Who and How does FedEx name the DC-10's

They have a drawing where you put in your kid's name and if they are picked, it goes on an airplane.

Seagull and BoomBoom can probably give you even more information.

That's correct, and it is open to all employees, not just pilots. You fill out a form. If you get picked and one is already named that, they let you know. They also provide a photo for the drawing winners, as I recall.

For the record, all of them are MD-10s now, we don't have any DC-10s left, but the ATC computers aren't capable of knowing that!

Virgin America (and atlantic) names their planes as well. but it's usually a funny moniker as opposed to an actual name. I've seen a bunch, but "Air Colbert" (after stephen colbert), "unicorn chaser", and "the 40 year old virgin" stand out in my memory

And if you flew a Piedmont airplane into AVL between 1983 and 1990, you got asked by me what the name was.

Plus a bit of trivia... if it was the Mt. Mitchell Pacemaker, that was the "D. B. Cooper" airplane.

You're older than dirt. You can be my wing man anytime. please........go ahead.....finish the quote.

You know you want too. :)

Back