Why hello there United...

Awesome pic! I don't know what more Airliners.net is looking for because I think that pic is sweeeet!!:nana2:

Nope. I have never gotten wake turbulence from traffic at altitude in cruise. Wingtip vortecies are a minimum.

Hmm ok, I have a few times, but never had a direct pass like that. I think most of the time its been from crossing traffic.

I asked about the crop because it is not particularly sharp photo. I know a.net is picky about that. Did you try USM or any PP? Sharpen and contrast could probably get it there. Of course, a.net values geeks with handhelds and 400mm lens more than pilots of real aircraft so it could be a pointless effort.

I asked about the crop because it is not particularly sharp photo. I know a.net is picky about that. Did you try USM or any PP? Sharpen and contrast could probably get it there. Of course, a.net values geeks with handhelds and 400mm lens more than pilots of real aircraft so it could be a pointless effort.

You are right, it is not the sharpest photo but I don't really want to mess around too much with the original. I sharpened it up just a tad with USM but aside from that, I don't really do a whole lot of with my pictures... which might partially explain the rejections. The only thing I use Photoshop for messing around with the raw editor, leveling horizons if I mess up the shot, and a little bit of sharpening. I forbid myself from doing anymore.

Airliners.net is like online gaming; at first you have a good time with it and everyone is competitive but after x amount of time, casual/amateur participants are no longer remotely competitive and shouldn't bother. I'm ok with that :)

We have wake turbulence issues fairly often on the north atlantic track system. Oftentimes we'll offset to avoid it when the winds are at a velocity and angle to make it a factor.

Too many stories of sitting there working on a post position plot on Track B, then a 747 silently overtakes you from 1000 above, then WHOMP! Then the sound of crap falling in the forward galley and the A-line's walker rolling down the aisle.

Is there some sort of etiquette amongst pilots in these situations? Like the 747 contacting you and giving you some warning that given conditions, you might feel some bumps?

Nah, you just know. 99.999% of the time you feel nothing.

We were at FL360 RIC-STL yesterday. This guy was 1000' above. I didn't have time to swap to my big lens.

150mm, f/8, ISO 100, 1/800 on a Zuiko lens.

3134553016_b26be702f4_o.jpg

757?

On your recommendations, here is the updated pic. I used Silkypix and I think I get much better results with it rather than Photoshop.

Mods, can you please place this new version in the original post?

New
3134553016_f17fbb3ab6_o.jpg

Original
PC233633.jpg

Any other tips from the gurus?

We have wake turbulence issues fairly often on the north atlantic track system. Oftentimes we'll offset to avoid it when the winds are at a velocity and angle to make it a factor.

Too many stories of sitting there working on a post position plot on Track B, then a 747 silently overtakes you from 1000 above, then WHOMP! Then the sound of crap falling in the forward galley and the A-line's walker rolling down the aisle.

Thankfully, I don't know if you've noticed or not Doug, a lot of guys flying the NATS when overtaking another will actually offset prior to overtaking as a courtesy.

When we get the big stacks in the summer (767's,747's,777's) all stacked on the same track, same piece of airspace 4-5 planes deep from FL330-FL370, then magically the subsequent aircraft falling behind start getting rocked about, and in a piece of smooth airspace once the tracks are in full flow especially during the summer, everyone starts getting bounced around for the rest of the night it seems.

I've seen it bad enough that pilots will report constant moderate chop, they offset by a mile and it's smooth as butter.

Back