who turns on the lights?

Just a different method of doing business, Our landing lights come on/off at 18K coincident with altimeter change, the logic being leaving/entering the VFR environment below Class A. Seems to be the only place that does it this way?
Of course. All this stuff is company specific and have there reason like harmonizing between fleet types. Lights on at 18k while your doing 300+ can be a drag if you’re airplane has retractable lights.

What about the seat belts at your shops?

I’m new to the Guppy and have had FOs turn it on and that caught me off guard. I thought I was El Supreme Commander of Belts.

Yes. Threw me off. AS FOs are ballsy with that one. When I was a VX FO I wouldn’t touch that sign without asking the CA what he thought. Now on Guppy? FOs just do it. Cultural thing.

I don’t mind for obvious bumps. But I’ve had FOs who at the first sign of a ripple, just throw the sign on. Wth?

Of course. All this stuff is company specific and have there reason like harmonizing between fleet types. Lights on at 18k while your doing 300+ can be a drag if you’re airplane has retractable lights.

absolutely, and can also be unnecessary stress on the same light mechanisms. .

Some of our 737s have retractable and fixed lights. On those, I put away the retractable lights at 10k (or on below 10k). But some have only one switch for each side, and there’s no option/control on that.

Our books state it’s safe and negligible effect to have the retract lights on at typical descent speeds at 18k. Still, I do those retract lights at 10k for on/off.

What about the seat belts at your shops?

I’m new to the Guppy and have had FOs turn it on and that caught me off guard. I thought I was El Supreme Commander of Belts.

It seems to me like it’s a PM thing. I usually forget it’s there and sometimes the captain asks me to turn on or off the seatbelt sign. But only when I’m the PM. PF El Supremo Commando does it,

Generally I just ask before I touch something. Kind of like with women…

Want me to turn the seatbelt on/off?

Yup

Ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems to me like it’s a PM thing. I usually forget it’s there and sometimes the captain asks me to turn on or off the seatbelt sign. But only when I’m the PM. PF El Supremo Commando does it,

Generally I just ask before I touch something. Kind of like with women…

Want me to turn the seatbelt on/off?

Yup

Ok

This reminded me of something; I should add to my response above that I made: under normal operations. Every now and again here, whomever is the PF will want to keep hand flying for a period of time in the climb or in the descent. In that case, when off autopilot, the PF is only allowed to fly and isn’t to be flipping switches. Any switch changes in that case, the PF should call for them and the PM perform them, or the PM perform them when they would normally be done by the PF/PM.

But if we took off and I’m handflying, the seatbelt sign is on anyway. Same thing on the way down. Seatbelt sign is on by 18k and I’m usually almost never hand flying that early.

Kuwait airspace loved having those different, low, and using QFE
QFE is awesome as long as you’re not in mountainous airspace.

Russia was QFE and transition to Meters below transition. It got interesting if you didn’t know what you’re doing.

It all depends on the country requirements. Some places in Russia, it’s as low as 2,600’ for transition altitude.

Mr. CFI, what’s the difference between transition level and altitude? And what’s QFE? ;)

From the not too way back file. Above 18k/Class A it's 29.92 on the altimeter.

From the not too way back file. Above 18k/Class A it's 29.92 on the altimeter.
Transition altitude is as you’re “A”scending, so it’s on the way up. It’s usually below transition level in most countries. Transition level is coming back to ground “L”evel so it’s on your descent. In the US, they’re both at 18k, but they’re not the same in most countries. It’s correct that above T/L T/A you’re on 29.92/1013 for altimeter setting. Below them, you’re on local altimeter setting.

QFE is the Field Elevation Q code. It’s very easy. When you land, your altimeter reads ‘0’ feet. There’s no remembering what your landing runway altitude MSL, or anything to remember. Standard ILS approach always has a DA of 200’. Only a few countries still use QFE though. There are a bunch of pressurization issues and computer issues you have to work through, and most places will have procedures for using QFE, or will prohibit its use, like my current company.

That’s your international procedures beginner course for today. ;)

The only one the FO is possibly going to touch at MRDSCC are the strobe lights. Usually the captain gets them, but it’s on the FO after landing flow. Other than that, Captain gets all the lights.

Oh yeah, that one pesky light switch. Coming to Ups I was shocked to learn that the CA does the walk around, while the FO loads the box. Shoot the FO even touches the hydraulic panel and fuel pumps on the before start. I always joke about how strict K4 was. Protecting the altitudes in Vnav path, announcing every FMA change, and the flaps 25 autobrake 2.

It all depends on the country requirements. Some places in Russia, it’s as low as 2,600’ for transition altitude.

Mr. CFI, what’s the difference between transition level and altitude? And what’s QFE? ;)
Aruba transition altitude is 2500' I usually feel like we're pulling transition at the same time you're pulling the thrust to climb power! :D

Back