Which School for the 90 day fast track

PilotPaul

Does anyone have any positive and negative things to help me decide which ATP school to attend for the 90 day fast track program. Unfortunately I live in Pennsylvania and the closest school that offers the fast track program is down in Washington. If I have to travel that far I may as well consider other schools if they offer better training, better aircraft, etc. This is the type of information I am seeking.

Manassas is a great location. My instructor here at ATP was based there first, and had a blast.

The only truly objective criterion you have there is the "better aircraft."

If you can find a school that operates pristine twins that are equipped like ours, maintained like ours, and a fleet that is as new as ours, it isn't being advertised.

Other than that, physically visit every flight school you're considering. The other criteria come down to you which school best fits your needs and which best serves you personally. Face it- a ticket is a ticket.

Negative!
A ticket is NOT a ticket!

You want to take the path to a pilot certificate that will not get you killed on the way or after the tests.

I've lost over 28 friends in this aviation business in the last two years. Some were just stupid stupid accidents, some were freak accidenst (heart attack), and others were a direct result of POOR flight training.

How can you tell if you are getting good instruction?

How can you tell if the processes you are learning will cause you problems in the future?

You don't.

But you can do your due dilligence and research the living daylights out of problems. You can chat with FSDOs and find out how many students from the various programs end up going through the remedial instruction program.

Then you find out after making sure the airplanes are in excellent condition (decent no longer matters), and the flight school management is PAYING ATTENTION TO THEIR INSTRUCTORS, it all comes down to the flight instructor.

I can give an opinion on ATPs' equipment and management. I can tell you that their instructors are not causing ATC problems in SoCal or Central California. But the rest is up to you.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I've lost over 28 friends in this aviation business in the last two years.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell? You've had 28 friends die in aviation accidents. Thats pretty odd/freaky to know that many people who have died in aviation.

It is. The numbers just keep getting bigger.

However, I do know a lot of people. My address book has over 500 names. The names I don't have in my address book easily exceed 1000. That's not including family (no one in aviation there, though).

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Whoa! You have endured tremendous loss. I can only imagine what it feels like. I'm truly sorry.

Well, this forum isn't intended for this kind of discussion... but I stand by what I say, no matter what: a ticket is a ticket. No matter where a pilot gets it, a piece of paper (for example) that declares her a multi-engine rated commercial pilot with instrument priveleges simply allows that person plenty more chances to kill themselves. Period.

I, human error, Newtonian physics nor the FAA give a sh*t which school they got it from, and that is an immutable fact. Taking it further: you can train a monkey to fly a Seminole, even teach it to fly the PTS and get a rating, but you can't make it a pilot.

A ticket doesn't make a pilot.

Flight schools don't make pilots, either. Bungling "mortals" with some regimented training, a damned good head on their shoulders, and the ability to translate as many errors (both their own and made by others they've read about) into good judgment int he future without breaking laws, planes or bones make THEMSELVES pilots. The worst part? Even the best ones die flying.

A ticket is a ticket.

That's my point. Just find the place that gets you there the best way possible.

Back