With 300th delivery, Airbus beats Boeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenguin1

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001821234_airbus23.html

With 300th delivery, Airbus beats Boeing
By Bloomberg News

Airbus delivered its 300th aircraft for 2003 and plans "a few more" deliveries before Dec. 31, meaning the company will beat its target for the year and overtake Boeing as the world's biggest plane maker, Chief Executive Noël Forgeard said.
The goal was reached Friday evening when Airbus turned over Singapore Airlines' first A340-500 long-haul plane, Forgeard said in an interview at his Toulouse, France, headquarters.
This year's target of 300 deliveries by Airbus, a unit of European Aeronautic Defence & Space, exceeds Boeing's goal of delivering 280 planes. Airbus' order backlog stands at 1,500 planes vs. 1,100 aircraft for Boeing, indicating the plane maker will continue to deliver more aircraft per year in coming years.
Airbus "may have more deliveries, but what does that mean?" asked Tom Brabant, a Boeing spokesman. "In an industry that has two large manufacturers, if you're looking at deliveries, some years Airbus may deliver more, some years Boeing may deliver more. What matters most is making airplanes that passengers prefer to fly on and providing value to our airline customers."
Separately yesterday, Boeing received a firm order from Korean Air for nine 777-200ER aircraft worth about $1.5 billion.
Korean Air, Asia's fifth-largest carrier by sales, said the purchase will increase the number of 777s it operates to 22, making the twin-aisle plane its main aircraft for long-distance routes. The 777-200ERs have a list price of $160.5 million to $182 million each and can carry between 305 and 400 passengers.
Korean Air first reached a preliminary agreement to buy the 777s in June. The Seoul-based airline hasn't decided how it will finance the purchase. The first airplanes will be delivered in June 2005, the airline said.
Korean Air in October also agreed to buy five 550-seater Airbus A380s for $1.4 billion with an option to buy three more. It has 117 planes in its fleet

Go Airbus!!!!!!
grin.gif

tongue.gif

Oh, crap. What ever will I do? I actually AGREE with DTA on something.

Damn. The Bush administration was right with their code orange because the sky is falling!

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I'm scrolling along and thinking to myself...
[ QUOTE ]
Go Airbus!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah right
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Airbus Blows...

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, (fall out of chair)
grin.gif
, I was not expecting that at all, too funny

It's the "Buy American" thing vs. the "French Are Evil Wussies" - thing.

I do get a chuckle out of it though because not ONE of these clowns who say "Airbus sucks" would turn down a job flying right seat in one if offered.

I don't see the point in supporting American companies since most of them are hiring people in other countries who are willing to work and can work for 40% less than Americans..

The 7E7 is a nice example, I suppose.

[ QUOTE ]
I do get a chuckle out of it though because not ONE of these clowns who say "Airbus sucks" would turn down a job flying right seat in one if offered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my point!!!

I'm neither a Boeing fan or a Airbus fan. Both make very nice aircraft and I'd be more than happy to fly either.. However, if I wanted to work for an aircraft manufacturer then I'd be looking at the political side of things in each company.

I strongly believe the A380 will be a success...... Over one hundred on order with MAJOR airlines. Once those airlines start operating the thing on routes where airlines are using 777's, who is going to want to fly on a 777. It would be like a Honda Civic compared to a Mercedes Benz S class or something... Those airlines will be forced into ordering them for competition purposes...

I refuse to buy into this Buy American crap. I generally prefer Airbus becuase as a customer I find them to be more modern and comftorable. If anyone calls me un-patriotic or whatever I couldn't care less. Besides, so many of Boeing's parts are made out of this country, and so many of Airbus' parts are made here. That being said, I do think some of Boeings long haul aircraft are nice (767, 777).

[ QUOTE ]
Once those airlines start operating the thing on routes where airlines are using 777's, who is going to want to fly on a 777.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think Joe Businessman or Aunt Bessie is going to care about whether their butts are on a 737, A320, 777, or A380? Joe Businessman is going to care about when he can fly. And Aunt Bessie is going to care about how much she has to pay for the flight.

Aircraft type? I betcha most folks don't even think about it.

Well if could fly from Los Angeles to lets say London and you had the choice of flying in a cramped up uncomfortable 777 or an A380 which will be very luxurious with plenty of room, and service, for the exact same price, which would you choose???

Sure, the average person doesn't care about what aircraft they fly on, but surely they care what they get for their money.

While the press releases (from Airbus) tout the spacious A380. I’m sure once the Airlines get a hold of it the A380 will be transformed into the same cattle car that every other revenue producing aircraft has become. I don’t care what the outside looks like they’ll still cram us in like sardines, only difference is; sardines are dead and beyond suffering from cramps or stinky passengers.

I do remember reading somewhere that the maximum allowable limit will be 555 people seats. If that is sooo then there will be more than plenty of room to have a luxurious configuration..

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Aircraft type? I betcha most folks don't even think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bite your tongue, there are bunch of freaks on airliners.net that care about aircraft types! I have found myself checking aircraft types when travelling, some aircraft are more comfortable to fly than others, but I realize that I am in the minority. Yes, I will pay extra for a more comfortable seat, & arrive at the airport early to get the emergency exit seat.

This is just like the auto industy in the 1980's, complaceny has taken over. Airbus will force Boeing to produce a better product, hence the 7E7. This 7E7 could be one hell of an amazing aircraft...

As far as the Airbus VS Boeing debate, my vote goes to the company that makes a better product.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why people here are sooooo anti-Airbus...

[/ QUOTE ]
The same reason MOST europeans are so anti-boeing.

[ QUOTE ]
Airbus Blows

[/ QUOTE ]

I third that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back