Why Learn Tailwheel?

So you can get that feeling of learning to fly all over again... and you will learn to land on centerline going straight!

Because most pilots don't know what the rudder is for. Most pilots suck at:

-crosswind landings
-making coordinated turns
-demonstrating Dutch rolls
-slips, forward and side
-stare at "the ball" instead of something outside to control heading during a stall break
-crosswind take offs; turning the mains into pencil erasers as we scrub sideways at rotation
-dampening turbulence with ailerons AND the rudder

These are some of the rudimentary reasons. Basic airmanship that is better learned in a tail wheel aircraft.

You need to do it because you don't want to be one of 'those' pilots who don't even know they lack basic airmanship skills.

Should be required recurrent reading.

51rX3Jf-xHL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Should be required recurrent reading.

51rX3Jf-xHL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Here's another good one:

OTE4oSx.jpg

All these works are great. There's a problem, though: the generation younger than me doesn't really like to consume content in book form. The idea of "Here's a book on something really fun!" just doesn't resonate. They consume content in 1-5 minute nibbles and prefer mobile / video to paper. They want to Tweet their thoughts and Instagram their successes. I'll never be as skilled as some of the good old-timers I know... but I think I can present the basics in a format that a younger generation will really want. I'm hoping to build a product that CFIs will recommend to their Millennial/Gen-Y tailwheel students.

The list of things that can only be accomplished by flying tailwheel is endless. Bush, vintage airplanes, airplanes that fly inverted, etc... Plus it gives you to opportunity to meet strangers from the internet. @Adler or @inigo88

Just like @Nark said, if anyone is in S Florida, send me a message and I could probably take you flying in a tailwheel. I don't have access to the Pitts anymore, but I still have other options.

The list of things that can only be accomplished by flying tailwheel is endless. Bush, vintage airplanes, airplanes that fly inverted, etc... Plus it gives you to opportunity to meet strangers from the internet. @Adler or @inigo88

Just like @Nark said, if anyone is in S Florida, send me a message and I could probably take you flying in a tailwheel. I don't have access to the Pitts anymore, but I still have other options.
Did you say bush and strangers from the internet? Tell me more about this tail wheel.

A Citabria was recently added to the fleet where I rent from and I've been considering getting my tailwheel endorsement, mainly because I have been told it makes you a better pilot. Any thoughts on learning in this aircraft? Is one tailwheel better than another to learn in? Also, any advice on choosing a tailwheel instructor? It's been about 15 years since I've been in a training environment.

Great little vid, thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• image-2101538931.jpg
    image-2101538931.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 145
@womanpilot73 : here's my 2 cents. If you have a report with the school, a citabria is fine. Not to mention the instructor will be fine as well.
I've signed off one person for tail wheel, and my criteria is consistant 3 point landings and wheel landing.

Now, what make a tail dragger a superior pilot, is the continued practice and improvement, not simply having the endorsement.

Have fun, and enjoy the beast.

All of the good airplanes have tailwheels.

If someone doesn't want to fly tailwheels, they have no interest in flying good airplanes. If a person has no interest in good airplanes, then they have no passion for aviation. If a person has no passion for aviation, they'll be a crappy pilot and should have their certificates revoked.

A Citabria was recently added to the fleet where I rent from and I've been considering getting my tailwheel endorsement, mainly because I have been told it makes you a better pilot. Any thoughts on learning in this aircraft? Is one tailwheel better than another to learn in? Also, any advice on choosing a tailwheel instructor? It's been about 15 years since I've been in a training environment.

Great little vid, thanks for sharing.

A Citabria is a great aircraft to learn on... Probably the most common tailwheel trainer out there. As for CFIs, I think the best path is to talk to a few to see who you connect with the best.

Also... I'll just leave this here:
www.ladieslovetaildraggers.com

A Citabria was recently added to the fleet where I rent from and I've been considering getting my tailwheel endorsement, mainly because I have been told it makes you a better pilot. Any thoughts on learning in this aircraft?

The Citabria is as good a choice as anything. Honestly, it is not difficult to land. And I like the tandem cockpit. The critical difference in a taildragger is that you must treat it as if it is flying whenever it is in motion. All three wheels may be touching the ground, and while you may know that, the aircraft certainly does not.

99% of flying a taildragger is the same as any other aircraft, so time in taildraggers is a rather irrelevant metric. Landings and rollouts can be and usually are less forgiving, but not wildly different. If I've managed ~1,000 TW landings without incident alone, it can't be that hard.

Opened the hangar and there sat a Piper Pawnee, it reaked of spray chemicals. We argued for a couple minutes, I drew the short straw and had to fly that stinky SOB home. When I landed I was grandfathered into tailwheels without an endorsement.

I was far more prepared, with 2 prior hours of tailwheel experience before hopping in the Pawnee. They did make me demonstrate that I could taxi in a more or less straight line first. Actually, I almost like flying the thing. Almost.

Back