Which one would a airline hire?

Which one of these would a a major airline hire?

A. A pilot with 2500 TT. 1500 Turbine. 4 Year Degree

or

B. A pilot with 3000 TT. 1500 Turbine. No degree.

[ QUOTE ]

or

[/ QUOTE ]

A!!! You need that degree!!!

Too subjective of a question. There's a ton of other factors that they look at with candidates.

Could be both, could be neither.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

or

[/ QUOTE ]

A!!! You need that degree!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily.

C. The guy with 2,000 tt, 800 Turbine PIC, a 2-year degree and had his resume walked in by the chief pilot's buddy.

Like Miks said .. too subjective ... too many variables ... no one knows.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Too subjective of a question. There's a ton of other factors that they look at with candidates.

Could be both, could be neither.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense.

Yeah, but he only gave that information.

With JUST that information, and no else to go on, pilot A would be more likely to be hired.

[ QUOTE ]

With JUST that information, and no else to go on, pilot A would be more likely to be hired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still too subjective. What kind of hours does pilot A have over pilot B? What's the quality of their flight time? Does pilot A have 2500 TT of 172 time and a degree, while pilot B has 2000 TT (of his total) of turbine multi engine time and no degree? The information is still too limited.

Would be akin to someone wanting to hire a salad chef for a restaraunt and asking who would be the better candidate: the guy with the 4 year degree in philosophy, or the guy with the 4 year degree in geology.

[ QUOTE ]

Still too subjective. What kind of hours does pilot A have over pilot B? What's the quality of their flight time? Does pilot A have 2500 TT of 172 time and a degree, while pilot B has 2000 TT (of his total) of turbine multi engine time and no degree? The information is still too limited.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back up and look at the first post... each pilot has 1500 turbine.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back up and look at the first post... each pilot has 1500 turbine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am referring to the total time. And speaking of the 1500 turbine, again, in what? Still a very open-ended and subjective question that there's no true answer for.

All I'm saying is that any answer to this question would be inaccurate.

How about re-phrasing the question as, "which would be more likely to get hired, given the qualifications mentioned above and all other variables equal?"

In that case I'd have to say that an extra 500 hours of TT is not nearly enough for candidate B to be more qualified than candidate A, but that's just my guess.

747, you seem dead set on not getting a degree. Why are you so apposed to it? Alright, yes, you can get hired by a major without a degree. But I promise you, you are much, much more likely to get hired if you have one.

Seriously what is it? Are you afraid you'll be too old to have a career with the airlines if you waste 4 years of your life in college? Are you afraid you'll hit puberty before being the captain of a 777? Get over it. You've got your whole life ahead of you, and plenty of time. Take advantage of it.

[ QUOTE ]
How about re-phrasing the question as, "which would be more likely to get hired, given the qualifications mentioned above and all other variables equal?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I could easily buy that as a more accurate question.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a scenario that would not happen. Airlines, and employers in general don't make decisions based on that narrow criteria.

The question is moot. No decision will ever be made on the basis of TT, Turbine PIC, and Degree status alone.

Get the degree.

---This advice is coming from a guy with almost 6000 hours, 2 type ratings, 3.5 years at Regional, a wife, 2 kids, a dog, and a mortgage still plugging away at degree in the wee bit of spare time he has. All this to be a little more competitive if SWA decides to give me a call one day : )

Get the degree. It is that important.

I think somewhere inbetween 90% & 95% of airline pilots have degrees, not to mention a fair few of them being military trained, I think you'd be at a great disadvantage by not having a degree in this competitive market.

the question is very subjective, but in the end if you want to work for a major get the degree it will help you tremendously,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]David, I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree wholeheartedly.

Can you succeed without one? Probably. Will you be far more likely to succeed with one? Absolutely!

Russ

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]David, I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree wholeheartedly.

Can you succeed without one? Probably. Will you be far more likely to succeed with one? Absolutely!

Russ

[/ QUOTE ]

you said it!!! and besides, college is fun, theres lots of girls, you get to learn stuff that youll probably never use but whats important is that you showed your ability to learn, AND THAT IS WHATS IMPORTANT. sure it sucks staying up late to study and there has been many times where ive wanted to quit but thats something you have to deal with in order to get the piece of paper that says you did it. and thats all i am after.

Slightly off topic....FL270, will you be in town during the week of the 22nd to the 27th? I may be out in Greenville for a day or two...

Like everyone else, its too vague. One thing i will say though is that the person with the college degree will be the person who can keep income coming to build more time when they are not hired.

Back