Which FARs do you want deleted?

Be very careful what you wish for in that regard.

Right, @jtrain609 and @Seggy?

Kind of like anyone who bags on part 117 but never had to live through the old rest rules at a regional. I don't miss getting 5 hours of sleep and then working 16 hours because regional contracts don't have "behind the door" provisions. Basically people who don't know acting a fool.

Kind of like anyone who bags on part 117 but never had to live through the old rest rules at a regional. I don't miss getting 5 hours of sleep and then working 16 hours because regional contracts don't have "behind the door" provisions. Basically people who don't know acting a fool.
Yep.

You don't miss diverting for weather. Sitting on the ground for hours. Given and EDCT. Board up, taxi out. Ground stop extended. Taxiing back. Deplaning. Timing out. Waiting an hour for crew scheduling to find you a hotel. Being told you have to be back 8 hours from when you blocked in, NOT from when you finally got a hotel room. Takes another 30-40 minutes to get to the hotel because they don't know what you're talking about when you call for the shuttle. Told you're working the same flight number in the morning (because: completion factor!) AND doing the scheduled flying you were supposed to do the next day too because, well, legal to start, legal to finish? C'mon!

#truestoryfromthe"old"days

But the way things work in this country now is "WE GOTTA GET RID OF THE WHOLE THING" instead of tweaking and making adjustments. It's a wonder the we haven't had a new Constitution every 3 years since 1776.

You don't miss diverting for weather. Sitting on the ground for hours. Given and EDCT. Board up, taxi out. Ground stop extended. Taxiing back. Deplaning. Timing out. Waiting an hour for crew scheduling to find you a hotel. Being told you have to be back 8 hours from when you blocked in, NOT from when you finally got a hotel room. Takes another 30-40 minutes to get to the hotel because they don't know what you're talking about when you call for the shuttle. Told you're working the same flight number in the morning (because: completion factor!) AND doing the scheduled flying you were supposed to do the next day too because, well, legal to start, legal to finish? C'mon!

#truestoryfromthe"old"days

How about getting cancelled in base and it takes two hours to GET a hotel, and another hour to get there. Then when you call scheduling to tell them what time you got the hotel you're told that your show time is in 5 hours and to deal with it. I told them I'd be there in 8 hours, and that they could give me a missed trip if they wanted and hung up.

Oh, or after being on duty 24 hours due to a lack of hotel rooms, being told at 0800 that you're being put on reduced rest to work three legs that night?

Yup. The old rules were amazing.

How about getting cancelled in base and it takes two hours to GET a hotel, and another hour to get there. Then when you call scheduling to tell them what time you got the hotel you're told that your show time is in 5 hours and to deal with it. I told them I'd be there in 8 hours, and that they could give me a missed trip if they wanted and hung up.

Oh, or after being on duty 24 hours due to a lack of hotel rooms, being told at 0800 that you're being put on reduced rest to work three legs that night?

Was a fatigue call not a thing back then?

Pfft...aint no self-respecting professional got any time for that.

Bye. I'll be there when I get there as a certificate holder who actually values my certificate unlike you Mr. Scheduling minion who has no idea the liability they actually are responsible for as a representative of the Certificate holder.

"REGULATIONS ARE THE DEVIL!" folks should be made to look at crash scene photos when it comes to this kind of stuff. Then again, they only care about themselves anyway so I doubt it would matter.

I've personally been at crashsites and watched accidents happen with my own eyes...

I know for a fact some accidents wouldn't happen if the feds had their crap together with regards to certifying and getting new approaches up and running.

I've personally been at crashsites and watched accidents happen with my own eyes...

I know for a fact some accidents wouldn't happen if the feds had their crap together with regards to certifying and getting new approaches up and running.
My comment was more aimed at the people that think we should do away with them.

I think some of them could certainly go - frankly I think "increased gross weights for aircraft operated in the state of alaska" that were certified under the old rules is kind of dumb.
Well, man, that's just how you do stuff in Alaska, right? It'll be FIIIIINE.

:ooh:

I was still in the airplane the other night when we became illegal for the return leg, and they were telling me my rest was commencing with no hotel assigned and so on. Not unlike @surreal1221 I put my foot down and squashed that crap, firmly.

"Um, I have to taxi this thing over to the pad first—" (don't get uppity, we could still do that) "—and then I will notify you of the time at which we are released so that you can realistically reschedule."

200kts below the bravo has got to go

Especially if you're going to a satellite airport and, while you know the Bravo boundaries for that particular airspace, you're going too fast to know exactly when you're descending/passing out of it or coming back in.

200kts below the bravo has got to go

As a guy that regularly flies an arc under and outside to avoid the bravo, I disagree. That 50kts makes a difference in closure rate to the aircraft not squawking and talking while circumnavigating the bravo.

The amount of traffic avoiding the bravo is larger than most are aware of and the speed limit helps reduce head on collisions. Remember the recent crash with a Twin Commando in the PHX area? He was avoiding the bravo for whatever reason and and hit a mountain. While his collision into the mountain isn't necessarily related to speed, but an example of the volume that flies around and under bravo.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

As a guy that regularly flies an arc under and outside to avoid the bravo, I disagree. That 50kts makes a difference in closure rate to the aircraft not squawking and talking while circumnavigating the bravo.

The amount of traffic avoiding the bravo is larger than most are aware of and the speed limit helps reduce head on collisions. Remember the recent crash with a Twin Commando in the PHX area? He was avoiding the bravo for whatever reason and and hit a mountain. While his collision into the mountain isn't necessarily related to speed, but an example of the volume that flies around and under bravo.

That accident was due to piss poor decision making.

As much of a pain as it is to slow to 200 knots in an airliner below the bravo, I've seen guys in Citations moving at a Southwest 250 knots at 2,500 while VFR and talking to nobody. When you're in a Cessna, that closure rate increases the chances of you getting hit without seeing it coming.

Most countries that allow over 250 below 10k do it via controller assigned speed. Which I think would work here to.
We already do more than 250 in the climb when operationally necessary.

Back