Who signed this person off to solo let alone get their ppl?

I think that controller is at PHX now - sounds really familiar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That was painful.

From first-hand experience, if this goes to a certificate action, everyone in the pilot’s logbook is going to get a call from the FSDO.

When I went to the “Big Brown Desk” at the FAA when some of my ESL students were having issues at their airlines, well, I had to somehow think back two years and think, well, how proficient WAS that student in English? Oh boy.

I survived tho.
Reminds me of …

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=LpC4qCTG2UvdnPSD&v=uLP0EQZUab8&feature=youtu.be

You know, I'll say it.

Decades later, I still don't find this "very funny." The guy's english was pretty much just fine—he even uses colloquial phrasing under his breath. I recall hearing the details and how the IP was basically being burned by the heat, etc., but flipping out at someone and causing them stress when they've said several times that the heat is off and they're confused is literally only going to make things worse.

To me, I just hear a CRM breakdown preventing the desired result from being achieved.

You know, I'll say it.

Decades later, I still don't find this "very funny." The guy's english was pretty much just fine—he even uses colloquial phrasing under his breath. I recall hearing the details and how the IP was basically being burned by the heat, etc., but flipping out at someone and causing them stress when they've said several times that the heat is off and they're confused is literally only going to make things worse.

To me, I just hear a CRM breakdown preventing the desired result from being achieved.

That was literally how my first instructor back in 2001 would talk, rather yell at me, when I was getting my PPL. He flew Phantoms in Nam and F-15's until he retired. I was intimidated as fk. I had to fire him.

You know, I'll say it.

Obviously the dude lost his cool in a very non-productive/non-professional way, but the language barrier for those of us who have instructed foreign students is real. Not super long ago, i flew a bunch of flights with an Aussie (yes, English supposedly as a first language) who i could not understand a single word of. Like every single time he opened his mouth on ICS, i had to ask him to repeat himself multiple times. His whatever Aussie dialect accent was that strong. It got to be pretty stressful after a while. So i guess that is the humor……just listening to this guy suffering through such an experience. Obviously the student was super professional and trying his best.

I've spent some time around T-38s and F-5s and once seated in the cockpit (front or rear) it's pretty tight quarters once the canopy is closed. If someone had even a slight tendency towards claustrophobia I'd imagine if it started to get real uncomfortable thousands of feet in the air and there's a language barrier with the person controlling the heat it might require some vehemently yelled protests to fix the situation. I love fighters, but I also will never work on one again for a reason, they're dangerous because they have to be by definition, and I just can't get involved with that anymore. I think I'm just getting old, sometimes late at night I'll wake up and some odd memory from Reno or somewhere else will pop into my head and upset me enough to disrupt my sleep. I'm not going to continue to contribute to that bank of memories.

Obviously the dude lost his cool in a very non-productive/non-professional way, but the language barrier for those of us who have instructed foreign students is real. Not super long ago, i flew a bunch of flights with an Aussie (yes, English supposedly as a first language) who i could not understand a single word of. Like every single time he opened his mouth on ICS, i had to ask him to repeat himself multiple times. His whatever Aussie dialect accent was that strong. It got to be pretty stressful after a while. So i guess that is the humor……just listening to this guy suffering through such an experience. Obviously the student was super professional and trying his best.
Very many people have instructed foreign students, and many are way worse than the poor fellow in the video. "What the hell is going on" demonstrates a pretty decent command of colloquial english.

The only student I ever turned away was ESL japanese, and the language barrier was way higher. I'd say turn left and he'd turn right, or climb. There was very little understanding between us and I referred him to a japanese instructor I knew.

But he was a really nice guy, and I'd (rightly) feel like total trash if I unloaded on him like that.

But this isn't moralizing so much as just saying that the dude yelling at his student is hindering getting what he needs —the heat turned off. And it's just not funny to me.

Putting myself in the shoes of that student (I wish I could have been so lucky as to fly that sort of jet), Being screamed at and trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong it's just stressful as fox.

mneh.

Very many people have instructed foreign students, and many are way worse than the poor fellow in the video. "What the hell is going on" demonstrates a pretty decent command of colloquial english.

The only student I ever turned away was ESL japanese, and the language barrier was way higher. I'd say turn left and he'd turn right, or climb. There was very little understanding between us and I referred him to a japanese instructor I knew.

But he was a really nice guy, and I'd (rightly) feel like total trash if I unloaded on him like that.

But this isn't moralizing so much as just saying that the dude yelling at his student is hindering getting what he needs —the heat turned off. And it's just not funny to me.

Putting myself in the shoes of that student (I wish I could have been so lucky as to fly that sort of jet), Being screamed at and trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong it's just stressful as fox.

mneh.

Fair enough. I guess one thing I'd say is that mil flight training, at least a while ago, wasn't a place where it was unusual to have some "screamers". Not advocating for that method, and I think we largely don't do it anymore, but when this video was captured, it wouldn't have been that abnormal.....even for an "EFL" student :)

Fair enough. I guess one thing I'd say is that mil flight training, at least a while ago, wasn't a place where it was unusual to have some "screamers". Not advocating for that method, and I think we largely don't do it anymore, but when this video was captured, it wouldn't have been that abnormal.....even for an "EFL" student :)
For sure, and it's been "normal" in the civilian world, too.

But it's never not been stupid no matter where it is. I've heard from FOs I've flown with that they got yelled at in the sim by the instructor and it makes me put a stop to that. It's unacceptable.

In the case of the video above, the root point is that I don't find it funny, and that the guy is making things worse for himself by screaming unintelligibly to someone who obviously has at least a decent command of the English language.

That's it.

For sure, and it's been "normal" in the civilian world, too.

But it's never not been stupid no matter where it is. I've heard from FOs I've flown with that they got yelled at in the sim by the instructor and it makes me put a stop to that. It's unacceptable.

In the case of the video above, the root point is that I don't find it funny, and that the guy is making things worse for himself by screaming unintelligibly to someone who obviously has at least a decent command of the English language.

That's it.
Depending on the aircraft, the IP might be on his way to second degree burns.

Back