Working pilots: sunscreen?

For the people that make their living in the cockpit: Do you use sunscreen?

Yes, basically every leg where we'll be at all facing into the sun.

I also never let any direct sunlight reach my skin above about 10,000 feet other than for a couple seconds at a time temporarily.

Yes. I went to a dermatologist for something unrelated, and when I told him what I did for a living he gave me a lecture about all the Delta pilots he has in his clinic that now have skin cancer after a career of having almost no protection from the sun. I wear sunblock on my face, neck and arms, or basically everything that's not covered by clothing.
Yeah, that.

@Cal Goat, my dad has had quite a few odd-looking moles removed from him after a lifetime at 370-or-higher. I use this stuff which tends to not be as gross as some other kinds of sunscreen make you feel (e.g. dipped in oil then covered in dust).

Another thing that I need to start doing is carrying sunshades.

You're wasting your time. UVA is the only thing that makes it through the windscreen and your garden variety lotions don't block UVA rays. There are sunscreens that block UVA1 and UVA2 but they aren't any of the ones mentioned above.

I know a couple pilots who use it all the time. I've never used it once. I was curious what the responses would be in this thread, and they all seem kind of mixed. I hate sunscreen/lotions. I just can't stand the greasy feeling after you apply it, and I definitely wouldn't want to get the cockpit grosser than it already is.

Sounds like a sun shade is the most worthwhile investment.
I know that nobody at present employer gives a poop how we did things at previous employer, but on the EM4 we had sunshades that were carried in the coat closet for ground use. That plus the roll-up sunshades over the DV windows (added cost option) really, really cut down on the heat on the avionics on the ground (and consequently on the guys sitting behind the avionics, of course). It makes a BIG difference on the ground on heat, which makes them worth it even ignoring the whole "I will probably get cancer" thing.

A quick trip to the National Airplane Automotive Parts Association would probably sort you right out.

I have two flying jobs, one formal, the other informal. For the informal job I wear a long sleeved 'sun shirt' made of UV-absorbing fabric.The sun shirts work great, are cool, and give excellent protection. Solumbra is one company that makes them.

They also burn incredibly fast and hot, not a great idea in a cockpit environment.

Well, anecdotally - my dad retired at age 60 after flying for a career and by that time had already been going to the dermatologist for 5 years getting pre-cancerous spots burned off his face and forearms. Who knows if it's from flying or something else.

How does he know if they were cancerous or pre-cancerous if he got them burned off? If you burn them off there is no way to get a pathology test done and you can't be 100% sure by visual inspection..not a doctor but had to deal with this stuff on my skin for couple years now.

I know a couple pilots who use it all the time. I've never used it once. I was curious what the responses would be in this thread, and they all seem kind of mixed. I hate sunscreen/lotions. I just can't stand the greasy feeling after you apply it, and I definitely wouldn't want to get the cockpit grosser than it already is.

there are many non-greasy options even with high SPF (generally the highest the SPF the greasier it gets). I use to hate it too, especially because I have a buzzed head so I need to rub it all over. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer is pretty amazing, it does need to work well with your skin type, it works for me...

I wear sunscreen all the time and have been applying Vitamin C serum after I'm out in the sun for a while...

Straight from the head of ALPA's Aeromedical Department a number of years ago: every transport category aircraft windshield shields UV rays just as effectively as a very strong sunscreen. You're getting yourselves all greasy for nothing.

You're wasting your time. UVA is the only thing that makes it through the windscreen and your garden variety lotions don't block UVA rays. There are sunscreens that block UVA1 and UVA2 but they aren't any of the ones mentioned above.
Please enlighten us as to what we should be using.

I probably already glow a healthy shade of green from ocean crossings at higher latitudes. UV? Psh.

Back