Whiz Wheel Or Electronic Flight Computers on CFI Checkride.

SillyPilot

On initial CFI ckeckride is applicant required to show to the inspector that he/she knows how to use E6B whiz wheel flight computer ? Are electronic flight allowed on initial CFI checkride ?

Re: Whiz Wheel Or Electronic Flight Computers on CFI Checkri

At no time on my CFI ride did the E6B require being used. I think if you did need to do calculations though, it wouldn't matter either way.

I didn't have to use one either.

Personally, I think the standard is the wheel. I think you should be able to use it without having to read the manual.

I didn't have to use one.

I don't believe the PTS calls for you to demonstrate proficiency with one.

You will have had to use one to complete the FIA exam. I guess if you scored low in an area that flight computers were required your examiner could possibly ask you to use one.

Pretty much anything can be asked in the oral. The thing is that it is an open book test, so as you start to explain you can look up the detail.

Mine centered around the FAR's and special emphasis areas in the PTS.

Jim
~600TT
200 tailwheel
CPL AMEL and ASEL CFI-A
USPA Tandem Instructor

I've never owned an archaic whiz wheel. If you do own one and want to use by all means go for it. But alas, we live in a digital world so I've always owned the electronic E6B. Make sure if you have one though, that you have spare batteries.

Be a man. Use a real E6B. But seriously, I didn't have to use one on any of my CFI rides.

I think you should be able to use it without having to read the manual.

I'll admit it. Figuring out degrees to parallel and degrees to converge got me everytime. Seems like i'd always have to pull out that little blue book.

But seriously though groundspeed calculations and simple conversions ought to be second nature.

man, if you have to demonstrate an E6-B on your check ride, they are really searching for something.

anyway, I use a whiz wheel but the electronic one is not cheating in any form.

I just took my initial CFI ride last week. The examiner asked me to calculate an endurance/fuel burn calculation with an old school E6B. I had both the E6B and the electronic E6B and he asked me to use the old school one. It's obviously a simple task but nonetheless, I had to demonstrate it.

Your mileage may vary...

Chris

I just took my initial CFI ride last week. The examiner asked me to calculate an endurance/fuel burn calculation with an old school E6B. I had both the E6B and the electronic E6B and he asked me to use the old school one. It's obviously a simple task but nonetheless, I had to demonstrate it.

Your mileage may vary...

Chris
well, if you had both it's definitely fair game for the examiner to see if you can teach it.

I have yet to use an old school E6B. Never used it in training, never taught it. I know a lot of pilots disagree, but I think it's one of the most pointless "staples" of flight training still in use today.

It's like using an abacus when there is a pocket calculator on the desk. Sure, one *could* use an abacus, but the fact is, it's a tool of the dinosaurs. Same with whizwheels.

I have my reasons for preferring the mechanical.
1. It never runs out of batteries
2. It's smaller and lighter
3. I am actually quicker with it
4. (most important) I am an enormous nerd

I have yet to use an old school E6B. Never used it in training, never taught it. I know a lot of pilots disagree, but I think it's one of the most pointless "staples" of flight training still in use today.

It's like using an abacus when there is a pocket calculator on the desk. Sure, one *could* use an abacus, but the fact is, it's a tool of the dinosaurs. Same with whizwheels.

I used to think that way too, and never used one until I started instructing, but I prefer the whiz wheel. Much faster than the CX2 or Electronic version.

I used to think that way too, and never used one until I started instructing, but I prefer the whiz wheel. Much faster than the CX2 or Electronic version.

Fair enough. If a person prefers to use the whiz wheel, I don't see anything wrong with that. I just disagree with the notion that a "true" pilot *has* to learn the whiz wheel, it should be tested over on a CFI checkride, etc.

Fair enough. If a person prefers to use the whiz wheel, I don't see anything wrong with that. I just disagree with the notion that a "true" pilot *has* to learn the whiz wheel, it should be tested over on a CFI checkride, etc.

I think a CFI should know how to use it, simply because they may be required to teach it at some point. I wish I would have learned how earlier. Anyone other than a CFI, I agree, it doesn't matter.

I think a CFI should know how to use it, simply because they may be required to teach it at some point.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I still totally disagree.

Having to learn something that "may be required...at some point" is overkill.

Using that line of logic every CFI should know how to explain the systems for every piston single out there, because they might have to teach them at some point in their CFI career. Could you go on a checkride and explain the nuances of a Cessna 120, 140, 150, 152, 170, 172, 180, 182, 206, Piper Cadet, Warrior, Archer, Dakota, Arrow, Six, Lance, Saratoga, Cirrus SR-20, SR-22, Diamond Katana, etc.? I sure couldn't.

For a CFI checkride, just learn what applies universally (how a piston engine works, how wings produce lift, left turning tendencies, etc.), along with what applies specifically to the current situation (the fuel system of a C-172RG model, for instance), and call it good.

Knowledge of a whiz wheel doesn't fit in to either of those categories. Obviously being able to teach cross country planning is a critical (universal) element, but the tools used to go about doing so are irrelevant.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I still totally disagree.

Having to learn something that "may be required...at some point" is overkill.

Using that line of logic every CFI should know how to explain the systems for every piston single out there, because they might have to teach them at some point in their CFI career. Could you go on a checkride and explain the nuances of a Cessna 120, 140, 150, 152, 170, 172, 180, 182, 206, Piper Cadet, Warrior, Archer, Dakota, Arrow, Six, Lance, Saratoga, Cirrus SR-20, SR-22, Diamond Katana, etc.? I sure couldn't.

For a CFI checkride, just learn what applies universally (how a piston engine works, how wings produce lift, left turning tendencies, etc.), along with what applies specifically to the current situation (the fuel system of a C-172RG model, for instance), and call it good.

Knowledge of a whiz wheel doesn't fit in to either of those categories. Obviously being able to teach cross country planning is a critical (universal) element, but the tools used to go about doing so are irrelevant.
I took my initial CFI in an Arrow, and the examiner made me explain a jackscrew trim system. His reasoning was that it's in the PHAK.

I guess it depends on the examiner. I never had to pull out the E6B, but it seems reasonable to expect a CFI to know how to use one. At least the basic time/speed/distance, fuel burn, and groundspeed/wind correction stuff.

I agree with jrh. Both are FAA approved for written and oral exams, so why can't the instructor just choose which one? I personally prefer the Jepp CR computers.

I've never used one of them fancy newfangled electronic E6Bs. I'm pretty fast with the mechanical and have never had to buy batteries for it. I recommend the metal one though. My first E6B was paper and I used it so much it fell apart.

To each his own though. If the elec E6B works for you, great. But if you have a mechanical one with you, I don't see why an examiner couldn't ask you to teach with it.

Back