Will regional pay ever go up?

35/hr 1st yr is a completely fair wage! before age 65 Comair and i believe PNCL offered to raise 1st yr to match 2nd yr because they were so short. Union refused because it didnt benefit the entire pilot group. Now there's nothing we can do to get that leverage back until 65's impact wears out. 1st yr pay will come roaring up. Just wait and see...

How long until that happens?

Wrong, what PNCL did was on their own decide to offer hiring bonuses to new hires which would 'make up the difference'. ALPA said 'hey, if youre going to do that then you need to sign a LoA or a side letter or something' (which was an effort to try to get them to continue paying the bonus after they didn't need to.) PNCL refused and therefore stopped paying it.

Wrong, what PNCL did was on their own decide to offer hiring bonuses to new hires which would 'make up the difference'. ALPA said 'hey, if youre going to do that then you need to sign a LoA or a side letter or something' (which was an effort to try to get them to continue paying the bonus after they didn't need to.) PNCL refused and therefore stopped paying it.

PNCL did that AND offered a 'band aid' fix on the FO scale which would have raised FO pay from ghastly to decent. Kellwolf can confirm this. Union refused.

5 year CRJ capt at comair: $63
5 year ERJ capt at Mesa (Freedom): $61
5 year CRJ FO at comair: $38
5 year ERJ FO at Mesa: $35

Mesa has BoB on a per segment basis (I don't think ComAir has this), line guarantee, higher minimum guarantee per month than ComAir, etc. We're paid slightly less than you, just how much are we undercutting you exactly? Putting Mesa in the same boat as GoJets is crap and I won't stand for it.

Comair's rate was much higher than what you quoted. To compete with the likes of your company a significant pay cut was forced(not negotiated). I do apologize for grouping Mesa/Freedom with the likes of GoJets. I know many guys at Freedom who are stand up individuals.

Of course it was not. However the fact of the matter is the general public when hearing the poor wages of these pilots will indeed question if they are in hands of true professionals whom are fit to fly them from point A to point B. At the end of the day now that things are public it appears many factors will be determind to be the cause of the crash. Lack of experience in icing, lack of training on recovery from a stall in the plan being flown, not maintaining a sterile cockpit under 10,000' to just begin. Now dont get me wrong, have I been on planes where under 10000' there's talking? Hmmm yes, however now that this is all being brought to the public eye pay is one of MANY items that will be examined along with work rules. As a PILOT I dont see this being a bad thing for them to examine. Maybe in some weird and cruel way this will light a fire under executives at regionals.

I hope you're right!

I'm all for regional pilots making more money. I'm not going to hold my breath that the public is going to be talking about this after this weekend. They have an American Idol finalist to worry about next week.

Back