Which type would you prefer?

Question from the sidebar here, but does a CRJ type cover the Challenger series?

I know very little about RJ's other than far too many of their pilots have "In N Out Burger" stickers on their flight kits.

*looks at my flight kit*

... :)

Any CeRJ drivers have their pilot cert. handy? I was under the impression that a CRJ 200 and all the small challengers were typed as CL601. A friend of mine sent me a picture of his temp certificate when he passed his type ride at Air Wisky. I swear it said "CL601 SIC".

As far as I can recall, the only Challenger it covers is the Challenger 800/850 (?) which is basically is a CRJ200 in an corporate configuration. All of the other Challengers, the 300, 600, 601, 604 & 605 aren't covered by that type but different ones.

Thanks for the info!

I was always wondering why CRJ pilots weren't getting some experience and disappearing to Challenger operations.

I would go with the Challenger type rating. I think it would be more valuable in the long term. In coolness factor though.... The P180 would be awesome though, I have always been a huge fan of those pusher prop turboprops. I really was sad that the starship had all of the problems that it had.

Any CeRJ drivers have their pilot cert. handy? I was under the impression that a CRJ 200 and all the small challengers were typed as CL601. A friend of mine sent me a picture of his temp certificate when he passed his type ride at Air Wisky. I swear it said "CL601 SIC".

The CRJ200 is a CL-65 type. The other types are CL600 CL601 CL604 and CL300 I believe.

This post brought to you by beta from my iPhone.

And I'd recommend the CL-30. That is one INCREDIBLE airplane, and will be around for a long, LONG time. The Piaggio is definitely cool, but has a very niche market, especially in the US. You don't see many operated Part 91, and if you can get on with Avantair, they obviously take care of typing you when necessary. The CL-30, on the other hand, IS operated by quite a few Part 91 departments, and having that type on the resume (with some time in type) will help immensely.

Thanks for the replies guys. I would feel like a bad @ss mofo flying a P180, but the CL-30 will set me up better career wise. Mucho gracias guys!

Pretty open ended question - tough to answer without lots more information.

Day trips, multi-day trips, or multi-week charter broker trips?
Out-and-backs with productivity sits, or multi-leg marathons?
Charter or corporate or fractional?
Pay scales?
Call-out requirements?
Staffing levels per plane?
Hard days off?

See also: If your operation folds, how portable is your new rating? Is there a market for either type rating? Which one is better?

That brings me to this question. What do you guys think is the most valuable type rating to have on this side of the field? I'm thinking kingair, citation, or lear.

Honestly, I'm not sure it really matters though. I think some turbine time is really all you need if you have a good network going. I mean, Ultra-Air in OMA pretty much only hires high time CFIs. No turbine and no types. Just little itty bitty piston airplane experience.

Obviously a type and time in type is probably best for cold calling.

King Air - Unless it's a B300/350, there is no type. So few of those out there, it doesn't really matter
Citation - Which one? Many many different options. 560 (Bravo, V, Encore) is a good one, C525 (CJ, CJ1, CJ2, CJ3, CJ4 and all the + models of each) is another.
Lear - Assuming you mean LR-JET (20 series, 30 series, 55). Those are getting long in the tooth, but still a solid platform. 35 and 55 are popular "starter jets" now that they're under a mil. Use caution with a cheap "starter jet" job. You might end up not wanting to stay long.

Challenger. Only because it has an APU.

Apparently the a/c blows so cold you can make ice with it and that bad mofo has an espresso machine.

You can make yourself a latte and watch guys in P180's sweat.

I have too much king air time to go no APU not ever not again...

CRJ and Challenger 850: CL-65
Challenger 600/601: CL-600
Challenger 604/605: CL-604
Challenger 300: CL-30

Ahh yeah.

You were actually the first person I thought of when the question came up.

Type rated jet that many companies fly or under 12.5 T-prop that is basically operated by 1 company? Which has a better QoL? That's your answer right there.

That brings me to this question. What do you guys think is the most valuable type rating to have on this side of the field? I'm thinking kingair, citation, or lear.

Honestly, I'm not sure it really matters though. I think some turbine time is really all you need if you have a good network going. I mean, Ultra-Air in OMA pretty much only hires high time CFIs. No turbine and no types. Just little itty bitty piston airplane experience.

Obviously a type and time in type is probably best for cold calling.

CE-500. Covers 8 different models last time I counted. The type is one of the cheapest to acquire too. There are some places that even do the training in the plane.

You were actually the first person I thought of when the question came up.

:D

The sad reality of all of it is that there are fewer differences between a 600 and 605 (different types) than there are between a Hawker 1A and 900XP (same types)

Question from the sidebar here, but does a CRJ type cover the Challenger series?

I know very little about RJ's other than far too many of their pilots have "In N Out Burger" stickers on their flight kits.
Conspicuously absent, sir, but I'm a rehabilitated (reclaimed) RJ driver.

I give it 6 months. :)
We'll see. I don't know, I like the EM2 people, and I'm genuinely stoked to fly a turboprop airplane.

I personally think we're going to get rid of the airplanes here in another few years anyhow, which is a sad day. Embraer needs to take the -145 fuse, put a new wing and PW150A engines on it, and make the next all-the-rage regional airliner.

Back