Why do commuter guys call layovers overnights???

skysnake

You guys make it sound like you are going on a boy scout trip. Layovers are called layovers! Overnights are what you do when you're camping.

You guys make it sound like you are going on a boy scout trip. Layovers are called layovers! Overnights are what you do when you're camping.

And why do you call us commuter guys??? You make it sound like we're just a bunch of guys going to work. Regional pilots are called regional pilots! Commuting is what you do when you are going to your place of work.

How about who cares what it is called?

lay·o·ver
n.
A short stop or break in a journey, usually imposed by scheduling requirements.

o·ver·night
n.
An overnight stay or trip.

Layover is a passenger term.

I don't work for a "commuter," and all of the pilots I fly with say overnight. Can't say that I've ever heard many air line pilots saying "layover."

layover or overnight.
Nap or CDO or highspeed.
First officer or co-pilot.
Rotation or pairing or trip.
chicken or beef.

Different words that mean exactly the same thing.

Maybe its a legacy carrier thing. I flew for a commuter airline (SkyWest) and they called layovers overnights too. I have never heard a guy at AA or at Continental (my wife flies for them) call a layover an overnight.

I guess it's a small airline thing.

Cheers

I've called it an overnight my entire career. Never heard anyone call them "layovers".

Size doesn't matter. ;)

Sure it does. I know that as FO if I want a chance to live if we have to escape through the hatch in the RJ, I'd have to go first, because there are a lot of Captains that'd clog the exit, and DRANO doesn't float.

And why do you call us commuter guys??? You make it sound like we're just a bunch of guys going to work. Regional pilots are called regional pilots! Commuting is what you do when you are going to your place of work.

How about who cares what it is called?

So, the dude who spends one sentence showing how much he cares what he is called......then goes on to suggest it doesn't matter what it's called??

WTF difference does it make if you're called a "commuter" pilot or a "regional" pilot?

This, to me, is the same as when people get all bothered when they're called a "copilot" instead of a "first officer".

I always used "commuter" and "regional" interchangeably. Never bothered me. I almost always say "copilot" instead of "FO." Not sure why they should be considered offensive.

Maybe its a legacy carrier thing. I flew for a commuter airline (SkyWest) and they called layovers overnights too. I have never heard a guy at AA or at Continental (my wife flies for them) call a layover an overnight.

I guess it's a small airline thing.

Cheers

You mean the small airline I worked for that had 3,000 pilots and was a major by DOT standards?

Must be.

You mean the small airline I worked for that had 3,000 pilots and was a major by DOT standards?

That is the argument most commonly used by commuter pilots in hotel bars when attempting to pick up girls who aren't impressed by scooter-trash paychecks. :p

Formerly known as

I stopped referring to ExpressJet, SkyWest, Colgan, Pinnacle, etc. as 'regionals' sometime in the past year.

The attitude that it is a stepping stone that will not last long enough to bother attempting to improve them must cease and ditching the title that got its origins from the small commuter operations of the 80s and 90s is the first step.

Vendors.

Contract lift.

Fee for departure.

Wholly own subsidiary capacity.

Anything but 'regionals.'

After all, AirTran and Southwest are regional airlines compared to Cathay Pacific or Delta. It just depends on your perspective.

Great Lakes? CapeAir? They are still commuter/regional airlines in my mind.

But the ones with jets that seat about as many as a DC-9-10 or an F-28 and fly 3-4 hour legs between major cities?

Please join me in not referring to them as regionals. There's nothing regional about them.

skysnake;1059858..written by a major airline pilot. [/quote said:
Or jackass.
A layover is what you have when you drop your freight and you wait hours to get the out going freight. Overnights are what you have when you actually go to the hotel.

We call them layovers because overnight doesn't make a lot of sense if you have two or three nights in your layover. So I think it is situational, if it is one night I call it an overnight, if I have 36 hours it is a layover.

Back