Which One of These Aircraft Do You Think Is Closer?

Hmm, if that's true then the 737 must be somewhat low on the glide with the 767 on the slope. If the 737 is on the glide, then the 767 must be above, since the runways end at the same point. Hmm, doesn't add up having the 737 closest.
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, if that's true then the 737 must be somewhat low on the glide with the 767 on the slope. If the 737 is on the glide, then the 767 must be above, since the runways end at the same point. Hmm, doesn't add up having the 737 closest.
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Due to the angle from the runway of the picture, the 767 is actually behind the 737 on final. Plus, realize that the 737 and 767 glideslope antennas are in the radome (if I remember correctly), so it only appears that the 767 is higher on the glideslope due to the height and size of the aircraft.

well, the 767 is a larger plane. I wanna say the 737, but really have no idea. Its going to bother me all night not knowing.

Aaron,

What part of Joe's reply was not clear to you?

[ QUOTE ]
And if that doesn't convince you, I searched the Airliners.net forums and found the exact same post as this one. One of the members contacted the photographer, and here's the response:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your interst in the photo. I had no idea that it would come to this, but I truly do appreciate the interest. The answer to the question is the 737. Just by looking at the photo, the best evidence I could come up with would be the relative size of the main passenger doors or even the relative size of a 767 vs a 737. And just to clear up any controversy, I do actually have a photo showing the 737 in front.
Thanks again,
-Stephen Rubke

[/ QUOTE ]

I measured the lengths on my screen, and then compared the ratio.

The 737 measured 36. The 767 measured 46.
The ratio computes to 1.28 : 1 as viewed in the photo.

Not sure if I have the models exactly correct, but if they are 737-300 and 767-300, then the lengths should be 109' and 180' respectively.
Ratio comes out 1.65, meaning if the planes are the same distance, the 767 should appear 1.65 times longer.

Since the measured lengths in the photo make the 767 only 1.28 times longer, I conclude that the 737 must be closer .
smile.gif

Of course, there is a good chance I have the models wrong. If somebody has better numbers for the 767/737 lengths let's plug 'em in.

Good lord man...that was quantam physics s!*t !
confused.gif
73 is closer cuz the guys said it was..thats my quantam physics answer!

Basic vortex avoidance procedures, AIM 7-3-6-b-2.: Landing behind a larger aircraft - when parallel runway is closer than 2,500 feet --consider possible drift to your runway. Stay at or above the larger aircraft's final approach flight path - note its touchdown point. Land beyond it.

The big boys follow the same procedures as the little guy's.

Back