Whiteout on Logbook

Wm226

Hi All,

In the past, I have used whiteout to correct errors made when adding totals on each page. Has anyone ever heard of this being an issue with employers?

Thanks!

What about stuff that's crossed out and corrected? I have a few of those where there were some simple math errors and things like that.

What about stuff that's crossed out and corrected? I have a few of those where there were some simple math errors and things like that.

Not a problem at all, I've never even heard of a logbook that was without corrections. Whenever I've made an error, I simply cross it out and initial. Employers have never said anything about it, because anyone who's interviewing you most definitely has errors/corrections in his/hers too.

I do know of at least one guy that was turned down for a regional job a few years back because his logbook was sloppy and Total Time didn't match Single + Multi. Actually, he's the reason why I am extra careful to verify that they add up before I start a new page.

I have plenty of white out in mine from my earlier days, and between a number of aviation interviews it hasn't been an issue.

If you are talking about an error made 20 pages back that you just discovered, I like to make a correction line in the book rather than change the totals on multiple pages with whiteout. If I notice an error right after I do it, normally I'll just do what E Dawg does and strike out the correction and go from there.

Not usually a big deal to make corrections.

You're not ever going get a job. :sarcasm:

I have whiteout, blue ink, black ink, and my daughter even put some spoungebob stickers in there once.

If an employer decides not to hire me then its probably for the better.

You're not ever going get a job. :sarcasm:

I have whiteout, blue ink, black ink, and my daughter even put some spoungebob stickers in there once.

If an employer decides not to hire me then its probably for the better.

Not that he won't ever get a job, but it will reflect poorly on a person to not have a neat logbook and/or resume.

I've got white out in mine. As long as your time adds up right you should be fine. As for employers; what I've been told is that they want to see an improvement in your logging of flight time. So maybe as a private pilot you wrote in crayon and magic marker, or post PPL with a mix of black and blue ink, but now as a professional pilot you should be writing in one color with a nice pen. Personally, I write in black ink only now, unless there is something I want to remember, I will log the flight in red ink.

I have white out over white out over white. Have not had a n interview that looked at my logbook but im sure when and if I do im going to have to answer some questions...all the times add up though.:)

I do know of at least one guy that was turned down for a regional job a few years back because his logbook was sloppy and Total Time didn't match Single + Multi.

Why should they? Mine don't add up either. Didn't know rotor and glider time disqualified you from flying for a regional.

Lots of glider pilots keep separate logbooks from powered. Not uncommon that you will have total time from somewhere else (other category, military, etc)

Not that he won't ever get a job, but it will reflect poorly on a person to not have a neat logbook and/or resume.
Enter the data into Logbook pro. Export it to a PDF. Take it to Kinkos to be bound and covered. Hand them both when you go to your interview. You'll have the neatest logbook there no matter what your original old first logbook full of crappy CFI writing looks like.

Why should they? Mine don't add up either. Didn't know rotor and glider time disqualified you from flying for a regional.

Lots of glider pilots keep separate logbooks from powered. Not uncommon that you will have total time from somewhere else (other category, military, etc)

I wasn't saying nor implying that rotor/glider time doesn't count, only that my buddy's total time didn't match his single + multi. The fact he had no rotor or glider experience can pretty much be inferred from my post. That being said, this wasn't one of those cases where my 'friend' was actually me, so I only have his word to go on. For all I know something else may have prevented him gaining employment, but according to him the time differential/sloppy logbook was the deciding factor.

Either way, after hearing his story it has since prompted me to be extra careful in making sure my times are correct/match up. When you interview, it is anyone's guess what the board will like/dislike, depends a lot on the culture of the company and current supply/demand of the market IMO.

Enter the data into Logbook pro. Export it to a PDF. Take it to Kinkos to be bound and covered. Hand them both when you go to your interview. You'll have the neatest logbook there no matter what your original old first logbook full of crappy CFI writing looks like.

Good idea. I use flightlogg.in instead but apparently I can still export to Excel.

I use green-out and erasable pen... well no more greenout after I started using the pen which you can buy at Walgreens btw.

Back