Why you know NetworkJC is important...

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
...in a weird way.

Having a debate with your wife about the relevance of "Joy Division" to modern alternative music (ClumpingLitter) and then discovering you have "bendy straws" in your cupboards (Bob D Duck).

....o.k. I get the bendy straws part... ;) But Joy Division :confused:

flexible_straws.jpg

Speaking of Joy Division. There is a great movie called 24 Hour Party People which is about the man who started the record label that signed Joy Division and how they eventually turned into New Order when the singer died. The label owner pretty much snorted his way to failure then signed the Happy Mondays who eventually spawned the rave scene in Manchester. Its a great movie. One of the best parts was at the end when he was reflecting back.
"I should have signed The Smiths."

Ouch..that'll leave a mark. Can you imagine passing on The Smiths? Poor guy.

"Morrissey? Marr? Who wants to listen to that morose BS? I'm holding out for Oasis! They're the new bloody Beatles!" ;)

"Morrissey? Marr? Who wants to listen to that morose BS? I'm holding out for Oasis! They're the new bloody Beatles!" ;)

A multi millionaire was dying and he offered both Morrissey and Marr millions to reform The Smiths for one show. They both declined. :buck:

Did you know Johnny Marr is the guitar player for Modest Mouse.
I knew I was good for something on JC. Useless rock knowledge. :sarcasm::)

I think we need to give Max a whole bunch of bendy straws next year so he can sip his drink. Howard, you're gonna have to make sure Max's consumption level stays high.:)

I didn't know that, but playing a couple of Modest Mouse tunes in my head, it all makes sense.

I'm actually heavily debating bidding a long layover (48 hr or whatever) in Manchester before it leaves the JFK base just to go do a little nostalgia club hopping.

I didn't know that, but playing a couple of Modest Mouse tunes in my head, it all makes sense.

I'm actually heavily debating bidding a long layover (48 hr or whatever) in Manchester before it leaves the JFK base just to go do a little nostalgia club hopping.

You better not go without me. I have alway wanted to see Manchester for that same reason. So many great bands got there start there. I hear its the Pittsburgh of the UK. :) I want to see where the Hacienda night club was or still is.

Stone Roses
Soupdragons
Jesus Jones
Stereo MCs
Jesus and Mary Chain
The Charletons
New Order
Joy Division
Ned Atomic Dustbin
Oasis
The Sex Pistols
The Smiths
The Fall
EMF

Morrissey/Marr or the Gallagher brothers? Not sure that's a choice I'd like to make; they're all nutters!

What about a Manchester meet'n'greet? That's a very, grey, dreary town, but they know how to party.

SeanD ~ you just named half the groups on my ipod!

I think we need to give Max a whole bunch of bendy straws next year so he can sip his drink. Howard, you're gonna have to make sure Max's consumption level stays high.:)
Most definitely!:D He came down too soon.:( I think if we don't make them too strong, he'll drink more of them!:crazy: After the first one he can't turn them down!

Most definitely!:D He came down too soon.:( I think if we don't make them too strong, he'll drink more of them!:crazy: After the first one he can't turn them down!

We just to sit Max down & hook up an IV Drip, one end in his vein, the other end near the bar so Tony can keep the booze flowing!

Back