Why Cover Your N Number?

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
Why do people cover up their N number after a accident? It's going to be in tomorrows report which is public knowledge. I understand Airlines painting over their logo but why the N number?

Looks like a 210 with the turbine mod. My friend looked into this mod, he says $800k.

635575466562226711-Still0122-00000.jpg

A small, one-engine plane crash landed in field near West 84th Avenue and Federal Boulevard in Westminster Thursday afternoon.

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2015/01/22/plane-crashes-in-westminster-field/22183261/

Airlines do it. I remember many years ago, a USAir IIRC, in Erie that ran off the end of the runway, after everyone was out, the paint rollers came out.

geeze....not a good couple of weeks for Colorado aviation. 2 with Keylime, this one, and I think a 172?

Seems almost standard practice. Thai Airlines painted the tail and number black. While public knowledge at some point, I understand the idea of making it as difficult as possible to see the number. Privacy is always nice regardless.

Then again, I work in an industry where photography is off limits, customer lists and passenger manifestos are tightly guarded secrets, and its is a big hush hush deal.

Why do people cover up their N number after a accident? It's going to be in tomorrows report which is public knowledge. I understand Airlines painting over their logo but why the N number?

Looks like a 210 with the turbine mod. My friend looked into this mod, he says $800k.

635575466562226711-Still0122-00000.jpg

A small, one-engine plane crash landed in field near West 84th Avenue and Federal Boulevard in Westminster Thursday afternoon.

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2015/01/22/plane-crashes-in-westminster-field/22183261/

That's a 207 (possibly a Soloy), not a Silver Eagle.

Meh, same reason airlines cover up the titles. Once what was left of Asiana 214 was hauled to a remote spot at SFO, they painted over the titles. Pretty sure everyone knew what 777 that was, but for the few who didn't, at least it didn't say "ASIANA AIRLINES" across it.

In my "I'm not a PR rep nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night" opinion, its a prudent step to take if you want to do all that you legally can to keep your name out of the media for as long as you can. Sure, it's all going to come out eventually, but at least you buy yourself some time to react to the incident.

Yes Flint DEA bird, Soloy, I saw it takeoff today. I heard no injuries thank goodness.

Last edited:
I don't get why people cover logos and N numbers. You can always tell who it is very easily.
Yuh huh. Sure.

Let's just say that it's a good idea to paint over the titles and the N# for public relations/customer relations purposes and leave it at that.

(No publicity is, in fact, good publicity.)

Back