Why I would NEVER recommend the Dispatcher school I went to

BJJ

I am making this post because I think people who are looking into dispatcher schools should have as much information available to them as possible. This is a long message, but if you’re deciding on a school, it might be worth your while to read it. My bottom line is: If you’re looking for a dispatcher school, attend one that has at least a 6-week duration. Go to a school that does not compromise curriculum for profit.

I recently attended the Sheffield School of Aeronautics in Plantation, Florida (adjacent to Ft. Lauderdale). I’d like to tell you a bit about my experience and why I would NEVER recommend someone go to Sheffield. Bottom line: Their course is a 5-week course and it should be a 6-week course. If you look at other schools who have a good reputation as dispatch schools, you will see that their courses are 6 weeks. Sheffield’s course used to be a 6-week course. What they appear to have done, essentially, is to take the last week of their original 6-week course and cram it into the last week of their now 5-week course. So, you’re having to deal with the same content material and work load in one week that should be for two weeks. The result is that their curriculum – towards its end—is compromised (seriously compromised). The pace and workload is so heavy that, as stated, the curriculum is compromised, and thus the learning process is compromised. Why do they do this? I can only assume it’s about the money, i.e., shorter courses allow for more cohorts of students; and, companies, e.g., airlines, will be more likely to release their employees for a 5-week training vs. a 6-week training.

I’m an older guy (in my early 50’s) and my mind surely isn’t as sharp as it used to be. But, for the first 3.5 weeks I was getting A’s and high B’s on the tests. The program layout for the last week and a half was so bad that I eventually left before it ended (a few days before it ended). If I stayed, most likely I would have gotten my Dispatcher license. But, I decided not to spend another day in such a dysfunctional learning experience. Another student who was in the same cohort I was in called me recently and told me he didn’t pass the course. He also said another handful of people left the course after I did, plus another handful of students failed the course. I can’t vet this information, but that’s what he told me. Now, of course, there are students who passed the course, and probably a few with high marks. But that doesn’t dismiss the fact that the 5-week course is a compromised course. The course should be set up for success and optimized learning for a majority, not a minority.

I am an educator myself (I have a Ph.D. and have taught online classes for over 10 years), so I do have some experience about what constitutes a good course and an optimized learning experience. During the last week, especially, when we would review for an exam in class, when the instructor would ask a question on the course content, we would go through 9-10 students who didn’t know the answer before someone would finally get the answer. And this kept happening multiple, and multiple, times. If I were teaching a course and that many students couldn’t answer a question, I would seriously question what was wrong with the educational process. I think the instructors knew what was wrong (that is, there wasn’t enough time to comprehensively or even adequately cover the material, but they had to go along with the school’s schedule).

One of the last things I said to one of the instructors before I left was that I wished the course was a 6-week course. He said to me in a very sincere tone, “I wish it was, too.” The instructors probably have no say in the length of the course, i.e., it’s the owner’s decision. I’d bet money that the instructors, if they could, would tell you a 6-week course is better for learning the material. Again, I can only assume this 5-week duration is simply about the money; and, unfortunately, Sheffield’s training is compromised since its course is 5 weeks. Money appears to trump the student’s learning experience and learning outcome. By the way, my two instructors were good-very knowledgeable and good instructors (except one instructor would look disgusted when some students asked questions). I thought it was perhaps just my impression, but I heard the same complaint from other students.

There were many students who were very angry during the last week and a half of the course (especially the last week), who felt completely cheated out of their money because of how dysfunctional the pace of the course was during this time. I mean, there was a lot of really pissed off people. And, no one would speak up because the instructors and the owner were the guys who had to pass you in the course in order for you to take the FAA practical exam, AND one of the instructors (out of two of them) and the owner were the FAA examiners on the practical. When I did speak up at one point in the last week about the lack of adequate time spent on covering material we needed to know on a test, during our next break another student said to me, “Man, you sure had balls speaking up to them like you did.” No learning experience should have this type of climate.

Finally, it was interesting that on the first day the owner gave a half hour orientation speech. During that time he mentioned that some students thought that they (Sheffield) were “monsters.” I thought that was strange, i.e., why would some people think this? Perhaps, I now know why.

In my experience at dispatch school that's not overly unusual. I saw a few people pass the written exam and all the practice test with no problems, but when it came time for the practical they had no idea what was going on. I didn't go to Sheffield, but I finished my course in slightly under 5 weeks so it's definitely possible. 6 weeks would have dragged.

It's meant to be intense. You have to commit and you have to study. The rewards are great short and long term, and no beer has ever tasted better than the one I had 20 minutes after passing the practical.

In my experience at dispatch school that's not overly unusual. I saw a few people pass the written exam and all the practice test with no problems, but when it came time for the practical they had no idea what was going on. I didn't go to Sheffield, but I finished my course in slightly under 5 weeks so it's definitely possible. 6 weeks would have dragged.

It's meant to be intense. You have to commit and you have to study. The rewards are great short and long term, and no beer has ever tasted better than the one I had 20 minutes after passing the practical.

I can only speak of my experience at Sheffield's course. Many students were very angry about the last week of the course and would have preferred a 6 week course. And, I can only say as an educator myself, the curriculum, as it was set up in the last week, was terrible. It was not conducive to proper learning of the material. And, I agree with my other classmates who said they felt completely cheated out of their money.

If you were not able to handle the pace at the school it is probably best that you do not pursue this field. As challenging as the course is, it is only the beginning. The pace does not get better after you begin training at an airline. It is like "drinking from a fire hose" as I've heard it described recently.

We work in a fast paced environment. We must be able to absorb ever changing material, quickly and accurately, and put this information into practice immediately.

Thousands of people have come before you and have been successful. Thousands have also failed. That's the way it works. The course weeds out those that can not do the job. Get over it. You made the choice to attend and realized on your own that you could not handle it. That doesn't mean you should be bashing the school and discouraging others from attending.

If you were not able to handle the pace at the school it is probably best that you do not pursue this field. As challenging as the course is, it is only the beginning. The pace does not get better after you begin training at an airline. It is like "drinking from a fire hose" as I've heard it described recently.

We work in a fast paced environment. We must be able to absorb ever changing material, quickly and accurately, and put this information into practice immediately.

Thousands of people have come before you and have been successful. Thousands have also failed. That's the way it works. The course weeds out those that can not do the job. Get over it. You made the choice to attend and realized on your own that you could not handle it. That doesn't mean you should be bashing the school and discouraging others from attending.

I am not "bashing" your school. I was simply describing my experience at Sheffield and offering advice to people looking to decide on a school.

I willl repeat, bottom line: In my opinion, you compromised your curriculum by cramming your training into a 5-week course when it would be optimal to have kept it as a 6-week course; and, as I had stated, I can only assume this was done for profit, not to offer the best learning experience and learning outcome for your students.

You can cloak your reasoning as putting things into a "fast paced environment" to mirror the industry environment. This, to me, is BS rationalization for cutting a course duration for profit. Why, pray tell, were there so many disgruntled students, including students there when I was there who ARE in the industry dispatching, telling me themselves anyone who was there paying for your service was getting ripped-off? When I mentioned to them your "fast-paced industry" rationalization, they told me that your dysfunctional pace did not reflect their job environment. So, you just keep on putting forth this erroneous rationalization. You DO NOT offer an optimal training program for those aspiring to become dispatchers. Period.

For those reading this thread, you can take or leave the information I posted about my experience at Sheffield and my opinion about the curriculum there. My intent for my original post was to describe my training at Sheffield, as I and many other students there at the time experienced it, so you can make an informed choice. What you (those looking into schools) do with that information is obviously up to you.

I will no longer be responding to any replies to this thread as I have provided the information I wanted to. All the best to those who are deciding on a school for training.

I went to IFOD in DFW and it was a 5 week course. The bigger class vs 1 instructor made it difficult for a lot of individual help, but they were always willing to stay after or during lunch break to help you with whatever subject you were struggling with. What's your background BJJ? I think having an aviation background definitely helped since I already knew a lot of the ATC side of things, but it was still a lot of information to take in and study over the 5 week duration. Is it doable? Absolutely. But that's not to say there weren't times of struggling through certain subjects (damn wx) and staying up until 1-3am studying. Sorry you had a bad experience. Maybe look into some other schools and see if maybe they suit you better?

I have never met a Sheffield Graduate that said his or her experience was not worth every ounce of blood sweat and tears after graduation day and beyond. However, your story mirrors what every Non-Graduating Sheffield Attendee says. It is all the school's fault and there is zero fault on the student.

Hundreds of students have passed Sheffield since they went down to a five week course so it can be done. Those that have gone through that course in 5 weeks and still praise it make me doubt that the learning environment is as dysfunctional as you say. If there was a breakdown in the educational process, then it happened between you and the school and not a result of the school failing you. Perhaps you needed to seek more help?

It would be interesting to hear @emorris's take on this.

Last edited:
tmpo7M5Dp.jpg

I was going to go to Sheffield until I read the comments from - I believe - the owner on here that were so unprofessional it was hard to believe it was not somebody trolling. I think they changed their website now, so it might be different. Before it said something like (paraphrasing) "the FAA ADX written is the easy part"; which has to be the biggest red flag. Then from comments on here from former students and the owner, they seemed to go above and beyond even what even the FAA expected. I went to Airline Grounds Schools in Cincinnati and did the online course followed by the 7-9 day finish-up class. You had the written done beforehand and the time was spent going over questions and flight plans. The owners were really nice and understanding and the FAA examiner even mentioned the dispatcher license truly being a license to now go and get the job where you are going to learn the operating requirements for that operation. Who remembers anything from dispatch school beyond 1-2-3, high mins, duty-times, alternate requirements, etc, is beyond me.

Did they not tell you that it was a five week course before you signed on the dotted line? Five weeks at IFOD was rough, but it was cake compared to OTJ at the airline.

We're gonna need more popcorn for this

terrell_owens_popcorn_dallas_feature_original_original.jpg

Did they not tell you that it was a five week course before you signed on the dotted line? Five weeks at IFOD was rough, but it was cake compared to OTJ at the airline.

We're gonna need more popcorn for this

terrell_owens_popcorn_dallas_feature_original_original.jpg
I have fond memories of OTJ....in fact when I think of it all I can hear is...

Edit to add: but seriously training was fun all the way along. It's what you make of it. I enjoyed dispatch school all the way to comp check.

You literally just validated every reason why I DID attend Sheffield. Thank you!!!!

So you go straight to the FAR's before the company FAA approved GOM when you have a question? I work with recent Sheffield graduates who just the other day brought up the fact that they barely recall what they learned at dispatch school during a discussion about brushing up on regulations before applying to other jobs. Two of them must have slipped through the cracks obviously.

I am not "bashing" your school. I was simply describing my experience at Sheffield and offering advice to people looking to decide on a school.

I willl repeat, bottom line: In my opinion, you compromised your curriculum by cramming your training into a 5-week course when it would be optimal to have kept it as a 6-week course; and, as I had stated, I can only assume this was done for profit, not to offer the best learning experience and learning outcome for your students.

You can cloak your reasoning as putting things into a "fast paced environment" to mirror the industry environment. This, to me, is BS rationalization for cutting a course duration for profit. Why, pray tell, were there so many disgruntled students, including students there when I was there who ARE in the industry dispatching, telling me themselves anyone who was there paying for your service was getting ripped-off? When I mentioned to them your "fast-paced industry" rationalization, they told me that your dysfunctional pace did not reflect their job environment. So, you just keep on putting forth this erroneous rationalization. You DO NOT offer an optimal training program for those aspiring to become dispatchers. Period.

For those reading this thread, you can take or leave the information I posted about my experience at Sheffield and my opinion about the curriculum there. My intent for my original post was to describe my training at Sheffield, as I and many other students there at the time experienced it, so you can make an informed choice. What you (those looking into schools) do with that information is obviously up to you.

I will no longer be responding to any replies to this thread as I have provided the information I wanted to. All the best to those who are deciding on a school for training.

For starters, let me be clear. Sheffield is not "my school". I did not attend Sheffield nor do I have any affiliation with the school or owner. But what I do know after being a dispatcher for many years now is that Sheffield consistently produces top quality dispatchers. That is not to say that other schools do not. But they have proven year after year to be one of the best.

The fact that you were unable to handle the pace speaks more to your potential abilities as a dispatcher, not to the quality of curriculum at Sheffield. It's tough. It's suppose to be tough. As I said before thousands have come before you and were very successful. I am certain that, like any school, they could do things better. The only people I have ever heard speak poorly over the years about Sheffield or any other school are the ones that couldn't cut it.

Stop whining about your decision and move on. You saved an airline the trouble of washing you out sometime later on down the line. Sheffield and the dispatch profession in general will not miss a minute of sleep over your opinion.

Dispatch school is indeed a lot of information in a short period of time. It also doesn't help if you have ZERO aviation experience. However reading this thread I can't believe the level of ignorance from my fellow Dispatchers in the field. I believe what BJJ wanted was 6 vs. 5 weeks. Having trained dozens of "fresh out of school" dispatchers myself, nobody gives you a deadline at your airline that's not subject to personal comfort level. So to compare Dispatch school and training on the desk are like comparing apples and oranges.

I went to IFOD in DFW and it was a 5 week course. The bigger class vs 1 instructor made it difficult for a lot of individual help, but they were always willing to stay after or during lunch break to help you with whatever subject you were struggling with. What's your background BJJ? I think having an aviation background definitely helped since I already knew a lot of the ATC side of things, but it was still a lot of information to take in and study over the 5 week duration. Is it doable? Absolutely. But that's not to say there weren't times of struggling through certain subjects (damn wx) and staying up until 1-3am studying. Sorry you had a bad experience. Maybe look into some other schools and see if maybe they suit you better?

Amen. When I was at IFOD my day started at 8am and ended at 1230 - 1am everyday. Plus at least 6 hours on the weekends. I passed my practical with no problem on the first go around and same with the oral/practical.

As the instructor told us one day it used to be 8-weeks,but the FAA shrank it down to its current length. That it was two years of info in a month basically.

Dispatch school is indeed a lot of information in a short period of time. It also doesn't help if you have ZERO aviation experience. However reading this thread I can't believe the level of ignorance from my fellow Dispatchers in the field. I believe what BJJ wanted was 6 vs. 5 weeks. Having trained dozens of "fresh out of school" dispatchers myself, nobody gives you a deadline at your airline that's not subject to personal comfort level. So to compare Dispatch school and training on the desk are like comparing apples and oranges.

No kidding. I have airport ops experience ,but it didn't help much as it wasn't relevant to dispatch.

Now on the practical with flight planning it helped as we used a 737-800 so I was a bit familiar with some of the systems as my current company uses the aircraft. When planning our flights I had an idea of somewhat in the loading from using the load plans I see at work.

So I can only imagine how foriegn it may be if someone had no knowledge of aviation or somewhat familiar with just basic operations.

You would think that there were lots of dispatch schools when people think they are special because they got the same dispatch license every other person that passes a dispatch course, written, and practical exam receives from the FAA because they went to Sheffield. Like they graduated from Harvard or Yale compared to the thousands of other universities who are annually ranked and have some kind of public statistics available. Sheffield, AGS, IFOD, Jeppesen, Flight Safety...all are part of the 46 schools listed on FAA directory and the others are made up of over 40% with .edu websites. While the rest seem to either barely exist, operate small operations, or offer a dispatcher course as part of a bigger operation mostly focused on pilot training. How Sheffield manages to survive in such a non-competitive industry must mean they are amazing and probably why if you search "emorris" in the search box up top (but not in the username field anymore since I am guessing somebody pointed out some basic good business practices like not bashing your former students on a public forum) you will find some interesting posts from him. It sounds like they operate like some public schools when the No Child Left Behind Act was passed. Give the slower/troubled kids the nudge to drop-out so you don't have to spend the time or risk lowering the school's overall pass rate.

BJJ comes on here and the review is not even that bad as I read it anyway. He thought the course should have been longer. Now I don't even agree with that and understand why shorter courses appeal to more people. A long distance course with a short finish up class was only way it worked for my schedule and finances. He probably also gave them exactly what he wanted by choosing to leave. But he obviously spent the time to write both his opinion and his justifications for those opinions. He acknowledges his older age and how it could have played a role. That he has experience teaching and normal teaching practices. He even didn't seem to have a problem with the instructors but more the pace of the end of the course and the management style. He could be wrong, right, or somewhat either way. I don't seem to see why it justifies being bashed for having a different opinion and not succeeding because 'thousands' of others have. From what I understand there is more than a small trickle of disgruntled past Sheffield students who magically go on and finish up in other schools and shockley manage to get jobs because realistically most companies will care that you have the license and some kind of aviation work experience or training instead of where you got your license. The rush to bash any naysayers by some seems no different than Comair/Delta/Aerosim/'whatever name they change to next' Academy graduates having any real justifiable advantage for acting conceited for having the same pilot licenses as some person who did it at a small local school.

Last edited:
Back