Whiz Wheel Or Electronic Flight Computers on CFI Checkride.

Re: Whiz Wheel Or Electronic Flight Computers on CFI Checkri

I have both, but mainly use the electronic one... I have the sportys version and love it.... I have a mechanical (paper) E6B in case I run out of batteries but that would be a "triple failure" and unlikely to happen since I carry spare batteries for everything.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I still totally disagree.

Having to learn something that "may be required...at some point" is overkill.
The way I look at it, is that it is required. That, or you will have to require that every student you ever instruct is required to go buy an electronic E6B. Totally different than saying you should know every system for every plane ever made. I make my students learn on the wheel even if they bring the electronic version, I have nothing against them though....But I am faster with the wheel, many students have challenged and failed.

The way I look at it, is that it is required. That, or you will have to require that every student you ever instruct is required to go buy an electronic E6B. Totally different than saying you should know every system for every plane ever made. I make my students learn on the wheel even if they bring the electronic version, I have nothing against them though....But I am faster with the wheel, many students have challenged and failed.

I have two answers for you.

First, there is nothing wrong with requiring a student to get a piece of equipment if for some reason the instructor considers it necessary. I don't see any reason why an instructor couldn't require their students to get an electronic E6B. I'm mainly thinking of the independent instructors out there who set up their own training courses. If an instructor says to the beginning student, "Buy this textbook, get this video course, and get this electronic E6B," what's wrong with that? It's just part of learning to fly.

On the other hand, an instructor might work for a flight school that has a standardized kit of materials for all their students and all their instructors. In such a case the whiz wheel might be the standard, and the instructor might need to learn the whiz wheel in that case, but remember, that's for that individual program. Just because it's done that way for specific programs doesn't mean a CFI checkride should be administered in the same way.

Second, here's proof a person doesn't *really* need either type:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/e6bcalc.html

That's the site I use on a regular basis when training primary students. All the convenience of the electronic E6B with zero cost and available from anywhere with an internet connection. Plus I bet I could race you using that site and win ;)

I have two answers for you.

First, there is nothing wrong with requiring a student to get a piece of equipment if for some reason the instructor considers it necessary. I don't see any reason why an instructor couldn't require their students to get an electronic E6B. I'm mainly thinking of the independent instructors out there who set up their own training courses. If an instructor says to the beginning student, "Buy this textbook, get this video course, and get this electronic E6B," what's wrong with that? It's just part of learning to fly.

On the other hand, an instructor might work for a flight school that has a standardized kit of materials for all their students and all their instructors. In such a case the whiz wheel might be the standard, and the instructor might need to learn the whiz wheel in that case, but remember, that's for that individual program. Just because it's done that way for specific programs doesn't mean a CFI checkride should be administered in the same way.

Second, here's proof a person doesn't *really* need either type:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/e6bcalc.html

That's the site I use on a regular basis when training primary students. All the convenience of the electronic E6B with zero cost and available from anywhere with an internet connection. Plus I bet I could race you using that site and win ;)

I know I was on a limited budget when I was getting my ratings, so I try not to make students spend more money than they have too. I guess my point also comes from the fact that I work at "one of those schools" that uses the Jeppesen kit that comes with the E6B, so even if I hated it, I would still have to use it.

And my first move in our race will be pull the wireless connection out of the wall!!:D Cause if your not cheatin', your not tryin'!!

I know I was on a limited budget when I was getting my ratings, so I try not to make students spend more money than they have too. I guess my point also comes from the fact that I work at "one of those schools" that uses the Jeppesen kit that comes with the E6B, so even if I hated it, I would still have to use it.

I hear ya. Nothing wrong with any of that. I know where you're coming from. I'm only speaking to the idea of requiring whiz wheel usage on a CFI checkride.

On initial CFI ckeckride is applicant required to show to the inspector that he/she knows how to use E6B whiz wheel flight computer ? Are electronic flight allowed on initial CFI checkride ?

I think one thing the examiner will be looking for is the applicants ability to form complete sentences.

E6B's are great. They never run out of batteries.

Back