all the time and have been applying Vitamin C serum after I'm out in the sun for a while...

This - I use Neutrogena's 100 SPF stuff religiously now. I've been flying with way too many folks that have been to a dermatologist's office lately.

s662429-main-hero.jpg
I put this on everyday(rain or shine, sun gets through clouds too), it's not cheap but if used correctly lasts about a year.

$37 on the interwebs, mainly it doesn't have "chemicals" that turn into "free radicals" in the sun.
(or what men's health and men's fitness says)

I saw my fiance's dermatologist and she recommend this.

You want the best cancer prevention? Fly as little as possible. No matter how much crap you slather on yourself, you're still getting bombarded with a lot more radiation at altitude than you are on the ground.

I've flown 65 hours this year. That's my cancer prevention.

Straight from the head of ALPA's Aeromedical Department a number of years ago: every transport category aircraft windshield shields UV rays just as effectively as a very strong sunscreen. You're getting yourselves all greasy for nothing.

I disagree. That's a broad statement that imho is just not true. The radiation is bad enough that we had a CQ module recommending suncreen.

MAybe I'm just a neanderthal, but I find it amazing that so many younger pilots are moisturizing. Honestly, since I started airline flying in 1995, I haven't seen ONE pilot ever put on any sunscreen in the cockpit. Maybe they are doing it before pickup, but I doubt it.

As a warning though, if any of you pull out any sunscreen in my cockpit, you will be mocked aggressively and endlessly and I WILL NOT buy beer on the layover.

;)

As it says in the article I posted above, American sunscreens suck at blocking UVA rays which are the only rays getting through. In Europe they have more than a dozen GOOD UVA blockers that are approved for use. The FDA hasn't approved these despite American sunscreen makers petitioning them to be approved.

Use the stuff you buy in Walmart all you want, but you are WASTING YOUR TIME.

So you get to choose from potent UVA blockers that the FDA doesn't deem safe, or some UVA cooking. Those are the simple choices.

MAybe I'm just a neanderthal, but I find it amazing that so many younger pilots are moisturizing. Honestly, since I started airline flying in 1995, I haven't seen ONE pilot ever put on any sunscreen in the cockpit. Maybe they are doing it before pickup, but I doubt it.

As a warning though, if any of you pull out any sunscreen in my cockpit, you will be mocked aggressively and endlessly and I WILL NOT buy beer on the layover.

;)

It's not only in the cockpit, generally there is a lot more awareness this days on the effect of sun exposure. When I was in the military 10 years ago I never put sunscreen, not even once, and often I was exposed to a lot of sun, this days they issue sunscreens and they want you to wear it.

I love water-sports, mainly surfing and windsurfing, I saw some of the effects of neglecting sunscreen on my skin, aviation isn't any different and every older pilot I know that grew up with the Hulk attitude has sun damage and has been under the scalpel couple times.

s662429-main-hero.jpg
I put this on everyday(rain or shine, sun gets through clouds too), it's not cheap but if used correctly lasts about a year.

$37 on the interwebs, mainly it doesn't have "chemicals" that turn into "free radicals" in the sun.
(or what men's health and men's fitness says)

I saw my fiance's dermatologist and she recommend this.

Do you apply it once a day or several times? wonder how long the sunscreen portion of the cream lasts on your skin..

Do you apply it once a day or several times? wonder how long the sunscreen portion of the cream lasts on your skin..

Once in the morning, about a dime size for the whole face, per the bottle and the dermatologist...

I apply specifically to the cheeks and under eyes

Back