Who and How does FedEx name the DC-10's

JayAre

So any FedEx pilots say how its done? "Cindy" was in Salt Lake last night. "Brett" was here last week.

I never seen that done with other airlines putting names on the planes.

The pilots at TWA nicknamed their 727s.. though the names weren't terribly flattering.

So any FedEx pilots say how its done? "Cindy" was in Salt Lake last night. "Brett" was here last week.

They have a drawing where you put in your kid's name and if they are picked, it goes on an airplane.

Seagull and BoomBoom can probably give you even more information.

I rode on Ryan the other day (MD-10). I thought they'd use a more original name, but if Nick says they have a drawing where you put your kid's name, it now makes more sense.

They have a drawing where you put in your kid's name and if they are picked, it goes on an airplane.

Seagull and BoomBoom can probably give you even more information.

That is what an M11 captain told me as well. pretty cool I think.

My ride to work a few weeks ago:

n1532911522_454884_7017922.jpg

It used to be fairly common. Piedmont named the planes "x Pacemaker". Pan Am named its airplanes as did National out of Florida.

Ah, all the photos I've taken of FedEx MD10s, I've never noticed the names. Must be pretty cool for a kid to see their name on daddy's airplane.

I think it started with the first FedEx plane. It was named Wendy after the owners daughter.

It used to be fairly common. Piedmont named the planes "x Pacemaker".

And if you flew a Piedmont airplane into AVL between 1983 and 1990, you got asked by me what the name was.

Plus a bit of trivia... if it was the Mt. Mitchell Pacemaker, that was the "D. B. Cooper" airplane.

And if you flew a Piedmont airplane into AVL between 1983 and 1990, you got asked by me what the name was.

Plus a bit of trivia... if it was the Mt. Mitchell Pacemaker, that was the "D. B. Cooper" airplane.

I did. I flew YS-11s, 737-200s and 727-100s and -200s into AVL. And yes, the Mt Mitchell was the -100 that DB Cooper bailed out of.

FWIW, Piedmont was also the first airline to retire 727s from its fleet. PI got a 727 while it was waiting on its 737s and when they began to arrive, the 727 was retired. It later came back and we got 727s from Delta and All Nippon. I got to fly them with -7, -9 and -15 engines and some with 'intermix' engines. The 727 was one of my all time favorite airplanes. We were in Chicago this week and went to the Museum where the 727-100 is on display. I thought of all the places I got to visit in that fine machine. FWIW, also, the yoke on the 727-100 was displaced slightly off center to the outside. Never did like that. The -200 didn't have that.

I have heard from a few of the mechanics that work on them that when a Capt. retires he gets to name an airplane. But don't hold me to that. I can ask them. I'm in Memphis right now in fact.

I rode on Ryan the other day (MD-10). I thought they'd use a more original name, but if Nick says they have a drawing where you put your kid's name, it now makes more sense.

I worked for FedEx in PHX for a short (very short) time and this is also what they told me. If I remember right, any employee is elidgable for this and not just pilots.

Back