White Coat - herbs - drug screening

dpc

I am a medical pilot with a long history of white coat. My AME takes into consideration my BP readings from home and gets me to sufficiently relax in his office to get the numbers below the FAA's limit. Readings from home range from 110/65 to 135/85. Average is in the 120's/70's. At the doctor's office it has been as high as 175/92 until he gets me to relax.
My situation now is that I have an employment physical coming up in about a week. (even though I already have a current Class 2 medical). It will be performed at a different location by a doctor employed at the new organization I'll be working for. I know that my BP will most likely be high during this physical so I'm trying to prepare the best I can for it. On another thread here I saw that someone recommended "Michael's Blood Pressure Factors" (a dietary supplement found in health food stores). I've been taking it for about a week. Today I just came back from my AME's office to get a blood pressure screening in preparation for the employment physical next week. My BP was 142/88 on the first reading. I showed him the bottle of pills (the dietary supplement) and he said they can't hurt. My next question was will anything in them show up on a toxicology screening. He questioned the Valerian Root but wasn't sure. I've googled it and see that some say it may give a false positive for Benzodiazepines. Should I stop taking these or just report that I am taking them to help cure my white coat? If I stop now is it still possible to get a false positive 7 days later?

My AME also discussed taking 2.5 mg per day of Bystolic (Betablocker) starting several days before the test. He gave me some samples. He doesn't think I need to be on them long term though. What are your thoughts on this?

Michael's Blood Pressure Factors
Ingredients
Supplement Facts
Serving Size Three (3) Tablets
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Vitamin D (as Calciferol) 50 IU 12%
Vitamin B-6 (as Pyridoxine) 100 mg 5000%
Calcium (as Calcium Amino Acid Chelate) 60 mg 6%
Magnesium (as Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate) 30 mg 7%
Manganese (as Manganese Amino Acid Chelate) 15 mg 750%
Potassium (as Potassium Amino Acid Complex) 210 mg 6%
Proprietary Blend..... 2550 mg
Apple Pectin...500mg
Cayenne Fruit (Capsicum annuum)...500mg
Garlic Clove (Powder Concentrate) (Allium staivum)...500mg
Hawthorne Berry (Cratageus oxyacantha)...500mg
Hops Flower (Humulus lupulus)...200mg
Valerian Root (Valeriana officinalis)...200mg
Taurine...100mg Celery Seed (Apium graveolens)...50mg *

* Daily Value not established.

OTHER INGREDIENTS: Terra Alba (Calcium Sulfate), Maltodextrin, Magnesium Stearate and Stearic Acid.

CAUTION: Not to be taken by pregnant or lactating women. Keep out of reach of children.

Assists body in maintaining healthy fluid balance Provides calming nutrients such as calcium and magnesium Ideal for people with stressful life styles Contains both garlic and cayenne for their healthful attributes.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for your help!

First, I don't know what "proprietary blend" contains and it is 2550 mg worth of something.

Second, just put down you are taking it. That way any positive could be explained.

Third, learn some self-relaxation techniques or do Yoga to relax, that will help you control your blood pressure.

The night before take a 325 mg aspirine before you go to bed and first think in the morning drink a warm glass of water with i ounce of lemon juice and will work like a champ. It does for me and i don't think anyone is scared going to docs office more than me.:rawk:

Thanks for the quick reply. Here's a breakdown of the blend. When I copied and pasted before it looked like the "Proprietary Blend" was in addition to what was listed. Everything below the dashed line IS the Proprietary Blend and adds up to the stated 2550 mg.

Proprietary Blend..... 2550 mg
-------------------------------------
Apple Pectin...500mg
Cayenne Fruit (Capsicum annuum)...500mg
Garlic Clove (Powder Concentrate) (Allium staivum)...500mg
Hawthorne Berry (Cratageus oxyacantha)...500mg
Hops Flower (Humulus lupulus)...200mg
Valerian Root (Valeriana officinalis)...200mg
Taurine...100mg Celery Seed (Apium graveolens)...50mg *

I have tried using the Resperate Device to learn relax and breathe deep. I can get into some deep relaxation while using it but I still seem to have problems with my BP when I have it taken by anyone else - especially when my job relies on a good reading.

Is Bystolic (nebivolol) an FAA approved Betablocker?

Thanks!

Thanks ASA Boy. Sounds easy enough. Maybe I'll give that a shot. I've been trying for years to figure out something that will "work like a champ" for me. Luckily I've got an AME that knows my history. Unfortunately some other doctor giving me a physical may be as understanding. How did you ever come up with that remedy?

Beet juice works wonders in lowering blood pressure too. Don't drink it straight...mix it with carrot juice or something else. Google beet juice for more info.

Thanks ASA Boy. Sounds easy enough. Maybe I'll give that a shot. I've been trying for years to figure out something that will "work like a champ" for me. Luckily I've got an AME that knows my history. Unfortunately some other doctor giving me a physical may be as understanding. How did you ever come up with that remedy?

You welcome. A good friend with the same problem told about it. He said the aspirin thins your blood and the lemon juice and warm water relaxes your the vains while the lemon juice lowers the pressure also keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with you and its all in your mind. Give it a try one of these nights and see what you think.Stay on it for atleast 4 days prior to your test and its magical.

Good luck my friend and hope everything works out for you.:rawk:

Back