Why I am a Jetcareers Fanboy

Gonzo

Every once in a while we need a reminder of why we support people, things or ideas.

Today was one of those days for me. For me Jetcareers is all three: people (@Derg Kristie and all the other members), things (This web site, NJC, etc) and ideas (pay it forward, looking out for either other, etc). Today I went to a job fair and it really reminded me why Jetcareers is so great.

Outside of the NJC job expo this was my first job fair. It cost me more to go to this job fair then the price of all my tickets to NJC over the years. Talking to guys at the job fair it was in line with other job fairs they had been to. One of the Two airlines HR people there today weren't even taking resumes and was just handing out a flyer with how to apply online. There was a lot of Comair guys with less then a week of employment and I couldn't help but to think back to the way Doug couldn't take a dollar from them and they had to pay full price for what amounted to nothing today.

I guess I can't hold a grudge against somebody trying to make a buck, and just realize how much of a great resource we have in Jetcareers.

I just want to say thank you to Doug, Kristie and the rest of the JC community.

This place is indeed pretty awesome man. I have only been a member here a year or two but I have gotten some really good advice as far as planning for the future goes. I look forward to being a part of this community for many years to come. All of you guys are awesome.

Every once in a while we need a reminder of why we support people, things or ideas.

Today was one of those days for me. For me Jetcareers is all three: people (@Derg Kristie and all the other members), things (This web site, NJC, etc) and ideas (pay it forward, looking out for either other, etc). Today I went to a job fair and it really reminded me why Jetcareers is so great.

Outside of the NJC job expo this was my first job fair. It cost me more to go to this job fair then the price of all my tickets to NJC over the years. Talking to guys at the job fair it was in line with other job fairs they had been to. One of the Two airlines HR people there today weren't even taking resumes and was just handing out a flyer with how to apply online. There was a lot of Comair guys with less then a week of employment and I couldn't help but to think back to the way Doug couldn't take a dollar from them and they had to pay full price for what amounted to nothing today.

I guess I can't hold a grudge against somebody trying to make a buck, and just realize how much of a great resource we have in Jetcareers.

I just want to say thank you to Doug, Kristie and the rest of the JC community.

Thanks for "getting it" man.

So many people don't.

Seriously, this post means way more than you realize. Way more.

I've said it several times, but for me it's the attitudes here. Coming from one of the most negative sites on the planet, it was nice to find people that actually enjoyed flying for a living.

NJC and the rest of it is the icing on that cake:

Well, my goal is to program JC's own obsolescence.

Create a website, get people working together in the "real world" and just use JC as the launch point to coordinate "real world" stuff.

I really have no interest in babysitting a bunch of adults arguing like they've lost their man-pants.

A job opportunity pops open for XXXXXXXX where they want to hire 30 pilots, within 30 minutes they've already got 45 solid recommendations and they don't even have to post the job to the internet. That's somewhat already going on right now, but I want to expand it.

The companies appreciate it, don't have to dig through 10,000 resumes, read, answer and file... just "we need 30 guys" and WHAM, here's X number of guys with internal reccs, fully networked and you don't have to wait for three weeks for them to get their crap in order because they're 'pre-briefed'.

No job fairs, no resume services, no application websites, just good people helping good people find great opportunities.

Don't sell the arguing part short though ;) I've learned a lot about the industry through the bickering of the people in it!

I try to get everyone I know to sign up sooner rather than later, even if they just lurk (especially when they ask me things like "Do you think I should right seat in a citation for free?"). Those are things that I might have done, you know... to network, had I not known any better, but I did know better!

It's like a trade journal in real-time around here ;)

I know a few people on here IRL, two through college (that are on here) and about 5 more through meet n greets... Can't say I've met my "life partner" like Emu but this site has definitely been a re-education on the industry for me. I wasn't able to get the 13th off for NJC this yr, but with another year of seniority in 2013 I should be able to pull it off! :D

Thanks to Derg, Kristie n friends!

I think Doug should pay us for being here. But seriously, I was able last year to go to Vegas on my companies dime and I meet D n K for the first time. And it was an honor. This time i don't think my wife will allow me, seeing that we will have a 5 week old and a very active 2 year old.

Back