Wings Of Freedom

A Life Aloft

As part of the Wings of Freedom tour which is a traveling display of rare bomber and fighter aircraft that allows visitors to learn about the planes that served as the backbone of the U.S. effort during World War II, they landed today at SNA.

The nationwide tour, which touched down Wednesday and will be here through May 8 at the Lyon Air Museum at John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, which serves as a tribute to the flight crews who flew them, the ground crews who maintained them, the workers who built them, and the soldiers, sailors and airmen who helped protect them.

At the Lyon Air Museum, four rare planes will sit on the tarmac, having arrived under their own power, still operational. Alongside the B-24 Liberator will be the B-17 Flying Fortress, B-25 Mitchell and P-51 Mustang, the sole remaining example of its type in the world.

Retaining such planes to showcase has been a feat, Mitchell said, since many were scrapped for their raw aluminum after the war. The scarcity is the reason the Collings Foundation — a nonprofit education organization that recreates historical events — continues to fly and display the military aircrafts nationwide. The Collings Foundation also has Korean War, Vietnam War and other collections of aircraft.

In Orange County, visitors will be able to explore the aircraft for $12, or $6 for children 12 and younger. WWII veterans will be admitted to the ground tours at no charge. And $450 will buy a 30-minute ride on the B-17 or B-24; $2,200 covers a half-hour flight on a P-51.

750x422

Collings Foundation will present four fully-restored WWII bomber and fighter aircrafts to Lyon Air Museum at John Wayne Airport as part of the national Wings of Freedom Tour.

The tour, now in its 27th year, visits an average of 110 cities in more than 35 states annually. Officials estimate that 3.5 million people have seen the display.

Mitchell said the tour's primary goals are to honor the sacrifices made by veterans and to educate visitors, particularly younger Americans, about the country's history and heritage.

"Our emphasis is to pass the future to children and get them interested in careers like aviation or mechanics," said Mitchell. "This opportunity gives you a sense of freedom, and it's all the more symbolic when you're sitting in a military aircraft."

Mark Foster, president of the Lyon Air Museum, has helped bring the tour to Santa Ana each year since 2010.

As part of the tour, Foster said, guests may also walk through the museum and study machines, operational aircraft and automobiles that helped define the 20th century.

He said it was important for the air museum to reconnect veterans to the past and tell the story of the planes' role in World War II.

13178043_10154091244238211_5899306994499773849_n.jpg

Despite the risks of anti-aircraft fire, the B-17s and B-24s safely brought the crews home, he said.

"It's an intimate setting for visitors and World War II veterans to share historic experiences," Foster said of the tour. "It gives any visitor a better understanding of the aircraft than reading about it in a book."

750x422

nnyigr-b88402241z.120150506184850000gg89k1ar.10.jpg

--

Last edited:
It's the same plane in the third photo. She's a B-24 Liberator named Witchcraft. She was on a lend lease to the British Royal Air Force during WWII and was flown out of India in the Pacific Theater. The B-17 is named Nine O Nine and served as a rescue plane in the Caribbean at the end of WWII.

When I was about 21 before I was a pilot I was working the line when I got a free ride in Witchcraft. I remember hanging out in the tail gun, nose gun, walking the cat walk across the bomb bay in flight and pretend shooting the machine gun out the giant open air side window, pretty sure I took a selfie of my head out the window behind those big radials...but it was some old blackberry phone so it looks extra old. Awesome plane.

That's a great story!

Here's a cool deal, a WWII Vet who was a gunner on a B-17, was shot down over Germany, became a POW and now lives in Orange County was given a ride on the B-17 today.

"An Orange County veteran was on cloud nine Wednesday evening after reliving the thrill of flying in a vintage B-17 aircraft. The last time Lou Tirado flew in a B-17 he was shot down and captured during World War II.

"The last time I flew in one of these was almost 72 years ago," Tirado said. "I was what they called a ball-turret gunner. I sat in the ball, you had two .50 calibers and my job was to protect the bottom of the plane. So when enemy fighters come in from the bottom, it was my job to protect."

Tirado said he and his crew flew three missions from England to bomb Germany. On the third mission, Tirado said they took enemy fire. At 95 years old, Tirado still has vivid memories of his last flight on the B-17. The date was Sept. 12, 1944.

"The day we got shot down we were overwhelmed by fighters, and we were one of the first planes to get hit, so we didn't have much chance to do any protecting," Tirado explained. "Our plane caught fire and we bailed out into Germany and became prisoners," Tirado continued.

72 years later, Tirado, who was born in Brooklyn and now lives in Laguna Woods, was thrilled to fly on the vintage B-17 Flying Fortress. It's only one of eight B-17s in flying condition. The plane made a short flight from Riverside Municipal Airport to John Wayne Airport, with Tirado aboard and many cheering him on as he touched down.

"Hey, I didn't need a parachute this time," Tirado joked after he landed.

With all smiles aside, Tirado couldn't help but get emotional, not just for the two men who died during his last mission, but for all the service men and women who sacrifice every day to serve our country.

"If we all do a little bit, hey we can have the best country in the world, and we do," Tirado said."

o6olbe-b88703160z.120160504185224000gljgcn7n.10.jpg

o6olbd-b88703160z.120160504185224000gljgcn7j.10.jpg

o6olbf-b88703160z.120160504185224000gljgcn7p.10.jpg

o6olbg-b88703160z.120160504185224000gljgcn7t.10.jpg

o6olbh-b88703160z.120160504185224000gljgcn75.10.jpg

Last edited:
I volunteer for Collings every year flying their B-17. I might start flying the B-25 for giggles too. I highly recommend that if you're in the area, come out and say hi! I am not on the tour at the moment but I will pick it back up once they are in APC and CCR.

It's the same plane in the third photo. She's a B-24 Liberator named Witchcraft. She was on a lend lease to the British Royal Air Force during WWII and was flown out of India in the Pacific Theater. The B-17 is named Nine O Nine and served as a rescue plane in the Caribbean at the end of WWII.

I remember when that specific B-17 was Tanker 99, during its time as a forest fire airtanker with Globe Air out of KFFZ, along with 5 other B-17s they had.

Globe Air's predecessor used a couple of their B-17 airtankers when off season, in the filming of Tora Tora Tora in the late 1960s. In fact, the landing accident of the one B-17 in the film where it had one gear that wouldn't come down, was a real inflight emergency during filming, and the filmed crash-landing of that B-17 was kept for the movie.

Wow, that's cool info. I actually had tried to research a bit of their histories since the war, but didn't get very far.

That is really interesting about the filming incident. Apparently they had a few of those.

Ha! I found it:

They were out here in SDL a couple years ago. Great visit!

Wow, that's cool info. I actually had tried to research a bit of their histories since the war, but didn't get very far.

Yeah, Globe Air shut down in 1985, the same time the last fire seasons where B-17s participated. They had a very large auction of their fleet of B-17s, PV-2 Harpoons, and L-749/1049 Connies, as well as a couple of leftover TBMs (real TBMs, not the civvie turboprop :) ) that were all on the east side of FFZ at the time. Loved seeing them fly.

Oh man, Connies and Lockheed Harpoons too? Damn, I wonder who bought them all. The TBM's is that the Avenger?

That it is, the Avenger. Mostly museums bought the B-17s, I don't know where the Harpoons went except for a couple which are still at FFZ parked. The Connies went to collectors or museums for parts.

That it is, the Avenger. Mostly museums bought the B-17s, I don't know where the Harpoons went except for a couple which are still at FFZ parked. The Connies went to collectors or museums for parts.
The Avenger was a great bomber at the time. You see the old pics of them on the carrier decks with their wings folded up. I think the first ones that rolled off the line were used at Midway.

Last edited:
That's them, in the Globe Air red/white livery. Always thought the locally produced and retrofitted "bullet nose" replacing the plexiglass nose, looked sharp.

Can't believe the Harpoons are just sitting. I've never been to Falcon Field. Are they being restored or are they on display or anything?

Back