Why a 3-bladed prop?

Since we're talking about props, why isn't the Q-tip more popular?

Its gotta be a maintenance/repair/cost prohibitive item. The design of the Q-tip would be much quieter, and certainly more efficient since the tips are basically going to do the same as blended wings.

You may need to look at the STC or the type data sheet for the new limits. On my 8KCAB the RPM indicator still has the old limits marked on it, but the type data sheet removes the intermediate RPM limit and increases the maximum RPM.
I've seen the same thing with other airplanes... for example with some 172s Vfe 10 degrees is 110 knots, yet many pilots assume the limit is 95 knots.

I doubt that I still have the POH (that was 5 moves ago and I havent logged .1 in one since like 2003), but I will take your word for it. That would make sense about the gauge markings.

the same reason a why there was more wings on a fokker more lift,but at the cost of more drag,so its all realitive to what you want to accomplish with that lift produced at a givin point in the flight,in the end its all pretty much the same it makes you go...

Forget 3 bladed props. Someone got it right when you stick 2, 3 bladed props on the same engine. Now thats cool looking.

Contrarotating.jpg

P-51, but the contra-rotating prop is purely for racing in Reno.

That's what I thought. THey had a gathering of mustangs and legends up in columbus Ohio a while back and I went. I'm pretty sure I've seen that plane. Pretty neat to see all the old p-51's still flying there.

Back