Which one would a airline hire?

Get the degree dude. Not just because it looks good, but if you go to a school like Riddle or UND, they can connect you to the industry like you wouldn't believe if you're motivated. Internships and Co-ops make an aviation degree absolutely invaluable. Just ask the 100 or so ACA captains that got hired out of the bridge program with 600 TT and 100 ME.

747 how come you are trying to avoid the degree so much? if you dont go for a degree your chances of getting hired are slimmer than if you had the degree. I sure wouldnt wanna do something that hurt my chances of getting hired.

for example.........................

from Alaska Airlines------

Minimum Qualifications:
Experience: Minimum of 1500 hours total pilot time in fixed wing aircraft. Minimum 750 PIC hours in multi-engine (turbojet/ turboprop) aircraft or single-engine high performance military jet. Minimum 50 hours flown within the last 12 months.

Education:Four year degree given preference.

Licenses and Certificates: Airline Transport Pilot (ATP)

from Delta Airlines.........

Be at least twenty-one years of age.
Have graduated from a four-year degree program from a college or university accredited by a recognized accrediting organization. Post graduate education will be given favorable consideration.
Hold a FAA commercial fixed-wing pilot license with an instrument rating.
Hold a valid FAA Flight Engineer written exam (FEB and FEJ or FEX).

From Southwest Airlines......

Medical:
Must possess a current FAA Class 1 Medical Certificate. Must pass FAA mandated Drug Test.
Authorization to work in the United States:
Must have established authorization to work in the United States.
Driver's License:
Must possess a valid United States Driver's License.
Education:Graduation from accredited, four-year college preferred.
Letters of Recommendation:
At least three letters from any individuals who can attest to the pilot’s flying skills, by having observed them over a sustained period of time.

as you can see these are just 3 random airlines i picked out of the majors (alaska might not quite be a major??) to show that you need a degree if you wanna have a decent chance of making it.

Kelly

Thanks Montana!

If I had thought ahead, I'd have collected the angry emails from pilots with thousands of hours that were bitter and quite upset at me* about not being able to find a job when the airlines were briskly hiring pilots.

They'd want to argue about how many hours they had in all types of aircraft and demanded that I* justify the value of a degree, yadda yadda yadda.

Pretty much the reason why I preach and preach and preach about young people getting college degrees, but I'd say 60% of the people actually listen. The other 40% angrily email me later about not getting callbacks. Greeat.

*still trying to figure that one out!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Slightly off topic....FL270, will you be in town during the week of the 22nd to the 27th? I may be out in Greenville for a day or two...

[/ QUOTE ]Far as I know, I'll be right here. Come on down!

Russ

Whatcha gonna do?

You can't make them go to college. And if they won't listen when you tell them that makes them less competitive, well, too bad for them.

Especially when those of us with college degrees end up with the job that they thought belonged to them.

[ QUOTE ]

from Delta Airlines.........

Be at least twenty-one years of age.
Have graduated from a four-year degree program from a college or university accredited by a recognized accrediting organization. Post graduate education will be given favorable consideration.
Hold a FAA commercial fixed-wing pilot license with an instrument rating.
Hold a valid FAA Flight Engineer written exam (FEB and FEJ or FEX).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, so Delta prefers people with post-graduate degrees! Soon, they will have pHDs in the cockpit (I am sure thay already have some with doctorates).
shocked.gif

Anyway, college is fun. I had a great time during my undergraduate at Virginia Tech. I wish I had stayed to finish up my Masters but I didn't. I am working on it part time now and boy it is hard!

Get that degree. Not only to get preference during interviews but also for a back up in case you get furloughed, lose a medical or somthing else horrible happens.

Mahesh

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody else think we're being trolled?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I've said it before. The reason why I think this, he doesn't respond to any of his questions he asks. All his posts are thread starters and he asks the most absurd questions.

I'm in college right now and it's a blast. I plan on taking some flight training sometime soon. Look at it this way, get the degree if not only to get into the majors but if aviation falls through you can always fall back on the degree. I think we can all agree on the fact that nothing is a sure thing in the aviation industry.

-tiger

[ QUOTE ]
Quite a few guys that I fly with have Master's degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what any of them are in?

Thanks!

Lots of stuff.

The captain I'm flying with now has a masters in "counseling".

Retired Air Force big wig, flew O-2's in "Thailand" (wink wink), flew the "Swing Wing Edsel" (F-111) and did a stint in the training command in T-37's and was the battle commander (or something like that) in Korea at Osan AFB.

[ QUOTE ]
a degree in counseling is good for a Capt to have when dealing with FA's with PMS

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a degree in counseling is good for a Capt to have when dealing with FA's with PMS

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

or a parachute.

[ QUOTE ]
Which one of these would a a major airline hire?

A. A pilot with 2500 TT. 1500 Turbine. 4 Year Degree

or

B. A pilot with 3000 TT. 1500 Turbine. No degree.

[/ QUOTE ]
They'd hire the person that DIDN'T think every question had a black & white answer.

Right, so I am obviously new to this forum stuff. What does "being trolled" mean? I'm sure this its an obvious answer and I think I have an idea of what it means, but it never hurts to ask.

Back