Why Mesaba isn't hiring you.

jynxyjoe

Queso King
Wanted to get everyones attention all at once, forgive the title of the thread. I've had a lot of emails/phone calls about the hiring process and wanted to try and hit everyone at once.

Anything written in here comes from me, not directly from HR, I've asked some questions for people who are asking me and I'm answering as best I can. Remember you may have phrased the question to me differently than I asked it because I'm trying to hit a lot of people at once.

First off, YES, there are people in HR, it isn't a myth :nana2:.

Big question I get is: "Why can't I update my times on Mesaba"
Answer: HR is completely swamped and they disabled that update function because they can't review every two days when folks update their times. Basically, her words not mine, "if you don't have the time you shouldn't be applying", if later you get the time they will eventually get to you. Unfortunately some of you applied early (probably at my urging as well as many others) so just send an email update and they'll update you when they get time. Beechpilot (Andy) you are taken care of, I made sure they have your current stuff.

OK, the other question, "I have 700-1500 hours why don't they look at me when my student gets hired with no time."
Answer: (this sucks I know) Mesaba looks at time as one of twenty criteria. To be quite frank, time at this point time just gets your resume looked at. They are researching...
-driving record (apparently a biggy)
-employment history (biggy)
-how much are you flying
-how often (biggy) (seems like that should be the same as "how much" but I'm just relaying the answers)
-what type
-do you have a 4 year degree and they want to see it in aviation related stuff (biggy) (I feel an "I told you so" coming on)
-there were some more but I've already got them slipping out of my head

If you have applied and been told "no" then you do not fit into the Mesaba picture right now. Maybe in the future and I mean that in the nicest way possible and so does HR. They have an idea what they are looking for and they want them first. Also getting the interview isn't the same as it used to be. It used to be "You've got the job now come in and don't f it up", I'm being told they are weeding people out in the interview.

Is 121 time preferred?
Answer: It helps, it is not preferred.

Hope I've been helpful. Hope no ones feelings are hurt. This is how HR is rolling right now, it sucks for some of you I know, and if it sours your view of Mesaba then this place probably isn't for you right now. Hopefully in the future. If you haven't got a letter yet about trying again later then just be patient.

Thanks all. If you have further questions please PM. I'll do the best I can to get them answered.

Is driving record actually number one priority or are you just listing?
I got a darn failure to stop last month. First ticket of any type in 8 years. Was a total trap, but nonetheless, I got it. In Texas I guess you can file for something to get the first ticket to not count on your record. I went to go do that but then they said I could not because I held a Class A Commercial license.

Otherwise, I have the time, College Degree(In Psych but it was at a good school), and gosh darn it, people like me.(Old SNL ref)

Employment History? Well never been fired, but I worked at a lot of different places in the last 10 years. Mainly changed alot during college, which took up 5.5 of that. The rest I worked at two places.

I don't like these threads. I understand Mesaba is one of the few places hiring right now but I don't need a thread that is full of kind of preachy and condescending advice for a regional job. I understand that is probably not your intent but it is the impression I'm getting: I don't need to know why someone won't hire me, that is useless information.

(ready reserve makes me cranky. sorry!)

Um, maybe because you're not a "9" driving, Riddle/UND/Purdue/etc., frosted & spikey haired tool that refers to everyone as "brah"?

This has to be the most condescending thread I've seen yet while lurking on JC.

Mesaba is no different then any other crappy regional other than the fact that they're hiring...this week.

Consider yourself lucky if Mesaba, or any other regional, isn't hiring you.

-do you have a 4 year degree and they want to see it in aviation related stuff (biggy) (I feel an "I told you so" coming on)

What's with the "I told you so"? Getting a non-aviation degree is a very smart move, particularly these days.

What's with the "I told you so"? Getting a non-aviation degree is a very smart move, particularly these days.

So that you can change careers several years later to a degree that you have since forgotten about? hmmmmm

I don't understand what people are complaining about. I don't see anything condescending in this thread.

If I was looking for another regional job I'm damn sure I'd want to know what their hiring criteria are. And if I was getting swamped with "I applied below their mins and didn't get called! Why not?" I'd probably post something like this too.

Good post by the OP. There have been many people with some "higher" times that have not been called back by Mesaba or got the "no thank you" letter. This attempts to clear up the fog a bit and offer some insight into the majic if you will.

Nothing preachy about this. If you think haveing a degree in Engineering and then spending 3 or 4 years in aviation, then getting furloughed is goint to do you a bit of good, you are sorely mistaken. Just like aviation, almost any other profession (I am sure there are exceptions) wants to see recency of experience. I'm not advocating only major in Aviation or YOU HAVE TO GO to ABC 141 school, but don't be fooled into thinking majoring in something else is going to "furlough protect" you.

To Bobsamako

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder since you went out of your way to mention a few schools and associate those graduates with a few and far between stereotype of some current Regional FOs. Sure there are some tools out there, but do not mistake their toolishness with being a product of their educational enviroment, they are simply tools and would have been regardless of their flight training.

Having a degree in Engineering (which I do have) will help you a heck of a lot more than having a degree in aviation. A degree in aviation will get you a job managing a McDonalds at the airport, theres the aviation experience helping you. ;)

You are right though, OP does have some useful information and perhaps I took the post the wrong way. However, as soon as I got the 'thanks but no thanks' email I discarded Mesaba in my mind anyway. If I'm not a good fit for them that is OK, I move on. I don't need to know the reason I was not offered an interview and I don't think another applicant needs to know why he WON'T be hired/offered an interview. I think everyone knows that the places are hiring are being picky.

He could have said the same information in (in my opinion) less condescending way by making the post 'Qualities Mesaba is looking for in a FO' rather than 'Why Mesaba isn't hiring you.'

Having a degree in Engineering (which I do have) will help you a heck of a lot more than having a degree in aviation. A degree in aviation will get you a job managing a McDonalds at the airport, theres the aviation experience helping you. ;)

Nah, there's plenty of jobs out there that just want the "check the box" on the degree thing. For example, I could go be a substitute teacher in the DeSoto country school system tomorrow with an aviation degree.....or an english/history/engineering degree. It's not as useless as everyone makes it out to be, and business/accounting/basket weaving degrees aren't the great safety net everyone makes them out to be. When all you've got is a Bachelor in business and no recency of experience, good luck trying to get that nice job competing with guys with Masters and 4-5 years of experience in the field. You might wind up managing McDonald's, too. Heck, it would even work as experience towards that business degree job.

Eh, I don't want to have a condescending tone. I made the phone call (FINALLY GOT SOMEONE, after weeks of trying) and made notes as quick as I could, got to the computer and typed it out quick as I could (trying my best to make sure it made sense) and then ran back out to my flight to push out the next bank. Now I'm home enjoying a beer, and signing off as quick as I can :nana2:

I'm really just trying to answer the questions I've been asked and I don't have time to txt/call/pm a ton of guys mostly because its been over such a long time since they asked I can't remember who is who. The title was meant as "shock value" to get everyones attention. Not to piss anyone off.

Guys the OP post is right on, I dont think he was trying to be condescending. Ive only been here 6 months, but when it comes to hiring Mesaba is.........wierd, I guess. I personally know two guys that were really good, had degrees (which I do have) and more flight time than me when they interviewed. Neither of them were hired. I was very surprised to say the least. Mesaba definitely looks at more than just flight time in the interview, no doubt about it. Good luck to all of those who are interviewing.

I don't need to know why someone won't hire me, that is useless information.

Maybe useless to you, but not necessarily to someone else.

-----------------------------
For those that took this as condescending, his post was in response to threads on JC and other forums in which people complained about the fact that they were not chosen for interviews.

Some of those people came off as very selfish and childish (ie: "I have 650TT, and they called someone with 600TT before me. They must have a bias against high time guys." ...a slight exaggeration, but actually not far off)

Jnxy took initiative to call HR to find out what they were looking for, and should not be chided for it.

[/soapbox]

So that you can change careers several years later to a degree that you have since forgotten about? hmmmmm

Let me know if that works out for you. I have post-college work experience with my degree and a ton of contacts, I'd have no problem with that. It's sure going to work out a lot better for one to have a degree outside of aviation if the field totally tanks, that's for sure. Pilots with aviation degrees are a dime a dozen. Sorry, nothing special.

Thanks guys.

I knew I was gonna get flamed a little. I'm more concerned HR doesn't call me up and say "Mr. Jynxyjoe, (thats my real name), we saw ur post and we don't want you speaking for the company". This whole, "my feelings is hurt", stuff makes me drink harder. Working on JD and coke.

<---This guy is drunk

Let me know if that works out for you. I have post-college work experience with my degree and a ton of contacts, I'd have no problem with that. It's sure going to work out a lot better for one to have a degree outside of aviation if the field totally tanks, that's for sure. Pilots with aviation degrees are a dime a dozen. Sorry, nothing special.
Nothing special? Damn. Step aside, I take very large steps!

*taking large steps*

Nothing preachy about this. If you think haveing a degree in Engineering and then spending 3 or 4 years in aviation, then getting furloughed is goint to do you a bit of good, you are sorely mistaken. Just like aviation, almost any other profession (I am sure there are exceptions) wants to see recency of experience.

To some extent that is true, but as with aviation, it is important to maintain contacts in your backup industry. As mentioned in my post above, I know enough people in the engineering world that I could jump back in if I absolutely had to. It would be unpleasant, but I'd do it if I had to.

As a last resort, I'd go to grad school. It's cheaper and easier than going back for another 4 yr degree in something that you can actually get a job in if you only have a "check in the box" degree.

Less hours the better at some places. Generally the newer you are the less likely you will be to ask for lube. Lube costs money.

Back