Which path are YOU taking?

Let's see......

I've always been an airplane nut,however during high school I became involved with my high school radio station,so flying took a back seat to that. After graduation I decided that I needed a break from school so I decided to get a job with an airline. My first airline job was not the best one I could have found and I became somewhat disgusted with the industry as a whole.

Then I got hired by a little niche airline called SWA. Working with the pilots there made me realize that I could have a place in the industry as a pilot. So what did I do....start looking at the pilot mills. After deciding on Comair,I got a new job with another niche carrier,which put going to Comair on hold for a wild. Now I have decided to attend Broward Comm. College, which I hope to start in the fall(assuming I EVER get a transfer to PBI/FLL!). Hopefully I'll get to instruct for a while and then head on to a good regional like Comair. Eventually I would love to fly for SW,JB,or FRNT.

That's my plan....it will be fun to look back on this in 10 years and see what changed!

Shemsey,

I am still in high school and plan to go to university somewhere other than U.W.O. I think there is someone else in the forum with the user name Chris who attends the uwo aviation program.

-FlyCanuck

I finalized that my career will be in Aviation when I was 13. I am now 16. Finished my HS education have my diploma and Im currently enrolled at a local college for 2 years until I transfer to a UC (university of California). Then im going to apply to FSA. At Vero beach florida. Hopefully I will have a PPL by that time. Then once excepted I ship off to Florida. To get all my training. Once its finished. Im going to try to find a regular job to start paying off my loan. And during that time search for a CFI job. if I dont find one I will move back to Sacramento and Continue to work and search While flying on weekends to keep my resume updated.

That is a pretty good plan considering I have about 5-10 more years to go before I even GET an aviation job. But my advice to you is stay in school (HS or College) And work your butt off.
wink.gif

I am currently in HS at KC and know that I have light years to go, but I plan on entering a college where I can get my certificates and have them count for credit so I am currently looking at schools in Kansas and Missouri such as Central Missouri State U. of St. Louis, K-State, etc. After I obtain my certs. and graduate, I plan on working as an Instructor to build time. Thats my current route which will probably change 100 times. Oh Well.

A smart man once said, "The only way you can fail, is if you don't try."
That man went on to win 6 NBA titles. If you haven't already guessed, it is Micheal Jordan.

Chris,

Is UWO associated with Empire or Aero Academy?
confused.gif
I have heard different things from different people and I want to get it clarified.

-FlyCanuck

Flycanuck,
UWO is associated with Empire. Aero Academy has nothing associated with them. From what I hear the UWO programs is really terrible, we have had quite a few people who said that left empire and diamond to come to us, as well as hearing from others that are in the program it is not worth it. If you want good flight training come to Aero Academy, it's a much friendlier atmosphere as I hear Empire's instructors are all stuck up, plus you get the same license with us at many thousands cheaper than Empire and Diamond.

Shemsey

I'll make this short and sweet.

Graduate with non-avation degree mid 2003

Get all ratings except ATP at FSA in Oct for 14mos or so.

Get some odd job instructing or maybe charter flying until CFI position comes up at FSA, then instruct there for 1-2yr until I have enough hours to apply for regionals.

Work at regional 3-4yrs until enough time to apply for majors.

Get major airline job.

The plan is to accomblish all that before I'm 30.

Any questions?
smirk.gif

In defence to Shemsey, I have in fact heard the opposite... that Aero has the problems, not Empire.

I go to Empire myself, and I really like it. The instructors are good, not at all stuck up. The facilities are brand new and the aircraft are in good condition.

As far as price is concerned, I'm paying $32,000 for a ppl, night, cpl, MIFR, class 4 instructor rating, which includes over 30 hours multi. Pretty good deal if you ask me. Of course, prices are probably higher now.

Flycanuck, if you want the real answer, visit both places yourself, speak to the instructors, check out the airplanes, check out the facilities, etc. If you plan to choose Aero/Empire, you will have to visit both places yourself to see which one suits you better. DO NOT simply rely on hearsay from me, Shemsey, or others because you will just keep hearing opposites.

I know nothing about Aero fist hand, but I have been with Empire for over 1 year now, and I really like the place. The UWO program is good, and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in a business degree program.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask me.

Aviationfreak - welcome to a fellow Kansas Citian! I've heard some really good things about CMSU's aviation program.

Me? I wanted to fly from the first time I set foot on an airliner as a kid - as obsessed with airplanes as I was, though, I was even more obsessed with horses and showing them. I couldn't give that part of my life up to go fly, so went to school and got a BA in Graphic Design.

The itch never quite got scratched, though, and while I enjoy my job and what I do, I was a closet aviation fanatic. I'd read sites (such as this!) over lunch, go buy flying magazines. I felt too tied to the horses, but I was getting burned out on the showing gig.

Finally I'd had enough. I'd been flying with a friend of mine and was rapidly becoming hooked. Started saving cash and sold my show horse. Started my PPL last summer, finished in October, currently working on my IR. And loving it. I gave up my amateur status for the horse shows, and try to keep a horse in training and have a couple of students to earn some extra cash for flying. I love to teach so I can't wait to CFI.

So that's my story. I'm working full time (plus freelance work, training & teaching on the side) while I'm flying, and plan to continue to do so for the forseeable future. I guess you can say I'm a career changer, I've been out of school for 6 years. I'm training at a good-sized part 61 flight school at a Class D field in town, plus I'm flying out of a nearby uncontrolled field to continue to build some hours and do my "fun" flying - you can't beat the rates there!

Sarah

Snow,
Just noticed you are in Canberra! Are you studying/working here?
Do you ever get over to the sunny side of Australia?
wink.gif
Perth of course!
Cheers,
MNC

Well, I can say that I have really no plans to fly professionally.

That's not to say I haven't thought about it, but right now my intentions are just to fly.

Davetheflyer's story is about where I'm at. I started flying in my late 20's (just recently). I'd always been fascinated with planes (actually planes, cars, trains, boats, anything that moves really). To me there is just something exhilarating about taking control of a machine that can take you places.

So, with just a few lessons under my belt I'm just waiting to see where it takes me. If I end up flying for a living that'll be awesome, but I'm keeping things open.

My only goal in aviation is to fly. Nothing more.

Cheers.

Naunga

I have checked out both of their websites. Aero does not really have a lot of info regarding aircraft and facilities. I will have to check it out for myself. Empire seems great but a little bit more $ than Aero. It will prbly come down to what I get for what I have to pay.

Hey Flycanuck

Come sometime when I'm working and I'll give you a tour of the place, to see it firsthand, I myself am in grade 11 and from hearing from others students from both places it comes down to preferance, if you want to fly in brand new katana airplanes empire is the way to go but you will pay for it, and if you want to fly the 152's or 172's like most people in aviation has come to us, in the end you end up with the same license, and for twins, the seneca has a little extra juice than the seminole, it's a sweet plane, and if you want more, than we have the aztec as well, we're also one of 3 places in ontario that charter people and have been in business much longer than empire so we have more experience and lots of pilots that trained from aero fly for Air Canada, at present the founder of Air Ontario son flies at our school........so you know we know what we're doing if you have any questions email me shemsey@hotmail.com

Shemsey

[ QUOTE ]
Just noticed you are in Canberra! Are you studying/working here?
Do you ever get over to the sunny side of Australia? Perth of course!
Cheers,
MNC

[/ QUOTE ]

Working and studying here, in fact I've been in Australia since 1988 and I am a duel Australian / US Citizen. I've lived in Brisbane, Melbounre and Canberra.

Yes I was in Perth for 2wks back in 1994 for the Scout Jambouree. I remember it was bloody hot, like didn't get below 30 for a week and was 42 2 days in a row. I also remembr the Indian ocean is kinda a different color from the Pacific
smile.gif
Hum what else.. I was amazed that Perth was virtually a ghost town come a public holiday, only a cenima and some tourist shop was open.

[ QUOTE ]
I remember it was bloody hot, like didn't get below 30 for a week and was 42 2 days in a row

[/ QUOTE ]
I know exactly what you are saying!! Summer over here is a pain sometimes... even preflighting at 5am can leave you dripping with sweat.
I'm jealous of your dual citizenship, I have been in the green card lottery 3 yrs straight now with no luck
frown.gif
I'll keep on trying though!
Cheers

Shemsey,

I plan to take a look at both schools in June and maybe even an intro flight. I have a question though, at what age can someone start training for a PPL? and if you get a recreational licence, do your hours from that carry over to your PPL?

-FlyCanuck

You can start training at any age. You can start learning to fly at 8 years old, not solo of course (until 16).

To earn your PPL, though, you have to be 17.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in Canada and so we here have a Recreational license which you can have at 16 and you can solo at 14 in Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

quote from shemsey

Sure the hours carry over to the private I started when I was 15 and trained for the private and just in between did a flight test, i wrote the private written which is valid for rec license, and so only had to do 1 written and 2 flight tests, basically only difference between the two training wise is that private has instrument and a X/C...... good idea to get an intro flight, for half an hour we charge $45, good deal and its logable!

Back