Which path to follow?

I'm at IFS with a class of 93 and we've already had 2 guys quit. Both CSO selects with no flight experience. We've flown one sortie, and been here for 7 training days.

Ian, PM comin' your way re: T-1 washout guy.

****, you're at IFS already that didn't take long Lt.

Wow. In my class way back when, we started with 35 and graduated 16 (18, if you include the 2 who left for helos at Ft Rucker after Phase II).

Even "more way back when" (1966-1967 Class 68C) we stared with 60, and 49 graduated. I can't remember any that were eliminated due to flying proficiency. Most were "SIE" (Self Initiated Elimination) i.e. just quit and maybe one medical, although most of us felt the "medical" was because the gutless wonder just didn't want to fly but didn't have the balls to admit it and SIE.

So much from 42 years ago....gahhhhhh!

Holy cow! I guess you got that car rebuilt!

Do you know how many former DFW guys talk about you still? :)

Correct more or less. I can tell you that I'm not committed to the AF right now. I have not signed anything or sworn in and can decline my commission if I choose. I won't be fully committed until I swear in before leaving for OTS. You will have a medical screening at MEPS before even applying, but it's not too in depth. If and when you're selected, then you'll get your FC1 done and you'll wait until it's approved before leaving for OTS. If it's not approved you'll be medically DQ'd from being a pilot and reclassified into another job. At this point you should still have the option to decline your commission if you so choose and return to civilian life.

It sounds like you're going to be shooting for the 10OT03 board next spring, that is if you're going AD. FYI, -03 boards usually pick less applicants than -01 boards. To give you an idea, last fiscal year (FY09) there were only 32 pilots selected from the -03 board, however for the previous -01 board there were 116 pilots selected; something to think about.

As far as flight hours are concerned it seems you're of the mind that the board will think you don't have any follow through when it comes to getting your PPL or that you're not serious about it. It's a legitimate concern and I guess it comes down to how much flight time were talking about. If you have over 100 hrs and don't have a PPL then you might be right, but if you're still in double digits then I don't think it will impact you negatively, just my opinion. Regardless, you will be able to explain why you haven't finished it in your personal statement if you feel you need to.

Trust me at this point you have nothing but time. Research the process and don't let a recruiter bull**** you. Here are some links to help you out.

Everything for applying to OTS: http://airforceots.com/portal/index.php
ANG process: http://wantscheck.com/PilotSlotResources/ANGPilotSlot/tabid/63/Default.aspx
Great thread by fellow JC'er mhcasey: http://forums.jetcareers.com/military-pilots/93994-aspiring-military-aviators.html
Also check out the boards at http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/ and http://www.wantscheck.org/Default.aspx?tabid=73

Hope that helps.

Thanks Superfly, I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. That's an unbelievable difference between the spring and fall board. I will likely apply for the spring one, and fall of 2010 as well. I have been searching the baseops, wantscheck, AF OTS forums, etc for a couple years now, but I have to re-read the most current rules regarding package role over. Since I am going to try to complete my private pilot over the summer, and the fall board contains more slots, I'll have a better shot at it. ALso, thankfully I don't have more than 100 hours and no private pilot yet. I think I am somewhere around 65 or so after over 7 years of flying spaced out with different lengths of breaks, which most were 3.5 years or so. The flying part comes back very naturally, but I have to keep re-studying everything when I'm away for so long and concentrating on school. If you don't mind, keep us posted on your flight training. If others starting AF flight training soon such as Ian, frogflyer and mcasey are reading this thread still, I would definitely enjoy reading flight training updates on jetcareers from all of you if time allows.

military flying is pretty fun man...i had close to 300 hours and now i'm around 430, still in UPT, and absolutely love the military flying over the civilian flying....one thing to think about too is if you don't finish UPT you only have a 5 year commitment....not the 10 if you would have graduated UPT....which will be both good for you and look pretty dang good on a resume.....just something to think about

Thanks Ian, congratulations and it sounds like amazing flying that's for sure. I remember reading another blog of a guy going through flight training in the AF, and it inspired me even more. I wasn't aware of the exact commitment if flying wasn't an option, but I did know the cimmitment was of shorter duration. Five years is definitely different than 10, no doubt about that.

Thanks Ian, congratulations and it sounds like amazing flying that's for sure. I remember reading another blog of a guy going through flight training in the AF, and it inspired me even more. I wasn't aware of the exact commitment if flying wasn't an option, but I did know the cimmitment was of shorter duration. Five years is definitely different than 10, no doubt about that.

no problem...if you have any questions i'd be more than happy to answer them just shoot me a pm if you want

Back