Which path are YOU taking?

I hope everyone doesnt mind reading my story, i might drag it out... anyway. I guess you can say flying is in my blood. My icon is my grandfather: a verteran of two wars, and former B-29 pilot in Korea, he went on to work for Eastern Airlines and retired as chief pilot. I grew up around airline pilots ( i guess that's what I can honestly say what's wrong with me
grin.gif
) and used to go down to the company picnics/airshows down at a strip in south atlanta. I was obsessed with planes.... well, after a bad writeoff from a someone less-than-legit medical examiner, my granddad lost his medical and that was the end. He went on to get his A/P license, but I quit worrying about flying... until I was about 16, when someone (I think my dad) put the idea in my head that I should learn to fly (I was a less than happy teen, I guess he thought I needed some kind of hobby)... I started flying in my grandad's cub with my aunt, learning the basics with the intent of finding a flight instructor. It took me two years before I found someone suitable, and I began training the summer after I graduated high school.. .but schedule conflicts left big gaps in my flying time, and my instructor passed me on to another guy at the school to see if I could get anything going with him. This was before September 11th... Shortly after September 11th, this bonehead instructor decided it would be a good idea to buzz a fair down in southern ga.... people were terrified, some were injured, my instructor was thrown in jail, and once again, I was without a CFI.... the setbacks were getting extremely discouraging, but I was determined not to quit... I got back with my old instructor (who I enjoy flying with very much) and soloed on New Years Day 2002. Now, a year and a half later (these breaks are killing me) Im close to putting an end to my PP training within the next couple of months.

The Road has been tough on me, but that has fueled me to keep going. Although Im now 20, I still feel like Im well ahead of the game... there are many people who wish for me to suceed, including my instructor who is letting me fly in his work planes with him (aero commander and senaca II) allowing me to log free multi time, my grandad, who got his medical back last year, (about 15 years after it was taken away and he was told he had two years to live), and most importantly, myself. I plan to graduate from Georgia State with a degree in marketing in two years, and by then I hope to have my commercial and begin CFI training. I hope to get my tailwheel endorsement this summer (my granddad is teaching me in the cub
laugh.gif
) and possibly my complex... dear lord I have rambled, but there is a lot to say I guess... happy flying!!

Back