who turns on the lights?

STS-41B

Total trivial question .. I’ve flown 2 jets and jumpseated on several types.
I’ve noticed on most, like the CRJ-900, B-737, A320.. the captain turns on and off the exterior lights..
However on the B-747 and B-777, the first officer controls the lights while the captain taxies…
just curious as to why the difference in procedure?

At Yellow the CA runs the lights. What I want to know is why at AA does the CA make announcements while taxiing? Seems unnecessary

At AS it depends. On the ground, the CA does the left side of overhead panel lights (taxi, landing lights), the FO does the right side lights (wings, strobe).

In the air, CA does all lights.

Probably aircraft dependent. On the Mad dog, the FO did ‘some’. On the bus, CA does all but then it’s right above my head.

Why is this even a question? Tom Boedett.

1668202566963.png

1668202622057.png

Total trivial question .. I’ve flown 2 jets and jumpseated on several types.
I’ve noticed on most, like the CRJ-900, B-737, A320.. the captain turns on and off the exterior lights..
However on the B-747 and B-777, the first officer controls the lights while the captain taxies…
just curious as to why the difference in procedure?

I don't ever recall touching the lights at K4 or UPS on the 74 during taxi.

At United it depends on fleet type. When I was on the 737 as an FO I had the beacon, wing and strobes. Cappy had all the landing and taxi lights. As an FO on the 777 the only one I touch is the beacon.

At Yellow the CA runs the lights. What I want to know is why at AA does the CA make announcements while taxiing? Seems unnecessary
"Flight attendants prepare for takeoff" is not a complex announcement, Nothing is to be added or subtracted from that. WIth that said, youll be comforted to know that this procedure is changing in January. As well as the PM will turn on/off lights thru 10k.

What about the seat belts at your shops?

I’m new to the Guppy and have had FOs turn it on and that caught me off guard. I thought I was El Supreme Commander of Belts.

Per our checklist, the CA normally manipulates the seatbelt sign in the air, the FO manipulates it on the ground in terms of switching it off as part of the overhead flow after the engines have been shut down.

"Flight attendants prepare for takeoff" is not a complex announcement, Nothing is to be added or subtracted from that. WIth that said, youll be comforted to know that this procedure is changing in January. As well as the PM will turn on/off lights thru 10k.

Just a different method of doing business, Our landing lights come on/off at 18K coincident with altimeter change, the logic being leaving/entering the VFR environment below Class A. Seems to be the only place that does it this way?

Just a different method of doing business, Our landing lights come on/off at 18K coincident with altimeter change, the logic being leaving/entering the VFR environment below Class A. Seems to be the only place that does it this way?
We’re the same, no matter T/L and T/A, we do it at 18k.

I don't ever recall touching the lights at K4 or UPS on the 74 during taxi.
The only one the FO is possibly going to touch at MRDSCC are the strobe lights. Usually the captain gets them, but it’s on the FO after landing flow. Other than that, Captain gets all the lights.

Back